Leaking boom

iconoclast

I just removed the eyebolt end cap of the boom because water was slowly dripping out and found a handful or two of loose cork
particles.

Were these a solid cork at one time? Were there one in each end?

The ID is 1.375".

Secular

the cork is a spacer where the blocks for the mainsheet are attatched. your blocks probably have a bolt all the way through the boom. the cork is supposed to keep the boom from being crushed when the bolt is tightened. this is a weak spot espeicaly if it has seen salt water. I had a boom snap at that point. I suggest you pull the caps on the end of the boom and drain water from both sides of the cork after you go sailing. not much you can do to the inside of the boom if it already started to corrode.

My blocks are held on with a saddle eye and pop rivets.
This cork is so ground up and granulated I think it was put in that way.

I'm putting in a new cork 1 3/8" dia near the eyebolt holes to keep water entering there from filling the boom and mast. I'm using marine grade caulk to seal the corks.

When I put water in the boom/spar to rinse them out they don't leak anywhere else.

Iconoclast

the cork is a spacer where the blocks for the mainsheet are attatched. your blocks probably have a bolt all the way through the boom. the cork is supposed to keep the boom from being crushed when the bolt is tightened. this is a weak spot espeicaly if it has seen salt water. I had a boom snap at that point. I suggest you pull the caps on the end of the boom and drain water from both sides of the cork after you go sailing. not much you can do to the inside of the boom if it already started to corrode.

Back