Laser Camping

Hey, has anyone ever done any overnight trips on their laser?

I'm thinking pack a barrel full of lightweight camping gear, and going for a nice long sail, set up camp stay the night, back on the boat in morning... like a mini cruise. I live in Kingston and would likely be hitting up the 1000 islands/Wolfe island area....

anyone ever try something like this? Thoughts? I have a friend who did it on a Tasar on the west coast...

Y'know Erik...you could just keep sailing south, and west, and end up on Flathead for the District Championship in August......

I've thought about it...how to carry enough food and water for a day or two. Are you thinking strap it to the deck, or tow it behind?
Mike

There is a book you might find interesting called "Land on my right" by Ron Pattenden. It is his story about sailing a Laser round the UK. He is not Charles Dickens and it is in some regards a bit like a diary. Interesting but not a great literary work.

Obviously he had to carry camping gear, etc. so relevant.

As far as I know it was never published in the ISBN sense but is available from Lulu (http://www.lulu.com/browse/search.php?search_forum=-1&search_cat=2&show_results=topics&return_chars=200&search_keywords=&keys=&header_search=true&search=&locale=&sitesearch=lulu.com&q=&fListingClass=0&fSearch=%22land+on+my+right%22+ron+pattenden&fSubmitSearch.x=0&fSubmitSearch.y=0). I don't know if that is available in the US or what but definitely worth a read. (I notice you can buy it as a download quite a lot cheaper than printed format).

Ian

My sister does a bunch of canoe tripping and she had some waterproof barrels... I was thinking of duct taping that to the mast (in front). Travel light, ala hammock, hatchet and food!.

my only concern is figuring out where to stay and where to put boat.... I know in the shushwap lakes in interior BC all the house boaters roll up onto the shore of provincial parks and camp the night.... unfortunately I think my area is mostly cottages and farm land..

I'm also concerned about hauling my boat up on shore.

Mike, would love to make it to flathead again, but alas, I live in Ontario now. CORK or bust!

IN RI I have used a gunnel coverd canoe. Cooler, stove, lantern sleeping bags, tent, etc, Cruised with two Lasers tandem tethered by a long poly pro float line with canoe in tow. The dolly breaks down to fit into the canoe and is shared by both Lasers at the sight. A beer keg may have been order, but cans sufficed.

I've used my Laser to go camping many times over the years at Tomales Bay/Point Reyes CA. I put the tent, sleeping bags, clothing, food and water, etc, all in a big waterproof bag that I strap to the base of the mast on deck. You can see the general load layout here:

I even have a lawnchair strapped forward of the other bag. It's a great getaway SUV - the Laser!

Dennis
Tomales Bay, CA

I hope for your sake that Fred doesn't see this. I suspect that folding chair is not 'builder-supplied" and you could be in big trouble.

It's all in fun, 'til someone loses a protest.

I'm just sayin'

(Looks like a heck of a lot of fun though. ;) )

I'm afraid Fred already knows me.....

- and that my Laser has,
shall we say, rule violations galore.

I hope for your sake that Fred doesn't see this. I suspect that folding chair is not 'builder-supplied" and you could be in big trouble.

You can get builder supplier chairs. However, they are twice the price and after you have sat in them twice they have stretched out of shape are are pretty useless.

Ian

Dennis,

That set-up is EXACTLY the kind of thing I have been planning.

The more I talk about this (around home club ect.) the more I hear people have done stuff like this, which is encouraging.

Heard someone sailed from Kingston, ON to Main Duck Island, which seems like it would be quite the upwind sail through open water...

Where did you stay? and were you alone?

did you just beach your boat?

The exact location of where I stay shall remain classified, but it is one or another of beaches that are only boat-accesible. And yes, I stay alone. I beach the boat and have to adjust it for the tides.

Dennis,

That set-up is EXACTLY the kind of thing I have been planning.

The more I talk about this (around home club ect.) the more I hear people have done stuff like this, which is encouraging.

Heard someone sailed from Kingston, ON to Main Duck Island, which seems like it would be quite the upwind sail through open water...

Where did you stay? and were you alone?

did you just beach your boat?

In addition, I remember to the following website. The editor of the homepage still is member of TLF and from the US Eastcoast (sorry I forgot your name). Perhaps he has any news to report to this website he offers. I've done camping on a Laser at the lakes in the north of the Netherlands, nearly in the same way Eyeper has done / is doing it.

http://grotr4.tripod.com/overnighting/index.htm

Cheers
LooserLu

Back