Laser Radial Fitness question?

chanda

I have been sailing radials for around 3 weeks and I love it. Last week I was at CORK and as I got destroyed. This was no surprise as I have only been sailing for a short time but it made me realize how physical sailing a laser is.
As it is now I am around 135Lb however I would like to gain around 15Lb for next season. When training during the winter which areas of my body should I focus on the most? Also, are there any really good exercises I should do which would improve my preformence?

Thanks!

The link below will take you to the exercises that US Laser coach Ron Rosenberg recommends to get in shape for Laser sailing.

http://www.uiowa.edu/~sail/skills/hiking.shtml

The great thing about Laser sailing is that it's a physical boat and keeps you in shape. The worst thing about Laser sailing is that it's a REALLY PHYSICAL boat :)

I have been sailing radials for around 3 weeks and I love it. Last week I was at CORK and as I got destroyed. This was no surprise as I have only been sailing for a short time but it made me realize how physical sailing a laser is.
As it is now I am around 135Lb however I would like to gain around 15Lb for next season. When training during the winter which areas of my body should I focus on the most? Also, are there any really good exercises I should do which would improve my preformence?

Thanks!

My suggestion:

1) Get a decent pair of hikers (something like the Rooster Pro's or Zhik's where you can move the pads). This makes a huge difference on fatigue on your leg muscles.

2) Get into the gym, do a LOT of work on a gym ball (ab crunches, back extensions, obliques) as this helps core stability. Do weight work on your legs (leg press, leg curl) and get on something like a cross trainer or stepper/strider (something with no impact so not the treadmill) to increase the strength and stamina in your legs. Don't start too hard though, if you have a good local gym speak to one of their fitness consultants and get them to do you a tailoered program. I had to show my instructor the hiking position so they could work out what muscle groups are used most so my training could be focused. I only manage twice a week for an hour but it has made a huge difference to my sailing, I can push harder for longer than most others in the club and this is why I win, they tire and fall away I don't. That and when you have had a good workout in the gym it makes you feel good.

The important thing, and I cannot stress this enough, is not to push to hard to start with, find a baseline and build on it gradually increasing thew weight/repetitions/resistance over time.

Drop me a PM if you like and I can give you an idea of the programs I am doing.

You're pretty tall. If you gain any weight at all, you'll want to move to a standard rig. I'd work your leg muscles so you can hike.

What? He could gain 20 lbs. and still be perfect for a Radial.

Get out of here with that.

As a new sailor, jumping into a big rig under weight wouldn't be advisable.

Another post to follow.

I'm going to try and cover a lot of stuff here. There is some bad advice in this thread.

As you have found out, sailing is a physical sport. You should learn to like compound lifts. Isolation exercises are not the way to got. You want to be working movements, not isolating muscles.

-Deadlift (DL from now on)
-Squat
-Overhead press (Strict or Push) (SOHP or OHP from now on)
-Bent over rows (BORs from now on)
-Dips
-Bench (Elbows in a little, not flared)
-Pull Ups
-Chin ups

At 5'10, 135 lbs, You're pretty thin and could easily put on 15 lbs. in a month or two. It's pretty simple with enough calories (food) and a program compiled of the exercises I mentioned above.

Body weight core work can only take you so far. What happens when you can efficiently lift your body weight? Your abs are muscles, so why work them any different? You hve to add weight if you want them to get stronger. The good thing: DL, Squat, OHP will all work your core. You can also ad in some ab wheel roll outs and weight sit ups.

Leg press isn't that great, as the range of motion is severely reduced and it can put your lower back in a somewhat compromised position. You don't need leg curls, wither. Just squat - squat deep.

DL is great, because it also really strengthens you spinal erectors (lower back). We all know how key that is for hiking.

Gym trainers/the people that work at gyms are usually ****.

Jeffers, why not push hard at the beginning? I don't understand why you would say that.

Again, don't focus on muscle groups, focus on movements.

Now: You can lift all you want, but if you're not eating enough, you won't put on weight.

Your body needs 16 calories per pound to maintain it's current weight. For you, that is 2160.

To put on weight, your body need 17-18 calories per pound. Let's go with 18 to be safe. For you, that is 2430. That's not much at all.

Try aiming for 3000 and see what happens.

You should be doing all the lifting in 5 sets of 5 reps. You can lift 3 days a week, or even a 2 day split if you wanted. If you're lifting heavy, though, you're going to need to let your body recover.

Lifting heavy is taxing on your CNS (Central Nervous System). That's how you get stronger. As you progress and add more weight, your CNS adapts and is able to recruit more of your muscle fibre to help lift the weight. It's the concept of progressive overload.

On your days off form lifting, you can do some HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). Sprints are great.

Cycling is also a great for the legs.

When spring comes, get on the water early, put it all together, and work on your hiking by...HIKING!

If you have specific questions on programming/exercises or on how you should be eating, just PM me. I can answer questions, and/or refer you to some very good sources of information.

Necro bump. Yaaaay!

From some more recent discussion on the usage of gym balls as training tools:

I have a theory about the Bosu ball **** and it goes like this: The only way to get better at doing movements on a Bosu ball is to do the movements on a Bosu ball, which means the first time a PT puts somebody on one they think: "Good golly, I'm terrible at this!" and the PT gets to say: "Oh dear, you have an imbalance in your sartorius, erector spinæ, and gastrocnemius! I can help you correct that, for a nominal fee," when in reality, EVERYONE sucks at squatting, etc. on a Bosu ball their first time because it's a completely bull**** movement! He might as well have you to juggle 5 clubs to assess your imbalances. It's a ****ing con and people always ****ing fall for it.

"Oh, well I've never done what he's asking me to do before and he says I have all these imbalances, so doing this must fix them!" Do you see the logical fallacy here? For some reason personal training seems to have become a competition to see who can get their clients to do the goofiest **** and believe it helps them.

As soon as he told you parallel is as low as you should go on squats you should have thanked him for his services but said they were no longer needed.

I'm going to try and cover a lot of stuff here. There is some bad advice in this thread.

As you have found out, sailing is a physical sport. You should learn to like compound lifts. Isolation exercises are not the way to got. You want to be working movements, not isolating muscles.

-Deadlift (DL from now on)
-Squat
-Overhead press (Strict or Push) (SOHP or OHP from now on)
-Bent over rows (BORs from now on)
-Dips
-Bench (Elbows in a little, not flared)
-Pull Ups
-Chin ups

At 5'10, 135 lbs, You're pretty thin and could easily put on 15 lbs. in a month or two. It's pretty simple with enough calories (food) and a program compiled of the exercises I mentioned above.

Body weight core work can only take you so far. What happens when you can efficiently lift your body weight? Your abs are muscles, so why work them any different? You hve to add weight if you want them to get stronger. The good thing: DL, Squat, OHP will all work your core. You can also ad in some ab wheel roll outs and weight sit ups.

Leg press isn't that great, as the range of motion is severely reduced and it can put your lower back in a somewhat compromised position. You don't need leg curls, wither. Just squat - squat deep.

DL is great, because it also really strengthens you spinal erectors (lower back). We all know how key that is for hiking.

Gym trainers/the people that work at gyms are usually ****.

Jeffers, why not push hard at the beginning? I don't understand why you would say that.

Again, don't focus on muscle groups, focus on movements.

Now: You can lift all you want, but if you're not eating enough, you won't put on weight.

Your body needs 16 calories per pound to maintain it's current weight. For you, that is 2160.

To put on weight, your body need 17-18 calories per pound. Let's go with 18 to be safe. For you, that is 2430. That's not much at all.

Try aiming for 3000 and see what happens.

You should be doing all the lifting in 5 sets of 5 reps. You can lift 3 days a week, or even a 2 day split if you wanted. If you're lifting heavy, though, you're going to need to let your body recover.

Lifting heavy is taxing on your CNS (Central Nervous System). That's how you get stronger. As you progress and add more weight, your CNS adapts and is able to recruit more of your muscle fibre to help lift the weight. It's the concept of progressive overload.

On your days off form lifting, you can do some HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). Sprints are great.

Cycling is also a great for the legs.

When spring comes, get on the water early, put it all together, and work on your hiking by...HIKING!

If you have specific questions on programming/exercises or on how you should be eating, just PM me. I can answer questions, and/or refer you to some very good sources of information.

your program is a little extreme... i dont know any top laser sailors that are meatheads.

most people's bodies are designed to be around a certain healthy weight. you cant really deviate from that weight by more than 10-15lbs and be healthy.

i agree that lifting heavy weights will obviously add the muscle bulk that this sailor needs... but at some point they should mainly focus on cardio.

whoever said that when they gain 15lbs they should sail fulls is crazy, or probably sails somewhere like st. st clair where it blows 0-5kts.

re pushing hard in the beginning, ive been there, and its not smart.
1) the muscle soreness can really hold back your on and off water training
2) the muscle soreness can really motivate someone to quit
3) training too hard too soon can cause injuries

your program is a little extreme... i dont know any top laser sailors that are meatheads.

most people's bodies are designed to be around a certain healthy weight. you cant really deviate from that weight by more than 10-15lbs and be healthy.

i agree that lifting heavy weights will obviously add the muscle bulk that this sailor needs... but at some point they should mainly focus on cardio.

whoever said that when they gain 15lbs they should sail fulls is crazy, or probably sails somewhere like st. st clair where it blows 0-5kts.

re pushing hard in the beginning, ive been there, and its not smart.
1) the muscle soreness can really hold back your on and off water training
2) the muscle soreness can really motivate someone to quit
3) training too hard too soon can cause injuries

I don't think I ever gave him program. I gave him exercises/movements that are pretty much universally accepted as the best exercises for those looking to get stronger, gain weight and improve athletic performance. I then told him some facts about his eating habits that will need to occur if he wants to gain weight. Then I suggested some form of cardio. What's extreme about suggesting lifting and cardio?

Also, what do you consider a "meathead"? In my opinion, that is a BS term, used by weak, unmotivated people to describe those who have dedicated themselves to being strong/fit.

I don't know if this quote really applies here, but someone posted it on another forum of which I am a member and I thought it was probably the best summation for the situation. It deals with work ethic and the so called "meathead":

The funny thing is that just about everyone wants to be big, strong and tough when they are kids. Most people lack the knowledge, drive, and discipline to succeed, so what do they do? They repress the desire and think about all the negative stereotypes associated with being strong or muscular, using that as a justification for their laziness, since they know they'll never be like that themselves.

A meathead is the guy who goes to the gym every day and does bench press and endless sets of curls only so he can get the beach muscles to show off to other people. Their only desire is to look good/strong, with no interest in actually being strong or improving any athletic performance.

The weight thing you mention is also BS/a myth. So you're telling me a guy who is 6'4, 140 lbs shouldn't strive to gain weight if that's the weight he's been at for five years or more? I can only speak from experience, but since September, I've gone from about 177 lbs to 197 lbs. Feel great. But nevermind that, please tell me how you even determine this "healthy" weight.

No, you don't agree that "lifting heavy weight will obviously add the muscle bulk that this sailor needs," because it won't. Eating more food will. Lifting weights does not add mass. You performance in the kitchen does.

Pushing hard in the beginning: You should always push as hard as your possibly can while maintaining correct form in the lifts you are performing. By not doing this, you are short changing yourself. What reason is there not to push yourself?

Muscle soreness: Sure, DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) sucks, but if you are lifting consistently, it's presence will be greatly reduced in both frequency and severity. It's presence is also directly affected by how much your are recovering, ie. eating and sleeping.

Quitting due to DOMS: If you quit because you get some DOMS, I don't even know what to say. (I tried to think of something, but couldn't.) I don't know who would be motivated to quit because of being sore the next day. They obviously weren't meant for anything athletic.

No, training too hard too early does not cause injuries. Training improperly causes injuries. As I said before, your goal should be to push yourself as hard as you possibly can while still maintaining proper form in whatever it is you are doing. How are you going to get hurt doing something with proper form? If you try and be a hero and use too much weight, you deserve what is coming to you.

shatty,

theres not a thing wrong with big muscles. and by meathead i meant more of a gym rat that doesnt actually play a sport, they just work out.

like i said theres nothing wrong with big muscles, but ive met funk, tunnicliffe, gulari and they dont have big muscles. because if they took the time to train enough to get BIG huge muscles theyd lose because they arent sailing enough.

nevermind the fact that lasers require cardio endurance, and A LOT of flexibility. the perfect laser body is much closer to a gymnast's body than a football players body or an america's cup grinder's body, because more important than pure strength you need agility. especially with the new rigging. my 4 yo nephew can trim the vang now that its 47:1.

just curious, do you race lasers?

shatty,

theres not a thing wrong with big muscles. and by meathead i meant more of a gym rat that doesnt actually play a sport, they just work out.

like i said theres nothing wrong with big muscles, but ive met funk, tunnicliffe, gulari and they dont have big muscles. because if they took the time to train enough to get BIG huge muscles theyd lose because they arent sailing enough.

nevermind the fact that lasers require cardio endurance, and A LOT of flexibility. the perfect laser body is much closer to a gymnast's body than a football players body or an america's cup grinder's body, because more important than pure strength you need agility. especially with the new rigging. my 4 yo nephew can trim the vang now that its 47:1.

just curious, do you race lasers?

Proper lifting is a sport. Olympic lifting and powerlifting.

I've seen Tunnicliffe at events. She is a muscular female.

I think you missed the point where getting "BIG huge" muscles is a function of caloric intake and not lifting. Also, the strongest "normal" people (ie. not pro powerlifters with pharmaceutical aid, have full time jobs/careers, etc.) I know of with "BIG huge" muscles lift from once to three times a week, for about an hour-1.5 hours each session. That's not much time over the run of a week.

I've seen and know some pretty big, high level Laser sailors. Either way, on the fitness spectrum, with strength at one end and cardio at the other, sailing obviously does not fall at either extreme. Each person has to find the balance that works for them.

People also need to realise that you can be strong without being big.

I don't know if your saying Laser sailing requires "A LOT of flexibility" as if other sports don't, where the athletes are much bigger don't, but if you are, you're severely mistaken. I've seen 300 lb+ guys almost doing the splits.

Gymnasts are short.

I can't think of a time I ever needed flexibility to sail my Laser. I definitely never needed to stretch for any reason. Not saying doing so wouldn't have been a benefit, but there was never a reason to. Why do you have to be flexible to sail a Laser?

I raced Lasers for 6 years, but then I grew up and had to join the real world because unlike many kids you see racing, my primary sponsorship (parents) wasn't going to just keep throwing money at my sailing, nor would I even waste their money.

so you dont race lasers, and think its a waste of money, why are you here? perhaps you should head back to the fitness forums.

every decent laser sailor knows that in order to work the boat through waves effectively, flexibility is certainly important.

... I definitely never needed to stretch for any reason. Not saying doing so wouldn't have been a benefit, but there was never a reason to. ...

This thesis is correct and verified by actual sports scientists (f.e.: Prof. Ingo Froboese, University of Sports, Collogne/Germany).
Stretching (decent/soft way) aft power-training is only good for ("mental") easing and relaxation of the body.

"Stretching" (before doing intensive sports) should not be missunderstood to an intensive "warm up". Of course it is definitely a need to initiate a better blood flow in the muscles and the body in general f.e. if sailing intensive the Laser or doing intensive alpine-skiing down hills etc.etc.

F.e.:
I haven't done a decent "warm up" at my last intensive sportive activity (lifting several Laser hulls onto a road trailer).
Result: 1.: a hairline fissure of my right inner meniscus; 2.: damages of the osteochondral tissue at the inner side of the patella and 3.: water in the knee... It's not to dramatical than it sounds, but I get my hurts because I wasn't warmed up enough. This has nothing to do with "Stretching". At the end of the month, I 'll be send to sleep for half an hour and get an arthroscopy ...

... I can't think of a time I ever needed flexibility to sail my Laser. ...Why do you have to be flexible to sail a Laser? ...
Some (but not all) examples, why there is a need to be sufficient flexible:
You need to be flexible
- to balance the boat on a fast reach, especially in tricky winds
- to do a perfect tack/gybe in strong winds
- to be able to do perfect kinetics on upwind courses (view f.e the famous long videos at You Tube of Robert Scheidt at a practice race in the sound of Kiel ~ in 2004/2005)and to quick come into the cockpit back aft strong hiking out or move out of the cockpit for strong hiking out in tricky/shifty winds on the upwind legs .

Have fun
LooserLu

I raced Lasers for 6 years, but then I grew up and had to join the real world because unlike many kids you see racing, my primary sponsorship (parents) wasn't going to just keep throwing money at my sailing, nor would I even waste their money.

Actually I think you are wrong. I remember an old thread where Shatty told us about his Laser experience and if you look in his profile he says he does sail Lasers. Sorry but you must be fair to the guy and not accuse him of not being active in the sport.

Whilst I might disagree with some of his comments about Laser sailing (i.e. don't match my Laser experience) I am no expert so would not say he is wrong or does not sail a Laser (maybe he sails in different conditions or something from myself).

Ian

so you dont race lasers, and think its a waste of money, why are you here? perhaps you should head back to the fitness forums.

every decent laser sailor knows that in order to work the boat through waves effectively, flexibility is certainly important.

Reading comprehension?

I never once said it was a waste of money. What I said was at the point I was at in my life, it would have to continue. Sailing brought me some of the best experiences of my life and I'm glad I have a sport I can do for my whole life.

I raced for 6 years, the majority spent as one of the 3-4 Laser sailors on my provincial sailing team. Had some alright results, but really, I never sailed more than 5-6 months of the year and only full time June through to the end of August. Sailed Laser in the NAs that were in St. Marg's Bay in 2006, which is my biggest regret because sailing Radial against the competition that was there and in the conditions that prevailed through the regatta at my size would have lead to a top 10.

My last season was coming back after a car accident where I burst fractured 3 vertebrae in my neck and 3 in my back, so I don't really count that one. Had a chance to do really well at Canadian's anyway, but we all know about those "if I wasn't OCS" races. Also had a DNF due to illness.

What's your Laser experience?

Some (but not all) examples, why there is a need to be sufficient flexible:
You need to be flexible
- to balance the boat on a fast reach, especially in tricky winds
- to do a perfect tack/gybe in strong winds
- to be able to do perfect kinetics on upwind courses (view f.e the famous long videos at You Tube of Robert Scheidt at a practice race in the sound of Kiel ~ in 2004/2005)and to quick come into the cockpit back aft strong hiking out or move out of the cockpit for strong hiking out in tricky/shifty winds on the upwind legs .

Have fun
LooserLu

always broke those down to combination of reaction, technique, strength and finesse.

Actually I think you are wrong. I remember an old thread where Shatty told us about his Laser experience and if you look in his profile he says he does sail Lasers. Sorry but you must be fair to the guy and not accuse him of not being active in the sport.

Whilst I might disagree with some of his comments about Laser sailing (i.e. don't match my Laser experience) I am no expert so would not say he is wrong or does not sail a Laser (maybe he sails in different conditions or something from myself).

Ian

Yeah I didn't sail last season and the one before that was a wreck, as mentioned above.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to do some this summer, but probably nothing major because I don't want to pay for it and it's not worth it for me anymore.

I don't think I've ever claimed to have that much Laser experience. I've said before I've never traveled to Europe, or anywhere outside of North America.

I tried to edit in, but it had expired...

I'm at the point now where I think I would actually rather coach than sail. I like to volunteer coach whenever I can get out in a boat and get the time.

Not the demon I'm painted as lol.

I've neither lied nor bragged about my sailing experience here. Ever.

I sailed my best in the breeze, even in my last summer, when my body was a wreck. I also spent a lot of time training in St. Margaret's Bay. That was where Wrold's were this year. There are waves. I'd consider myself somewhat proficient in the art of navigating a Laser through waves at the fastest pace possible. More so downwind than up.

154537, if you're going to call someone out and make remarks such as those you have, trying being a bit more eloquent and less obvious about it. Also, try reading harder.

I look forward to hearing the extent of your Laser sailing experience.

@ TLF admins:
Something is strange here: TLF-member "Shatty007" now is called "Kratos".

For my understanding of the rules of this forum, there is no legal way to change the name at TLF. Has TLF been a target of an internet hacker in this case?

Ciao
LooserLu

@ TLF admins:

For my understanding of the rules of this forum, there is no legal way to change the name at TLF. Has TLF been a target of an internet hacker in this case?

Ciao
LooserLu

You can send a PM to Bradley and he'll change your name for you. I had mine changed a few months ago.

@ TLF admins:

Ciao
LooserLu

I PM'ed someone, Lu.

Come on man, you're riding me a little hard here lately.

You can send a PM to Bradley and he'll change your name for you. I had mine changed a few months ago.

Yeah, I PM'ed Merrily.

my laser experience sounds similar to yours, kratos.

but id never call spending my parents $ on laser sailing a waste

my laser experience sounds similar to yours, kratos.

but id never call spending my parents $ on laser sailing a waste

I'd like to hear a little more detail than that. Do you have much racing experience, big regattas, etc?

And I'm fairly confident that there comes a certain point where, yes, it does become a waste. I love sailing, but I don't let that blind me into keep throwing money at it.

Why is it no longer worth sailing anymore and why is it a waste of money? Lots of people are wasting their money all around the world every weekend using that thinking.

Or is it just a waste of money for those that are elite sailors who have not achieved their dreams?

This is one of the many reasons why we are seeing declining participation in our sport. Heavily supported youth sailing, which has its place but sets up some people with a sense of entitlement.

Once you are an adult and the bills need to be paid for your hobby, it all gets to hard and isn't "worth" it. I have sadly seen them come into the class ready to take on the best and then seen them quit after their (often unrealistic) dreams remain unfulfilled.

I will be wasting more money on sailing tomorrow for our club marathon race and I hope I can keep wasting money on sailing for lets say the next 60 years.

I PM'ed someone, Lu.

Come on man, you're riding me a little hard here lately.

Yeah, I PM'ed Merrily.

The point in this single case here is, not to criticize you. It's your own decision, if you decide to change your user name. But it is just irritating for others here, if someone suddenly changes his or her user name. One is able to see / to track this at this thread. In the quotations at the older replies here (f.e.: No. #10, #15, #16) you are still "Shatty007". The only fix/clue to recognize you has been your avatar. There hasn't been any sort announcement that you did change your user name.

F.e. at me: When I did join TLF, I made a mistake in writing my user name correct. I meant "LoserLu", but I wrote "LooserLu". My native language is German and if I say in English "loser", it sounds the same way like to say "looser" (l[u:]ser). For a native English speaker sure it is easy to discern the difference and to spell it correct. But many aliens like me, that do not evertime speak in English everytime, have problems in such cases.

However, I didn't changed my user name. It is easyer now to recognize/find me in old Quotations, replies and threads, if one is searching something here. F.e.: If "Eric_R" is quotated in older replies somerwhere at TLF with his old user name, one is probably not able to recognize him as now "Eric_R" and to ask him via PM about an open question, do you understand what I try to express?

Nonetheless: Sorry to discuss this "out of topic"-aspect in this thread, but I felt it is important to mention here that "Shatty007"="Kratos".

Ciao
LooserLu

Why is it no longer worth sailing anymore I never said it wasn't worht sailing anymore. I'm definitely going to sail, but I'm not going to do NA, Midwinters, NQR, etc. and why is it a waste of money? I'm more referring to continuing to race at the level at which I have in the past. That would be money unwisely spent. Lots of people are wasting their money all around the world every weekend using that thinking.

Or is it just a waste of money for those that are elite sailors who have not achieved their dreams? ?????? If you got the funds you wanna burn, go for it. You think I'm still going to pursue making the Canadian Sailing Team at this point? Sometimes, you have to be realistic about what's going on. Maybe when I was 17 and things were slightly less complicated, that was an alright goal to have, and I did have it.

This is one of the many reasons why we are seeing declining participation in our sport. Heavily supported youth sailing, which has its place but sets up some people with a sense of entitlement. I don't get where you're going with this? Could you clarify that some more? I know you're not referring specifically to me (or are you?), but wouldn't having a sense of entitlement be characterized by wanting and expecting things to continue to be handed to you in the manner that you were once accustomed to? That's the exact opposite of what I'm saying. I don't think I'm entitled to anything.

Once you are an adult and the bills need to be paid for your hobby, it all gets to hard and isn't "worth" it. You're talking about sailing as a hobby, while I am talking about competing at a high level. Sailing is certainly worth it. Racing in the aforementioned manner, chasing a dream, may not be. I have sadly seen them come into the class ready to take on the best and then seen them quit after their (often unrealistic) dreams remain unfulfilled. I don't get this one either. You realise there is a point where life decisions must be made, right? Racing is easy when you're 16-18, but what about when you need to go to school, get jobs in the summer, etc, etc. It's just called realising when it might be time to stop trying to live the dream.

I will be wasting more money on sailing tomorrow for our club marathon race and I hope I can keep wasting money on sailing for lets say the next 60 years. We're not even talking about the same thing. I never freaking said to quit sailing or that sailing as a sport/hobby was a waste of money. I'm sorry if you thought that was what I was talking about. I was talking about traveling to race in big regattas, etc.

The point in this single case here is, not to criticize you. It's your own decision, if you decide to change your user name. But it is just irritating for others here, if someone suddenly changes his or her user name. One is able to see / to track this at this thread. In the quotations at the older replies here (f.e.: No. #10, #15, #16) you are still "Shatty007". The only fix/clue to recognize you has been your avatar. There hasn't been any sort announcement that you did change your user name. I wasn't going to start a thread about it. Like you said, My avatar is still the same.

F.e. at me: When I did join TLF, I made a mistake in writing my user name correct. I meant "LoserLu", but I wrote "LooserLu". My native language is German and if I say in English "loser", it sounds the same way like to say "looser" (l[u:]ser). For a native English speaker sure it is easy to discern the difference and to spell it correct. But many aliens like me, that do not evertime speak in English everytime, have problems in such cases.

However, I didn't changed my user name. It is easyer now to recognize/find me in old Quotations, replies and threads, if one is searching something here. F.e.: If "Eric_R" is quotated in older replies somerwhere at TLF with his old user name, one is probably not able to recognize him as now "Eric_R" and to ask him via PM about an open question, do you understand what I try to express? I get what you're saying, but I don't think it's too big of an issue.

Nonetheless: Sorry to discuss this "out of topic"-aspect in this thread, but I felt it is important to mention here that "Shatty007"="Kratos". You don't have to apologize, man. No biggie.

Ciao
LooserLu

OK, enough with the off topic stuff. Shatty007 is now Kratos. Yes, it is possible to change your screen name with a polite request, but as Lu points out, it could be confusing. Lu, I don't want to change you to LoserLu, LooserLu is wonderfully funky.

Sean, I got right away that Kratos had decided to spare his parents' money on a futile campaign and to now sail on a different level. He was being mature.

Kratos, this is what happens when one is pushy--people push back. I do commend you for keeping it calm and rational.

OK, enough with the off topic stuff. Shatty007 is now Kratos. Yes, it is possible to change your screen name with a polite request, but as Lu points out, it could be confusing. Lu, I don't want to change you to LoserLu, LooserLu is wonderfully funky.

Sean, I got right away that Kratos had decided to spare his parents' money on a futile campaign and to now sail on a different level. He was being mature.

Kratos, this is what happens when one is pushy--people push back. I do commend you for keeping it calm and rational.

I just love the discussion. Definitely too much time on my hands.

I think what he posted would have been fine, if I had said/implied what he was interpreting me to have. I actually agree with some of what he was saying, it just wasn't applicable to what I was saying.

We just weren't posting on the same aspect of sailing.

You managed to essentially sum most of it up in one sentence... Until I make an arthritic, forty-five year old comeback to pwn some young whippersnappers.

I don't mind when/if people are pushy/push back. Par for the course, in my opinion. (Within reason.)

You really don't have to commend me for anything, though. I find that a little awkward (to be honest), seeing as I'm twenty haha.

Good luck with whatever sporting aspirations you may have Kratos.

20 is quite young to have given up the goal of being in the Canadian team in my opinion but I am sure you are an accurate judge of your own abilities.

Back