Looking for a sailfish or sunfish vin plate and possibly title if you have one

Discussion in 'Sunfish Wanted Ads' started by benebob, Jun 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benebob

benebob New Member

The sailfish I picked up had damage to where the vin plate would go and is missing it. Would love to get a PA state fish and boat registration for it but of course they need a vin and the boat needs to be titled. Does anybody have a spare on a parts boat lying around. It would be for a sailfish but I wouldn't care if it had a sunfish vin plate either. Title would be wonderful but if not I can apply for a title through a title service in another state. I'm just looking to avoid the read tape of Penndot.:D

2. Ksjudson

Ksjudson Judkei

Hull Identification Numbers (HIN) were not required until November 1, 1972.

Since the Sailfish was manufactured prior to this date, I would just tell the PA boat registration people that your Sailfish is a pre-1972 model and thus does not have a HIN. They should be able to assign a new HIN number to your boat which will enable you to get a title and registration.

I'm not sure why you would want a title and registration. Many states exempt small sailboats from registration and title requirements - maybe PA is different.

Judkei
    Reno, NV

3. Alan Glos

Alan Glos Active Member

Are you still looking for a plate with a Sunfish seriel number on it? I think I have one. E-mail me at aglos@mail.colgate.edu.

4. bg1

bg1 New Member

If your Sailfish yet has the Bronze Rudder Deck Plate, check for the serial number hand dye-stamped on the Starboard Vertical Surface. The stampings are 3/8"h X 1/4"w, likely four digits. We know this was used as late as 1965. Sailfish serial numbers seem to be a different series than Sunfish.

5. imported_Jennifer

imported_Jennifer New Member

Unpowered boats are not required to be registered - unless used at a Fish & Boat Commission access area or lake, or at Pennsylvania state park lakes; or required by the owner (one example is the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers).
    ....view list of Commission access areas
    ....view DCNR's listing of PA state parks
    ....go to our Registration page to find out how to register or title a boat.

Another option for unpowered boats (only) is a Use (Boat Launch) Permit from the Fish & Boat Commission, or a Launch or Mooring Permit from the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources Bureau of State Parks....view issuing agents for Use Permits.

Permits can also be purchased online using a credit card at The Outdoor Shop....go to The Outdoor Shop (choose Products, then Boat Permits)

Here's the website for "The Outdoor Shop" http://www.theoutdoorshop.state.pa.us/fbg/

Permits are $10/year or you can get a 2-year permit for $18. This is what I use on my sunfish and kayaks in PA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.