Lifting Bridle

Breeze

I am looking for information on either purchasing or creating a lifting bridle for my Capri 14.2. Any suggestions on bracketry placement, ideas, etc?
Thanks!
Breeze

Lifting Sling - Some clubs use a hoist for lifting boats in and out of the water. For the Capri 14.2 the hoisting sling attaches to shackles added to the shroud bases and to the aft hiking strap fitting. The lines come together just forward of the barney post, about 3' up. Tie the lines to a heavy duty stainless steel ring at the apex. To attach at the shackles, use heavy-duty SS carabiners. Make the two fwd. lines about 6' long each and the aft one about 8' long. Use heavy line, NLT 3/8". Tie them in with bowlines and make the final adjustments to them at the hoist, where you can raise the boat a few inches and try it out. Best if the boat hangs down by the bow slightly.

If you call Catalina, they'll fax you a lifting bridle diagram, which will give you a good start. I use one every time I sail, so it's probably the only thing I can talk about with any authority.

Here's what works for me: I have a big O ring that attaches to the hoists hook. Tied to that are three lines. The lines are 3/8 twisted nylon. Nothing fancy, just strong and stretchy.

Two of the lines are about 4' long. One is about 14'. I used to have them attached to the O ring with nice little snap shackles, but those snapped off one day (when the boat had taken on some water in the hold) so I went back to knots.

The short ones are tied to each chainplate/shroud adjuster. I used to use caribiners there, but when the aforemention shackles snapped, the caribiners bent the shroud adjuster. So I went back to knots there too. A simple bowline is hard to beat!

The long line runs aft, through one drain hole, out across the transom, back through and is tied back to the O ring.

When you first hoist the boat, go slow. Make sure the bridle runs above the rigging in the cockpit. When it's set right, your O ring will be about two feet above deck level, and the boat will hang slightly bow down. This helps when guiding into a trailer, and keeps the mast from smacking into the hoist. I know!

Adjust your lines until they're the right lengths, then mark them so you know where the apex of bowline's loop is. It makes it easy to tie accurately.

And don't forget to tie a line to the bow and hang on to it. The wind can spin your boat around the moment you lift it. I know!

This set up is incredibly strong and simple. It won't let you down. Try not to be tempted to make it easier with extra hardware. It will eventually fail you. I know!

Back