Laser Performance United

Discussion in 'Laser Class Politics' started by Tillerman, Jun 17, 2012.

1. torrid

torrid Just sailing

That's just the standard McLaren logo from a boat they sponsoreded. My guess is this sailor bought his boat used after some championship event, and the sail from the event came with the boat.

2. sorosz

sorosz Member

Looks pretty much the same as the logo used for the Laser Slalom in SF in 2011. Just google Laser Slalom photos. . .

3. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Well, I appear to be a card-carrying member of the union. Just came in the mail today. I'll play along for now - until they want money.

4. tag

tag my2fish

Same here, card came in the mail yesterday. Not sure what the benefits are really.

5. Newalba

Newalba A Laser Sponge.

Me too - received it last week. Still not clear what I get for being a member, but I'm now getting an email newsletter called the Rhumbline.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Swerve123

Swerve123 Member

I just got a Rhumbline newsleter , I was interested in the discount for a products, so I called Laser in Newport, they are stocking Lasers made in the UK. What happened to made in NA? $6095 - 10% is that a good buy?

7. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

The Lasers made in the UK are not actually being made by LP but by the firm that has been building them for the last few years. Where this fits in the grand scheme of things I could not really tell you.

• Like Like x 1
  8. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Actually $5400 for a complete boat doesn't sound too bad, though I suspect at that price it comes with old-style rigging.

9. torrid

torrid Just sailing

The last newsletter said ISAF was still supplying LP with hull plaques, so the UK-built boats would be class legal.

My impression is that ever since the ISAF vetoed the proposed rule changes, everyone has been operating on an unspoken status-quo basis (though I doubt Bruce Kirby is getting any license fees from LP). The rumored big announcement doesn't seem to have materialized.

10. stuck in the 80s

stuck in the 80s Member

Just looking on the Uk laser association website http://www.laser.org.uk/ & there it all is
    the laser/torch update,
    the law suit,
    Bruce Kirby's side of the story,
    it looks like the name & starburst will end & the boat with its new symbol will continue.