Made a wind indicator

iconoclast

I fabricated one outta a coat hanger and recording tape. Its v shaped, v forward, with the tape at each end of the V.(like in one of the raceing books)

I used 1/2 inch tape cause its easier for me to see. 2 pcs per side.

I attached it to the spar just above the mast with a band clamp.

I can see one of the arms no matter which side of the sail I sit on.

We went out today and I really like it. You know where the wind is coming from much more precisely and quickly.

I need some more practice zeroing in on its best angle relative to the sail, but did pretty good today with the wind changing direction a lot.

Secular

Here is related info from the Sunfish Knowledge Base (upper bar on the left). Different Sunfishers contributed the following:

I've been using a wind indicator made of audio tape strung from a coat hanger attached to the upper spar at about eye level, and it has worked quite well. The biggest disadvantage is that it was difficult to read on reaches and runs during sunny weather. The tell tales work quite well where the wind indicator does not.

I also use the same eye-level indicator that you do: a straightened coat hanger taped to the upper spar so that it sticks out on either side. I first saw this in Larry Lewis's book Sail it Flat, which was out of print for a long time but has now been reprinted in The Sunfish Bible. Per his design, I sometimes use a big clamp (instead of tape) to secure it to the spar. He recommends a metal electrical clamp, but all-plastic ones are now available at Home Depot (they are lighter and don't rust). On each end of the wire hanger I have a taped a length (about 8") of reel-to-reel audio tape, which is about 1/4" wide.

For downwind legs, you'll want a masthead indicator. Here I straightened another coat hanger, bent it in half, and taped it to the upper spar so it sticks straight up. A 10" length of videotape at the top makes a great "which gybe is favored" indicator when going downwind, and is easily seen from the deck because it's black and almost 1/2" wide.

To keep the coat hanger from getting rust on your sail, you can use a plastic-coated one, or use a thin wooden dowel instead, like those used for paper flags on Memorial Day.

Mine is similar to what is described here but I used heavy gauge electrical wire (copper), so it doesn't rust. I will replace my yarn telltales w/ videotape.

You can use your imagination and use velcro strips to attach it to the spar and remove it when taking the sail down. Much easier and less messy than electrical tape! Consider two strips permanently on the spar and two strips to fasten the indicator.
Fred

Back