Laser vs. Kolibri 12'

kendalh

Hey everyone,

Just discovered the site today. Looks great. I am 21, and was really big into sailing as a kid, but have not done it much in the last 6-8 years. I am now looking at getting back into it and buying a small used laser or similar sailboat. I have a very good family friend who is selling a Kolibri 12' for a great deal. I was wondering what your thoughts were on this boat (as I dont know much about sailboats anymore), and how it compares to a Laser.
Thanks so much

Description:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]Glenmore Sailboats builds a number of boats right here in Calgary. The Kolibri 2-12 is one of these. Used by the Royal Canadian Sea Cadets as their training vessal, this boat is sure to please the whole family.
The Kolibri 2-12
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]
kolibri.jpg
[/FONT]
The K2-12 is spacious and comfortable, the inside seating contributing to much drier sailing. She has all the fittings found on much larger dinghies, and excellent quality ones at that. Note the ratchetting needle bearing Sea Way Mainsheet 4:1 system, the sliding jib fairleads with cleats, and soft sheets. The Kolibri 2-12's modern planing hull design in combination with light weight and a well-shaped main and jib make her light and responsive, and will delight the helmsman, whether novice or expert.
The Commodore 15.
[/FONT]
commodore.jpg
[/FONT]
Sweet tempered in the heaviest weather as well as responsive in light to medium airs, a competent sailor can manage the Commodore 15 alone. Comfort is provided in the roomy cockpit with plenty of foot room by her centreboard. She comes complete with a Harken jib furling system, laminated mahogany pivotting centreboard and kick-up rudder. [/FONT]

Thanks

Depends on what you want to use it for.

What you've got there (Kolibri) appears to be a slightly wider, more spacious, more stable platform.

The laser is designed for racing against other lasers. It's fast for its size, and thousands of sailors have spent decades optimizing the rigging, trimming, and sailing techniques. If you sail a laser, you can learn from those established techniques.

If you're not interested in racing, the Kolibris you show might be more suitable, as it appears they're probably carrying more form stability (less likely to capsize it) and will be a more stable ride, especially if you want to sail with another person on the boat.

Good luck with your decision.

the commodore 15 looks like a more efficient shape to my eye. The maximum beam seems more in tune with the LOA.

Sorry, the 15' wasn't supposed to be there. I accidently copied it.

The Kolibri is a 1998, and i can get it for 2 grand canadian, which seems to be quite a good deal.. but I just don't know if I would rather have a laser.

Sorry, the 15' wasn't supposed to be there. I accidently copied it.

The Kolibri is a 1998, and i can get it for 2 grand canadian, which seems to be quite a good deal.. but I just don't know if I would rather have a laser.

Do you want to race and is there a Kolibri or Laser fleet around to do so? Even if you don't want to race, having someone to sail with and learn from has been a big factor in my learning curve and could be in yours. :)

I believe there are some very active Laser fleets in Alberta and SK, and some very good sailors. Glenmore advertises in our Laser class magazine.

The current District 5 Secretary is Mark Lammens in Saskatoon at 306-975-0833 or through jdecm.com/laser

Im not planning on racing, just recreational sailing. But I still like to get some speed every now and then :)

one of my good friends has a american 14.6 and that is a sweet boat. but it is deffantially a crusier. but if you arent trying to go fast and just enjoy the sport the kolibri seems just the ticket. and also you know it is stable and built strong if it a training boat for sea cadets. if i were you i would buy it

You might want to consider that the Laser has a sail sleeve design as it fits over and around your mast, the Kolibri might be a little easier to pull in when you stop at the dock for a margarita. Of course the Laser would be more fun and easier to right if you capsize after your margarita.

Back