Laser Roofrack vs Trailer

Laser117077

Hi everyone, I need to get a way of transporting my laser about. I'll only be travelling max-100 miles to go to events so was wondering which of the 2 methods would work best. We have an audi a3, (small-medium sized family car.) at the moment i'm more towards a rack because its cheaper and safer to drive along narrow streets etc, but there are quite a few posts on here where people are recommending trailers... Help!

I would always choose a rack over a trailer, especially on distances over 10 miles..

To me, the trailer only makes sense if you are going somewhere where there won't be another body around to help you get the boat on/off the racks

It depends on your preferences. there is almost always someone who is willing to give you a hand to lift the boat on and off the roof at events.

Just make sure your roof bars are rated high enough or PC Plod will slap you with a ticket (75KG ones should be fine).

To me, roof-topping is great for long trips but a pain in the tuckus for short one. I have about an hour overhead each way making sure everything is tied and properly secured. With a trailer, you can up load up and be gone in ten minutes (helps to have a good trailer like a Kitty Hawk or Trailex). My rule of thumb is I cartop if the trip involves an overnight stop.

If you've got a Suburban or similar beast and can put the spars inside the vehicle, that actually helps speed up the cartop loading process.

I always use my road trailer weather it’s a 5 mile trip or a 500 mile trip just slide the trolley on 2 straps and a lighting board it’s just so much easier and I don’t know anybody at our local clubs that car tops a laser it just seems like too much hard work to me. I’ve seen people come from other clubs with one on the roof and it always looks a bit cringe worthy when they’re getting the boat on and off. It’s just so much easier to tow as the boat is only about the same length as an average family car and I have never had any problems with narrow streets or even cities well just one went down the wrong road in the lake district and had to back up which was a bit of a pain in the arse.

roof bars have their + points you don’t have to worry about backing up down a narrow road and trailers have their + points they’re easier than trying to get your boat on and off the roof and strapping it down is easier and if you’re not going far you don’t even need to strap it down the painter will hold it on just fine and you get better fuel economy I know this because I used to car top a topper and get about 46mpg on average and trailing the laser I get 52mpg average dont really know why it makes so much differance my only guess is that when your towing its in the slipstream rather than causing drag.

If you do go for roof bars make sure that they are wide enough to get your spars on too.

Well there would always be at least 2 people to lift it up so it wouldn't take too long to get it ready. Although I can see why a trailer makes some sense... I'll probably end up getting both like 'torrid' and that should work!

Back