Learning In The Wind

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by Sailkb, Apr 16, 2012.

1. beldar boathead

beldar boathead Well-Known Member

You can certainly go downwind under a bare pole, or no pole at all, but you can't go upwind. You need a sail for that. BB

2. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

Agreed—but steering capability is not lost. There could be more points-of-sail available than straight downwind.
    Now I'll have to try "a bare pole" beam reach! :p

3. Sailkb

Sailkb Member

This brings up a related issue I have wondered about. Last summer I left my Sunfish at home to travel to a bigger lake for an outing with a friend on his boat. We arrived just as a major storm, unexpected, moved through. Major wind blew up on the lake. As we drove into the dock parking lot, a handful of sailers were arriving to dock soaking wet from rain. Luckily, there were no capsizes, but stories ensued of how each survived what appeared 50+ mph wind. The storm promptly moved out and we had a beautiful afternoon on his sailboat. My question is, what is the approach in a Sunfish if I suddenly find myself in that situation? Drop the sail and hold on?

4. tag

tag my2fish

5. brianZ71

brianZ71 Member

check the weather reports religiously before you head out to sail. both read the forecast and check the radar map. I imagine kansas is a little like inland texas where i am. there aren't really "surprise" storms that come out of nowhere like when you're near the coast or great lakes. It should be very predictable.