Laser Island Voyages Back In The Day

Discussion in 'Photo Gallery' started by Ghost Rider, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Planing into eternity...

Stumbled across this forum while reminiscing about island voyages aboard Laser #2069... a sweet boat with good karma. The islands in question are Los Coronados, off the northern end of Baja... I used to sail my Laser out there all the time, particularly during "stealth voyages" wherein I landed, derigged & camouflaged the boat, ascended to the summit, explored each island and partied like a rock star under a primo night sky. No light pollution out there in those days, you understand. The islands remain wildlife sanctuaries (est. 1924), and one is supposed to have permission from the Mexican gubmint to land anywhere in the chain... guess that made me an illegal immigrant (temporary overnight status on each voyage), but WTF, somebody had to do it. Here's a spam-free link to some island pics taken during various voyages, including my initial voyage to Isla Sur... if this link goes through alright, I'll post links to stories of my three initial voyages, plus a couple of other nautical tales of adventure, including sailing the length of the Salton Sea aboard a 12' Minifish. Got pics of that voyage too, the Salton is an awesome sailing venue, most clubhouse kooks & posers are totally clueless about it. Meh, first we'll see if this island link goes through, I haven't bothered reading all the website terms and whatnot.

Random outdoor adventure shots... - Outdoor Adventure USA, LLC

Well, back to my college ballgame, I'll check manana to see whether the link made it... there are four sets of pics on two pages in that thread, not all are island shots but you'll figure it out. Got a thousand photos posted elsewhere, but this old site will do for starters. Cheers!!! :cool:

2. Ghost Rider

Well, I made it back to this forum, here are several links to stories I wrote about my first three Laser voyages to Los Coronados. The first story was published in the San Diego Reader back in 1992, and I received a lousy $500 for it. In the completed electronic manuscript for my book, I incorporated photos directly into the text, and of course there are no cheesy ads and whatnot to distract the reader. However, the text of each story is identical, and you diehard Laser sailors out there in cyberspace will probably get a kick out of these old school tales of seafaring adventure...

Laserium

Isla Norte

Illusion Dweller

Here's a tip: if you click on that little "Tales of Adventure" line just above each story title, you can access two pages of stories I wrote back in the day, including "THE CULT OF THE LASER" and other tales. You old school vertical skateboarders out there, check out "TRIX ARE FOR KIDS"---a classic saga of skating back when the quest for vertical and overhang was all-consuming, LOL. That story earned me a lousy grand when it was published in 1993. Alright, I'm done here, gotta go, you diehard Laser sailors enjoy my tales of nautical adventure and Los Coronados... :eek:

P.S. Read the stories listed above in the order they appear, which is also the chronological order of the voyages. Might wanna grab a drink before ya get started... CHEERS!!! :cool:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018 at 11:07 AM
  3. Ghost Rider

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot to post pics of Salton Expedition II, or at least a link to some pics. On Salton Expedition I, a friend and I sailed the breadth of the Salton Sea, launching from the jetties outside Salton City and reaching across the lake to a point near Bombay Beach. On Salton Expedition II, I decided to solo sail the length of the lake, launching from the basin behind NSYC (North Shore Yacht Club), reaching out to the centerline of the lake, then sailing right down that centerline to some mud flats near Red Hill Marina. Awesome sailing venue, the Salton, the foul stench along shore is gone once you're far enough out... wading through the muck and shoals of rotting fishbones turns most people away before they ever get a clue, LOL. Largest lake in CA and I had it all to myself, not another intrepid explorer in sight... largest lake in terms of surface area, Tahoe probably has it beat in terms of volume, since the Salton lies in a shallow desert pan and the greatest depth is only around 50'. Anyway, here are a few pics of that memorable expedition, I posted some at another site but I'm damned if I can remember where, these will have to do for now, it's no great secret anymore that I suffer from CRS, LOL.

The Three Amigos... Sage, Dixie & Wingnut!!! | lilHonda.com

Scroll down to Post #14 in this thread, and you'll see the pics of Salton Expedition II. Long after I'm dead and the Salton Sea has vanished, that Crudweiser shot will make me famous... CHEERS!!!