laser mast step leaking

vege_pie

my laser 4.7 mast step is leaking it has had 1 repair job done on it before from what i can see it has expanding foam around the bottom of it inside the hull.

it is starting to leak a lot more from when i got the boat and i think this is where it is coming through.

iv been told to get some marine glue stuff and carefully put it down the hole of the mast step is this right?

Vege Pie,

Water can come in your hull from several location, to find out if your mast step is the culprit, pour some water in the mast step and see if it leaks. If so, the integrity of your mast step is jeopardized (maybe not critically but nonetheless). since you were able to see the interior base it means your an inspection port. Search the archives on this forum for advice on repairing it properly, you can start with this posting: http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=10438&highlight=mast+step

If you have an older Laser, like ours, the second source can be the cockpit drain, more specifically the joint between the deck portion and the hull at the drain, for that repair you will need another inspection hole on the rear deck to perform this one, check this posting for some excellent guidance: http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=6507&highlight=1979+separation

We performed both these repairs and the interior is now bone dry!

Hopes this helps you, you must hurry to get this done, as your summer is about to start, while here, snow is knocking at our doors and the boats are stored!!!! :(

G

First pour water in your mast step, does it leak all the way to the bottom? sometimes the leak is in the actual tube and you can wrap it in fiberglass, if it in the bottom you might be able to get away with pouring some resin in and leaving the step level until it dries, the bottom of the tube is probably worn down after alot of sailing,

you'll need some fiberglass resin and fiberglass matte for the repair, the west systems products work very well

Back