Laser Wanted

Discussion in 'Laser Wanted Ads' started by Mavawreck, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mavawreck

Mavawreck New Member

Im looking for a complete, used Laser. Would prefer a full rig. Just to be used for tooling about on lakes for now. I would prefer it not have a trailer. I have a 16' Boston Whaler motorboat I would trade if anyone is interested in that instead. Lost storage and I want to downsize!

2. hotwater1387

hotwater1387 New Member

call me ...have great boat in atlanta 404-797-5172

3. stunistu

stunistu Member

I have a 1981 Laser with the full sail that you might be interested in. I am a retired professional boat builder and I have restored over 70 Lasers. This boat has a new mast step (I cut a small hole and reglass with West epoxy), solid decks where you sit, a re-cord floor, and the bushing at the cockpit drain hole has been replaced. These are all the common weak spots of a Laser. The blades are new, all new lines, Harken mainsheet cams, racing bailer, end for ended upper spar, sleeved boom (like the new boats). I grind out and reglass all sresss cracks in the hull/deck. The hull has been painted Awlgrip "empress blue" and the deck is new light tan Awlgrip. The sail is fine for many years of daysailing. The price is $1600 delivered to your door. I have pictures and I also have a few more boats for more money. stuhpps@hotmail.com

4. isleofwightlen

isleofwightlen Member

I have a 1981 Laser with the full sail that you might be interested in. I am a retired professional boat builder and I have restored over 70 Lasers. This boat has a new mast step (I cut a small hole and reglass with West epoxy), solid decks where you sit, a re-cord floor, and the bushing at the cockpit drain hole has been replaced. These are all the common weak spots of a Laser. The blades are new, all new lines, Harken mainsheet cams, racing bailer, end for ended upper spar, sleeved boom (like the new boats). I grind out and reglass all sresss cracks in the hull/deck. The hull has been painted Awlgrip "empress blue" and the deck is new light tan Awlgrip. The sail is fine for many years of daysailing. The price is $1600 delivered to your door. I have pictures and I also have a few more boats for more money. stuhpps@hotmail.com

What other year boats do you have available & prices ?

5. stunistu

stunistu Member

Here is a brief description of what I do to each Laser that I buy. I will send prices and available inventory tommorrow. I am towing a Lightning to the Southern Circut in Mid- march so I can deliver a Laser along 95 South.
    Here is the description of my restoration methods.
    I will tell you briefly what is included in all my boats. I worked with Mark Lindsay at Boston Boatworks for 10 years and I have been rebuilding Lightnings and Lasers for 40 years. I take every Laser hull and grind out all stress cracks. I grind and glass every boat around the CB slot on the bottom. I then re-glass using West epoxy. I do some fairing and I either gelcoat the repairs or more typically do 2 coats on the hull of AwlGrip rolled and tipped.. I cut a 4 by 6 hole in the deck and go down to the base of the mast tube and rebuild the step on all pre 95 hulls. I then reglass in place the cut out deck piece. No inspection ports for me. If the decks are soft I have a method of cutting the cockpit wall and either re-coring the soft spots or installing foam core beams to stiffen the soft areas. If the floor is soft, I cut the floor right out and recore saving the original skin. In all cases, my work is invisible to the new owner. This means a fair amount of new supports, fairing and gel-coat. All my repairs are warrantied for life. I have many techniques to ensure solid repairs. I grind out all stress cracks on the deck... Typically the radius of the cockpit and deck zone requires work. I make the gunnels new again by glassing collision spots and filling all nicks and dents. I paint only the gunnel zone with Awlgrip to match the deck color.
    >
    > I take the spars and end for end the top section, sleeve the boom at the vang fitting and make sure no rivets are loose anywhere. Usually the boom SS rivets are loose. I pop an end cap and thru bolt (the hard way of only bolting thru the original wall) the eye straps for the mainsheet blocks.
    >
    > I completely rebuild the blades and re-fair the blades. I finish with gelcoat or Awlgrip and sand and polish. (I charge $300 to do blades for my friends. I have a template to ensure perfection. A new CB from the factory is already "unfair" on the port side...)
    >
    > To all of this I provide a decent tiller and hiking stick, hiking strap, and I replace all lines. The final price is determined by the condition of the sail. I do upgrade the vang to an 8 to 1 purchase and I provide the Harken hook for the outhaul. Most of my boats have a good racing bailer. My boats are ready to sail and they are warrantied to simply work and not break.
    >
    > My prices reflect what I paid for the boat plus my materials and $35 per hour labor. Most of my business is word of mouth but you will probably see me advertise a little this spring as I have 5 boats to sell. I have 4 kids who all sail so we are constantly buying/restoring/using/selling boats. I also am doing a few Sunfish and Force 5's..
    >

6. stunistu

stunistu Member

I currently have the 81 noted above, a 1996 for $2400, and my personal 1998 for $3600. The 98 is loaded, includes everything (upgraded controls, dolly, cover, carbon tiller, regatta sail, little use, and it looks new).
    Later this spring I will have an 88, an 02, and another 98 priced from $2000 to $2800.
    I live in Falmouth, ME.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.