Laser run over by tour boat

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Rob B, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

Joel Lambinus unfurled the sail on his 14-foot Laser on Sunday and then happened to glance backward.
    What Lambinus saw made him leap for his life. A Fort Sumter tour boat loaded with tourists was bearing down.
    "I looked over my shoulder, and I saw the boat, about 75 yards away and headed dead straight for me," said Lambinus, 57, an experienced sailor who was competing in the Charleston Yacht Club Open Regatta.
    Witnesses told the Coast Guard the tour boat was the 102-foot-long, 32-foot-wide, 97-ton, Spirit of Charleston, and that the vessel was crossing an area reserved for sailboat racing. As Lambinus swam to avoid being pulled under the tour boat, it cracked and broke his sailboat, tearing chunks of it with its propeller.
    Lambinus said he felt his legs bumping the hull of the tour boat, and he feared the propeller would slice him up, too.
    "By the grace of God, I was able to get away," he said. "When I popped up, I realized that if I had stayed in the boat I would have been mincemeat."

http://www.charleston.net/news/2007/jul/23/tour_boat_smashes_sailboat_at_regatta11241/

2. Laser of the Corn

Laser of the Corn Member

Wow, that's one lucky dude to get away from something like that.

3. Mudi 08757

Mudi 08757 Member

That stinks...

Having sailed Boards on the Columbia River in and amoungst the Barges, I was always scared of them running us down... But a sailboat in a harbor should be relatively safe... Hope Doug gets a new boat and that captain is made available to another Charleston industry.. Maybe he's good a bowling.. Seriously, that guy is lucky to be alive and or not cut up..

4. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

To not even stop after running the boat down. There's huge issues here. That had to be on drugs, or just not qualified to run the boat.

It adds to meaning to the new/old Laser bumper sticker--

"Cheat the Nursing Home, Die on Your Laser!"

The guy who dove off his boat and swam for his life was 75.

5. sorosz

sorosz Member

Actually, only 57.

http://www.charleston.net/news/2007/jul/23/tour_boat_smashes_sailboat_at_regatta11241/

6. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

7. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

Wow!! If somebody can get me his address, I still have a couple Cheat the nursing home ...bumper stickers.

Scares me just reading the account.

Wow!!

8. Michelle

Michelle New Member

That's a nightmare! I'm glad he got away OK.

9. roshambo

roshambo New Member

quoted from the article in The Post & Courier

"Galloway said the tour boat "came absolutely straight down the middle" of the nearly one-mile-diameter area near Castle Pinckney reserved for the weekend's races. The tour boat "never slowed down until the sailboat popped out of the back and never hailed either of us to see if the sail boater was OK," she said.

Galloway displayed copies of race permits, with restricted areas outlined, approved by the state Department of Natural Resources and the Coast Guard."

This was blatant negligence!

The captain of this boat should be arrested for attempted murder!
    IMHO

10. lasersailor184544

lasersailor184544 Member

11. bobbyh

bobbyh Member

We have had problems with this exact tour boat in Charleston for years. It was only a matter of time before this happened. Glad the guy was ok.

12. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Damn, I'm supposed to sail there this weekend.

13. torrid

torrid Just sailing

If he were a trucker driver or train operator, his license would be suspended and he would be given a drug test with no exceptions.

14. Michelle

Michelle New Member

Torrid: I'll see you there. I'll be the Masters Apprentice chick from FLA in the Radial fleet. I guess this boat will be on it's best behavior next weekend since the world is watching...Captain should be relieved of duty that is crazy negligent. Wouldn't expect that behavior from professionals. Weekend spazmics maybe....

15. phosphor

phosphor Member

Something tells me that the company isn't the best either if no comment was given by anyone from there, just not the operator. Most sensible superiors would say, "We'll deal with the issue/the person immediately. This was wrong." I find it disconcerting that no one was responding at all.

16. vtgent49

vtgent49 Member

I'd take a wild guess and say the Swimmer won't even get a new boat out of the ferry company, as that would be admitting guilt. If no criminal charges are filed, he'd have to start a Civil suit, which is an easy 100K to start.

I believe the water can't be "reserved" by CG permits. The marine event permit just creates a Notice to Mariners.

The Tour boat will claim he is a vessel "restricted in his ability to maneuver" and thus has ROW over boats under sail. Plus the race was apparently not underway yet.

I would think the CG should be investigating for a report. Video would help? Any horns from the TB? Wind speed at the time?

I'm not defending the Boat Captain, just suggesting that you/we all be careful out there! And forget about having ROW over powerboats, racing or not.

Search YouTube for Sydney Ferry/sailboat and you'll see a couple of 18's getting mushed at 35 knots.

Al

17. andy480000

andy480000 New Member

We all need to be aware that small sailboats are not easy to see from a commercial vessel. I'm not defending the captain by any means, just stating a fact. Don't assume "that tug" can see you, even if you are in a 30' boat. Also, don't assume that they can avoid you.

Andy

18. SkipperofVaruna

SkipperofVaruna New Member

i commented on the actual article so i won't repeat it here, if you'd like to read my comment it is towards the bottom of the article webpage, my username there is mainelasersailor

19. Karma

Karma New Member

Ugh... I hate people... (From a post on the link)

"Posted by greener1 on July 23, 2007 at 7:59 a.m. (Suggest removal) hey idiot, they have just as much right to be there as you!"

burn...

20. SkipperofVaruna

SkipperofVaruna New Member

yeah, everyone can use the water, but there are rules everyone has to follow