Laser roof rack? Trailer? Seitech dolly?

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Sunray, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

OK, here is yet another way. We have a GMC Sierra with a cap on the extended bed of the truck. For those who aren't familiar with it, it's a very large truck. There's a Thule rack on top. My husband and I lift the Laser and rest its bow on the rear post of the rack. My husband stands under the boat behind the cockpit and supports the Laser there as I run to the front of the truck. I use a full sized stepladder to climb on top of the truck, then walk back on top of the cap and grab the bow. I walk it forward into place on the racks, then climb back down and "let" my husband secure the boat on the racks with tie downs. We reverse the process to take the boat down, with me climbing up and walking the boat back while my husband takes the weight of the rear of the boat. The hardest part for me was lifting the bow off of the truck with arms extended above my head, suddenly taking the weight. I've learned the mechanics of it now and it is no problem. I've been doing strength training with that in mind, too.

Merrily

Gouvernail--It is even harder to write a novel when the baby is grabbing your pen.

2. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Everything I have ever read of heard about Lasers says for the least stress on the hull - whether cartopping, trailering, or storing - turn the boat upsidedown and rest it on the deck. Storing it right-side up on a Seitech dolly or Kitty Hawk trailer will eventually weaken the deck-hull joint along the gunwhale. I actually do store mine right-side up on my Seitech dolly, but I do this and accept the risk for convenience.