Laser - winter fiberglass repair project - for sale (no trailer)

Discussion in 'Laser For Sale Ads' started by Kaye, Sep 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaye

Kaye New Member

City:
    Lexington
    State:
    KY
    Price:
    Laser #115148 (without trailer because I'm using the trailer with my other Laser) - Damage to be Repaired: blue hull separated from the deck at a couple of places, a short gash below the gunnel, and a dent in the side of the hull that looks like a basketball hit it (but that's not what happened). The boom is missing a couple of fittings, but the mast is OK.

2. Chase

Chase New Member

Hello, I was wondering if you still had this sailboat? If you do I would love to see the pictures, and possibly negotiate a price. Thank you, some much for your time; if you'd like to get in contact with me.My email is chasehill4542@gmail.com.

3. Kaye

Kaye New Member

Yes, I still have it, but the big question is whether you live close enough to pick it up?

4. Chase

Chase New Member

I don't know what you would consider close, but I live in Danville, Ky. So it's only a 56 minute ride up to Lexington, but I wouldn't mind the ride to get such a boat.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  5. Kaye

Kaye New Member

That's a relief! When I was selling my ancient Airstream that had been converted from road-worthy to staying in one place at the lake, a guy from Canada was hot to buy it. We exchanged several emails and I even called my credit union for advice on a way that the money could change hands but each method of doing it from afar had ways in which I could be swindled.

Without checking with me first, he even sent me a cashier's check and I sent it back, unopened, because it was drawn upon the Bank of Montreal and there are counterfeit Bank of Montreal cashier's checks. I was so relieved when a local person responded to my Craigslist ad and paid cash for the trailer. By the way, my mom was from Buckeye in Garrard County and I have cousins who live in Lancaster, Stanford and Danville. :)

6. Chase

Chase New Member

That sounds like an awful situtation to be in. But, hopefully you were able to sort through the problem. I will tell you though, that I'm suprised that a person in Canada would buy a sailboat all the way in Kentucky. Also thats cool that you have family around there, its such a nice small town isnt it? Luckily, you and I are close by eachother so there won't be any country to country problems. So if it is possible may I see some pictures of this vessel. Also I was wondering what type of laser it is. By chance what is your new one also, since you seem to have been sailing for quite a while.

7. Kaye

Kaye New Member

Oh, yes, it was. He allegedly was going to have friends bring it to Canada for him, but he didn't ask any questions when I told him the Airstream camping trailer wasn't roadworthy. If he had been anyone other than a scammer, he would have immediately asked for details! Yes, those are nice little towns.

I do have some pictures. I think they're buried deep in my phone, so I'll have to hunt for them. It's a regular Laser, the type that is sailed in the Olympics. That's what my "new" Laser is too. Both are older boats, which is what I like because if you scrape it against rocks or a dock, it doesn't break your heart the way it would if it was a new boat. My new oldLaser is gray and she has some bubbles on her deck that I'm not going to bother fixing because to me, that's just cosmetic, even though it is delamination. The Laser that I'm selling is a pretty shade of blue with a white deck. I hate that I damaged her and I would really like to see her sail some more.

I've been sailing since 1991. I purchased the blue Laser in 1995 and have raced her quite a bit. Do you sail?

8. Chase

Chase New Member

That's quite smart to mess with the scammers. I've seen a couple of scams myself, none though as monsterous as yours. Also you don't have to go through much trouble to find the pictures, I was only wanting to see the hull. I completely agree with you, because the older boats are better if you scratch or ding. But, if your like one of my friends who went, and bought a 20 ft Apollo, (which is like a thistle) he completely took out all scratches, dings, you name it he did it. But, that sounds like two very well kept boats if the only damage to yours is cosmetic, and the other laser may not be a hard task though I haven't seen it. But, I'm fairly new to sailing, since I've only been sailing since 2010. Yet I would love to have a laser, or a sunfish, but mainly a laser. Do you know what you would like to sell the laser for?

9. Chase

Chase New Member

Is this boat still for sale?

10. Kaye

Kaye New Member

Hi Chase,

Here are some photos that show the boat and the damage. I don't know if I uploaded too many pictures. Let me know if I need to attach them to more than one email so you can see them. I'm going to be sailboat racing on Saturday and Sunday, so I might not see your response until Sunday evening or Monday.

Kaye

IMG_0406.JPG IMG_0407.JPG IMG_0409.JPG IMG_0411.JPG IMG_0412.JPG IMG_0413.JPG IMG_0414.JPG DSC_0575.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
  11. Kaye

Kaye New Member

The dent on the side in the last photo is about 6 inches wide and about 1/2 inch deep. In trying to get a photo that showed the dent, I think I made it look worse than it is.

12. Chase

Chase New Member

Okay, thank you for the photos. I hope that you win 1st in your class, also how many races are you all going to do? But, this must be the best weather right now, right before a storm. I'd say try to fit in as many races as possible, because the weather may not be as great as it's about to be. Also have you though about what you would like to sell it for? You don't have to rush on figuring out what you would like to sell it for.

13. Kaye

Kaye New Member

Oh, I'm leaving my Laser at home and crewing on a Hunter instead because we might have gusts of 30 to 35 on Saturday. The winds will settle down some on Sunday, so I might jump ship and crew on a National One Design. It's a small boat with a large jib. I crewed on it once before and managed the jib well enough to keep us from capsizing in the wind and cold, but there were a few close calls. I'll probably be able to figure out a price on Monday or Tuesday. Do you plan to be in Lexington any time soon? If so, perhaps you could stop by and take a look at her.

14. Chase

Chase New Member

That's sounds like a fun adventure, no matter what boat you may be on. Make sure not to capsize though, for you would have quite a trouble of getting it uncap sized. Where are you going to do this race in one of the Great Lakes? I might be able to come soon, but I don't know quite when exactly. Since it could be 2 weeks, most likely I think 2 weeks will be the most time available. Would this work for your schedule as well? Also you probably have it, but do you have the title to this boat?

15. Kaye

Kaye New Member

Oh, we're racing at Cave Run Lake. It's the Cave Run Sailing Association. Capsizing a Hunter would be a bit of a mess to uncapsize. A couple of weeks is fine with me. If you end up wanting to buy the boat, the payment would need to be in cash. That's the way I have always bought and sold boats.

Sorry, but I don't have a title. I haven't received a title on any of the four used sailboats I have purchased over the years and I haven't given a title on the one that I sold. I will provide the buyer with a receipt that contains my name, address and phone number. I'm not sure whether titles are required on small sailboats in Kentucky. I do know that we don't have to register small sailboats for travel on the highway.

I purchased this Laser in April, 1995 from a guy who belongs to the sailing club in Louisville and races a yellow Thistle. He was also a member of Cave Run Sailing Association, so I might be able to find his name on an old membership list, if need be.

16. Chase

Chase New Member

Alright that sounds like a nice area to sail at. Okay, I was going to be paying in cash anyway. I will try to make it up there soon, so it won't be dragged out. But, if you wouldn't mind I would like to know who you bought it from, since I may know them. Also do you have a bill of sale already, because if you wouldn't mind I'd like to make one. It will only take a couple of seconds, since you'd just need to sign. It basically says that you've sold me this boat, and protects both of us if anything legally happens

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  17. Kaye

Kaye New Member

Fortunately, a long-time member stopped by the regatta this afternoon and I asked her if she remembered the guy's name. It was Paul Terrian. She and her husband have also bought and sold some boats, and they never received a title either, so we don't think that titles are required for small sailboats. We didn't get to hold any races today because it was too windy. The double-decker pontoon that serves as our committee boat wouldn't stay in one spot after they dropped the Danforth anchor. We had a lot of whitecaps, and 3-foot waves crashing against the shore. I think the gusts did get into the predicted 36 mph range. We'll try again tomorrow and hopefully be able to get in 2 or 3 races. The wind will be lighter but it will be pretty cold. Sure, it's OK if you type of a bill of sale. I had planned to type up one myself. I didn't think to get one from Paul Terrian because I was too busy trying to figure out how to get her home.

18. Chase

Chase New Member

Okay, thank you I don't think I know who they may be. I understand how you've not had a title before, yet everyone I've spoken with has told me to get one. But, through looking about the bill of sale, and so on. I've figured out that I think with just a bill of sale, that you can receive a title. Also is just wanted to know that we're on the same page concerning the bill of sale, so it's great to know that we're on the same page. That sounds like it may have been a good race day if the weather would tone down a bit. Quite recently I was working the mark boat for a regatta, and we were lucky just to fit in one race. So being a sailer I'd suggest a favor from the wind gods.

19. Kaye

Kaye New Member

The lady who lives across from the main launch ramp at Cave Run Lake has lots of sailboats stored in her front, side and back yard. After someone abandons the boat by not paying their storage bill for a long time, she goes to the courthouse, gets a title, and sells it, so I think the person who told you that was right. My boat is listed in my name on the membership roster of our sailing club back to 1995, I could show you that to reassure you that I haven't found it by the side of the road. :)

The wind gods were smiling at us today. We got in two races. There were whitecaps, but it wasn't as bad as yesterday. I would guess it was around 15-18 mph sustained, with plenty of heavy gusts that required dumping the main of the Hunter 22.5. I handled the starboard jib sheet and, even though I was the oldest person aboard, I was also the main deck monkey. Another lady was on the port side. We had another crew member handling the main sheet and the captain had the tiller. We all stayed pretty busy and were glad to take 2nd place in the handicapped cruisers!

20. Chase

Chase New Member

Alright thanks I just was starting to think a little about being legally safe on the water. Well at least someone got some good wind going, I was beginning to think they were frowning down apon us. That sounds like it was a nice race day though, it's always good to get out on the water. Also by the way have you decided what you'd like to sell it for? I'm just wondering, but I'm in no rush so don't worry about it if you don't have time to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.