Laser vs. JY15

CTSailor13

I am looking to pick up one of these boats and was just curious about what you guys think is the difference in overall performance between the two. Im guessing the laser is faster, but by how much? Can you really compare them, or are they in completely different categories? The reason I ask is because I can get a good deal on a JY15 and I have always liked the feel of that boat, but a laser is hard to beat. I am currently laserless after selling my laser 2 about a year ago, and I am looking to get back into it. I am not planning on racing either one right away, but maybe sometime down the road. Thanks.

If the JY15 is the same as the JY14, but only a foot longer, i'd say it depends on what you are doing.

The JY14, which is now made as the Hunter 140 has much more room, if you are taking more than one other person, the laser wouldn't be to comfy. personally i sail the 14s and 140 as well as lasers, the laser has a lot less to worry about, no standing/running rigging, only a main sail, easier to get parts, and there are more lasers out there if you decide to race. If you plan on taking people to learn to sail or just out so they can say they sailed the jy boat would be better than the laser.

i guess, what is your use for the boat, and what is the price range, and where will you be using it?

Tyler

Pop-n-Jack said:
If the JY15 is the same as the JY14, but only a foot longer, i'd say it depends on what you are doing.

The JY14, which is now made as the Hunter 140 has much more room, if you are taking more than one other person, the laser wouldn't be to comfy. personally i sail the 14s and 140 as well as lasers, the laser has a lot less to worry about, no standing/running rigging, only a main sail, easier to get parts, and there are more lasers out there if you decide to race. If you plan on taking people to learn to sail or just out so they can say they sailed the jy boat would be better than the laser.

i guess, what is your use for the boat, and what is the price range, and where will you be using it?

Tyler
I think the JY15 is a little different from the 140, formerly the JY14. The use for the boat will be to have as much fun as possible, and maybe get into racing after a while, but that's not my main concern. I will be sailing it on lakes and the CT river, usually with one other person but occasionally solo. As far as price range, I can get either boat at a close enough price that it's not such a big issue. I just want the right boat.

If you want to race w/crew the JY has some active fleets across the US. More than the Laser 2 I believe, but far less than the singlehanded Laser.

I have a Laser now and owned a JY15 for a few years in a very active fleet. The racing was fun, but you can't compare the performance differences between the 2 boats as they are way different. The JY hull is heavy and the foils were designed too small so it will stall easily.

Rob B said:
If you want to race w/crew the JY has some active fleets across the US. More than the Laser 2 I believe, but far less than the singlehanded Laser.

I have a Laser now and owned a JY15 for a few years in a very active fleet. The racing was fun, but you can't compare the performance differences between the 2 boats as they are way different. The JY hull is heavy and the foils were designed too small so it will stall easily.

Yeah thats what I figured with a 275 pound hull. How crowded/weighed down is a laser with a crew of two? I weigh 155 and lets say my buddy weighs about 160?

Back