limits on class legal?

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Cavi, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Cavi

Cavi Member

I am probably going to upgrade some of the controls on my 1981 laser to the newer style. Looking on the intensity sails website, I see alot of good stuff but alot of it they say is not class legal. For example, the base for the two blocks that gets mounted to the deck behind the mast. They sell one but claim it is not class legal. Is this really a deal breaker if I am not going to race and win at nationals? Is it something that is really going to be checked if I hit up local races say in the san Francisco Bay area? I am sure I will not be winning any time in the foreseable future. Is it worth me spending the extra $ for this? Next, I was planning on making some sort of out haul, possibly not the stock one but similar. Am I okay as long as I do not have more turns in the line than is in the rules? Next, the boom vang. Again why is one of them legal and the other from intensit not legal as long as there are not more turns than in the rule book? For that matter is it permissable for me to use the stock old setup and invert it so that my jamcleat is on the bottom, which would make it easier to grab? The double cleat on the deck, does that one have to be a specific one also? On that same note, I see that the base for that double cleat is held by two screws, on in front one in back, is that hole pattern the same as the current single jam cleat that came on my boat?

2. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

All the class approved upgrades use the same mounting holes that the old rigging fittings used. They were specifically designed that way. I can't comment on the non-approved stuff only because I haven't used it, but others have and I'm sure will chime in.

As to why only certain fittings were made class legal, it's partly to make sure everyone is "playing" the same game" w/o having to spend time with measurers etc.. Just the way the class rules are. Another part, frankly, is to allow the builders to profit from the revenue of selling the upgrades.

Will someone complain about non-class approved fittings ? You can read thru the threads posted here about it, in general, get a feel for your local fleet by going to one of their events and ask around. At the club events I've been to, unless the fitting just does not resemble the class fitting, no one cares if it is class legal or not.. At regional events, there may be some who make a point about it, at national events, everyone shows up with the class legal stuff. YMMV

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

Remember it is only the actual stainless steel plate and the black plastic base that are the 'builder supplied' parts. You can put whatever blocks and cleats you like on them (as long as the cleats fit of course).

For the kicker there are various ways of using the 'old' blocks to get extra purchase. I saw an old setup online somewhere that claim 12:1 which is probably enough for most people.

4. Emilio Castelli

Emilio Castelli Member

The only difference between the Intensity supplied parts and the class legal parts is a "Laser" trademark stamp on the parts. Nobody cares for local racing. Save yourself some money. The sail is a different story and in some races people might object.
    You should check out the district 24 page at http://skysail.com/sailing/d24/
    Lots of sailing in the evenings at http://skysail.com/sailing/d24/short-course.html You can use an intensity sail in any of these informal races.

Then you should join the mailing list to keep in the loop for practice sailing and other races that are not on the official calendar.
    Looking forward to see you.
    E

5. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

Depends on if you want to protect value of your boat.

My view is that using replica sails is fine for local events but all other kit on your boat should be class compliant as they are not consumable items.

6. Cavi

Cavi Member

Sorry, I was not asking about sails, my plan was to have a intensity sail for everyday use and a real laser one for races. I was mainly asking about small stuff like the mounting plate for the two blocks near the mast

7. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Wasn't there a case a few years ago where a mother bought her son a used boat right before a big event, only to have it disqualified due to a knock-off spar? I believe there was much disagreement and many hurts feelings.

Let this serve as a warning to anyone buying or selling a boat. Know what you are buying, and be upfront about what you are selling.

8. Cavi

Cavi Member

yeah, I saw all the stuff on the spars, mine is 1981 and came with wood spars, and from what I can tell I should be okay with those.

9. Cavi

Cavi Member

on that same note, and not that I am planning on it but my boat came with a colored sail as you can see in my avatar, it is still a laser made sail with the numbers and all on it. would it be legal even though it is not the white? As I said I am not planning on racing this sail as it is old, very old.......

10. Emilio Castelli

Emilio Castelli Member

Wood spars I doubt it
    Everything else will be welcome
    E

11. Cavi

Cavi Member

why not on the wood spars, they are what came with the boat. The rule book states that wood spars are allowed if they came in that year, but you could not use them on a boat that did not come with them. I honestly do not know what year they quit offering wood spars but I really doubt someone got rid of the composite ones in favor of wood core ones and left the stock colored sail. If you saw this boat you would know everything one it was stock other than the mast step repair. Also keep in mind the wood spars are white on the outside, but they are deffinitly wood

12. Cavi

Cavi Member

13. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

You meant wooden foils not spars. Spars = Mast and boom, foils = Rudder and daggerboard.

14. Cavi

Cavi Member

Yes I did mean foils. Sorry all, my bad...

15. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

The wood foils sold with the hulls stopped around 1974.
    There were a couple of reasons why people with newer boats wanted to replace the new foils with the old wood ones:
    1. Thickness - many of the wooden foils were thicker (especially the daggerboard) which some thought was a better shape.
    2. Stiffness - many of the wooden foils were stiffer = better performance
    3. less prone to ding/nick/chip

16. Cavi

Cavi Member

So how would I find out if mine are the original ones or not?

17. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

Find your Hull ID # on the transom.. Last two digits on the right should be the year..
    (a few posts ago, you said your hull was a 1981 model, which would mean the foils did not come with the hull)

18. torrid

torrid Just sailing

All wood blades I have every seen were stained and varnished.

19. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

Lucky, you must sail in weed free water.. Lots of places up and down the east coast of the US, with eel grass, Lasers and Sunfish sailors painted their wood blades white so it was easy to tell when you had picked up grass..

20. Cavi

Cavi Member

my blades are white, but there is not much in the way of weeds where I sail!!