Laser Europeans

keenbean

Hi All,

Does anyone know the qualification criteria for the Standard Europeans? How many GBR boats are generally considered?

Has anyone qualified for an event of this magnitude? I have a full time job and am 21 with a full time girlfriend...it's difficlt to find the time but am keen to use this event as a future goal. I am currently spending 6-8 hours on the water per week. Any advice would be great!!

beano

If you want to qualify for worlds/europeans you need to do the UK qualifiers and get a position on the ranking ladder. There are 6 events per year and 4 count to the ladder. Entry fee is £36 for the Stokes Bay Q and £46 for all the others.

There are not that many places compared to the amount of people that want to do the events. You need to be inside the top 15 on the laser standard ranking ladder to stand a chance usually.

I did the radial worlds last year in Largs and its quite hard to plan if you are borderline. I got my place quite late so getting accommodation can be hard/more expensive, whereas the top guys know they will get a place so can book early.

Just for reference, I'm not a youth/squaddie - I'm 31 with a full time job so you can get there even with the time constraints working puts on training. I think I was one of only 3 girls there without a coach/support rib!

Back