Laser run over by tour boat

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Rob B, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Chainsaw

Chainsaw Brmmm Brmmm

2. mlemieux1978

mlemieux1978 New Member

Not that I am in anyway defending the tourboat operator, but all vessels have an obligation to avoid collisions. Sure sailboats have the right of way over power vessels in most circumstances, but should proving your point possibly cost your life? This is something we all need to consider, especially race comittees. I have spent a considerable amount of time in Charleston on sailing and commercial vessels and there is a propensity to put the inside race courses in deep water near the shipping channels. the race course does not have to be on the tour boat's route back and forth from the fort. I also navigate on an offshore raceboat and have had plenty of starts near shippping channels with commercial traffic coming down the course. I monitor 13 and 16 VHF while aboard and knew where i would be safe on the course. I called the RC prior to the prep. and they had no idea. US Sailing has been trying to do something about this since last year, but people really just need to give themselves a reality check. A laser is much more maneuverable than a tourboat. Your competitive spirit can get you killed.

3. mlemieux1978

mlemieux1978 New Member

By the way, even if the operator comes out clean from this, he's going to lose his license for at least 6 months.

4. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

I guess you missed the part where the sailor had just unfurled his sail and not yet attached the clew. His was a vessel adrift. Plus, where do you think Laser sailors keep their VHF radios?

5. mlemieux1978

mlemieux1978 New Member

this was not an attempt to justify anything. I'm just pointing out that people don't always realize that just because you're on a sailing vessel other vessels will avoid you. The VHF comment goes to RC types and where they set courses. THEY should be monitoring 13 and 16. The article I read said the course was between the Chas. City Marina and the Fort. That's about 40 feet of water. Lasers need that much to sail right? there's plenty of water for everyone in that harbor. not everyone needs to occupy the same water at the same time. Like I said, I'm not faulting anyone. This was an accident. Maybe the tour boat operator was negligent. maybe Mr. Lambinus was negligent for getting underway w/o manueverability. I guess you've never been there......

6. dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy Member

Wow, this is a scary story! But . . .

If the Laser sailor didn't have his sail operational yet, but was out on the racecourse already, I'd suggest he must have been towed out there, and cast off the tow in a pretty precarious place.

Having raced in a lot of places with dangerous commercial and ship traffic, and now in Florida, where we set race courses near the Intercoastal, I live by the "might is right" rule for safety's sake.

Ships, and tugs with barges can't maneuver to avoid little boats. Powerboats are often going way too fast, and all too often are operated by people with more bucks than brains who (in my experience) navigate with a road map in one hand and a g & t in the other.

Still, the tour boat company and the operator should definitely be reported to the Coast Guard and I hope they throw the book at him.

7. Chainsaw

Chainsaw Brmmm Brmmm

that would be all well and good except for this:

If the location of the accident is correct and if the story of no stopping and no hail and no radio contact for rescue is true, then the captain should have his ticket removed.

the excuse of:

"oh well I couldn't move" just doesn't hold given the story so far.

8. SkipperofVaruna

SkipperofVaruna New Member

9. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

Word is this is going to be quite a battle in the court system. The sailor has lawyered up, (as he should have) and the tour boat company is owned by lawyers. The muckety mucks have their panties all in a twist over this thing. It's shaping up to be a precident setting case. Will be very interesting to follow and see the overall outcome. This could take years.

10. SkipperofVaruna

that long? it doesn't seem like that complicated an affair

11. laser2_9804

laser2_9804 New Member

Wow, that's a scary (but unfortunatly not a surprising) story. I'll be interested to follow the court cases and see the outcome. I hope they find in favour of the sailor - it sounds as if the powerboat was majorly in the wrong.

It'd be nice if this could serve as a wake-up call to all the idiotic powerboaties out there who do stuff like this (not saying all powerboaties, just the idiotic minority).

12. SkipperofVaruna

i can drink to that, even though i'm not 21

13. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

Here's an update of details...

This was a large regatta. There were three courses. The permits for the regatta stated the location of each course and each course was required to be out of the shipping channels. The Sailing Instructions stated that if any sailor got in the way of a commerical vessel and recieved 5 warning horns, they would be thrown out of the regatta.

It was 10 minutes before the first warning of the first race of the day. The sailor was waiting for the start sequence and bailing out his cockpit. The tour boat left its boarding location and, instead of going to the channel, sailed directly through the course. As it approached the laser, it changed course towards the laser doing 12-15 knots. When the sailor realized what happened, he tried to tack but seeing that would not be fast enough, he jumped overboard and swam for his life. As it was, the tour boat ran over his legs as he was swimming away and destroyed the laser. The laser was 'spit' out the back of the tour boat as people onboard screamed. Only then, did the tour boat stop for a moment, then sped onward to his destination.

The sailor was picked up by a safety boat and taken to the hospital where he was treated for cuts and bruises on the legs and arms. He was also given blood tests.