Laser boom inner sleeve

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by stuck in the 80s, Oct 19, 2011.

1. AlanD

AlanD Former ISAF Laser Measurer

The sleeve is not a part that wears out or breaks without the whole boom assembly breaking. There should be no need for it to be sold separately anymore. 99% of all the components used in the construction of the laser are not available without buying the complete assumbly, the sleeve is no different. Can you purchase the bottom panel of the sail? Or the left plate of the rudder head? Or the pin that forms the gooseneck fitting?

2. stuck in the 80s

stuck in the 80s Member

I had a look on the sailboats site, very good for the laser11, 3000, 4000, 5000 parts but much of a muchness with the laser parts,
    most fittings are from different manufactures anyway its the core items that we need an availability of.

3. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

Have to disagree with the logic AND the 99%

Look at Rudders/Daggerboards and the parts avail for them...

Rudder Pivot Pin, 3/8
    Price: $4.60​
    Rudderhead w/Pintles​
    Price: $126.00​
    Daggerboard Stop Set​
    Price: $10.00​
    Rudder Lift Stop
    Price: $9.00​
    Retaining Pin & Line
    Price: $6.00​
    Rudder Bushing Assy., 3/16​
    Price: $7.00​

Booms next:

Boom Sleeve Assembly Kit
    Price: $33.00​
    Vang Strap Kit
    Price: $15.00​
    Gooseneck Plug Kit
    Price: $11.00​
    End Plug Kit​
    Price: $10.00​
    Lacing Eyestrap Kit - Webbing.​
    Price: $8.00​
    Becket Block Kit
    Price: $23.00​
    Bullet Block Kit
    Price: $21.00​
    Lacing Eyestrap Kit - Stainless​
    Price: $9.00​
    Rivets - Aluminum (10)​
    Price: $4.44​
    Rivets - Stainless Steel (10)
    Price: $5.75​
    Traveler Fairlead, Blue
    Price: $4.00​
    Clam Cleat, Hardkote (Anodized) Aluminum​
    Price: $15.0​

I could keep going, but I hope I've made the point on both.

4. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

If the builders and/or class officials don't want us building our own booms from broken top sections, then at least offer a bare tube with the sleeve, as everything else is re-useable when a boom section breaks.

5. Sailorchick

Sailorchick Member

Lasernut is pretty expert at making booms up from broken booms and top sections nowadays. Neither of us see the point in binning perfectly good class legal parts if they can be made up into a functioning item.

6. GeoffS

GeoffS Member

All I can say is that if the option of building a boom from a broken top-section wasn't available, I would be sailing with an Intensity boom instead of the (class legal) boom I built over the summer.

7. stuck in the 80s

stuck in the 80s Member

It appears a lot of people talk a lot of sense.

8. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

Alan,
    Here in Ohio we still have people using old boats for events in which they must be class legal. I'm thinking in particular of Junior Bay week at Put-in-Bay. Until last year this event was the regional quarter final for the Smythe Trophy, the U.S.'s single-handed dinghy national award. We do what we can to get every kid who is interested on the water. It's not all rich kids.

9. AlanD

Quite a large number of the items you've listed are assemblies,
    your old style forward boom block are made up a sheave, two plastic casings, 4 washers, 2 pins (rivets technically). The new ones are similar but probably contain 20+ ball bearings.
    your daggerboard stop set, is made up of 3 parts
    Your rudder head is made up of more than a dozen parts, each of the pintles on it consists of multiple parts welded together.

The only things sold are those items assemblies or parts that fail, wear out or lost and can be easily replaced. They are selling items at the logical assembly level to sell them. You can argue that bare sections should be sold and a corresponding part would include the sleeve and I would agree, it was always my preferred way to purchase spars including with brand new boats as I still disassemble them to put on the anti corrosion gunk, but for what ever reason they have decided to stop supplying bare sections.

10. AlanD

Ditto.

But they expect you to transfer all the parts across that can be re-used. This includes the sleeve. Not to just end up with two complete booms.

11. AlanD

Keep doing what you've been doing I suspect, which probably includes scrounging parts of broken equipment. Trust me, the budget we had when I ran the university sailing clubs here was very small and my current budget for myself is a fraction of what I was spemding when I was "competitive". Hell I suspect that I spend more on my partners boat than I do on mine and she seems to get all my prizes transferred onto her boat.

12. tonyquoll

tonyquoll Member

. I'm doing up an old Laser, sail number 24877, dating to around 1976. The original boom has no sleeve, and bends excessively when I crank the vang/kicker on in strong winds. A boom sleeve costs AU$38.45, and a boom assembly complete is $354.59. This is a legitimate reason for buying a sleeve separately.

In response to my post where I linked to a boom sleeve available in the UK;
    . Remind you that this thread began with
    , which is obviously not a builder-supplied boom, and sought a sleeve in the UK.

Mostly I’m finding the information in this forum very, very useful in understanding the options and issues I’m facing in doing up a Laser. Thanks to those of you who aren’t just arguing for the sake of arguing.

13. fat-n-old

fat-n-old Member

Your post sums up the whole thread nicely......except that the part ( Laser Performance part number: 90418) is no longer available in the UK.; your link refers to a Laser 3000 mylar mainsheet guide.
    Hence the arguing.

14. cskudder

cskudder Active Member

15. stuck in the 80s

stuck in the 80s Member

I don't think the people of the USA would be best pleased with a length of Mylar stuffed down there boom instead of an aluminum tube,
    that possibly why such a price difference ?

16. AlanD

You are aware that the short sleeve was introduced about 30 years ago and the long sleeve about 20 years( I don't have any of my class rule books on hand to confirm those time frames but they are about right). I tend to agree with the factories on this one that there has been plenty of time for people to fit sleeves to existing booms.

17. stuck in the 80s

stuck in the 80s Member

I have just took the Gooseneck Plug of one of the old club booms & guess what no sleeeve so I cant measure it., the boat is only used for training so no hard abuse, no xd kit,
    I only assume that when the boom snaps the club will just claim on there insurance.
    Not all boats have been used in a competitive environment all there life.

18. tonyquoll

tonyquoll Member

Sorry about posting a link for a wrong part: a 900mm long Laser boom sleeve is not a 900mm long boom sleeve for a Laser!
    I know now that the strict one-design class of lasers includes:
    - Laser 1; with rig variations; standard, 4.7, radial, M and Rooster 8.1.
    - Laser 2, Laser 2000, Laser 3000, Laser 4000, Laser 5000, Laser Bahia and Laser SB3.
    I expect delivery of a Laser 1 boom sleeve this week (to retrofit my old boom) and can post dimensions after it arrives.

19. stuck in the 80s

stuck in the 80s Member

Much appreciated for that tony.

20. GeoffS

GeoffS Member

I don't know about that. I thought my '93 boat (145234) had a sleeved boom, but found out it didn't only last May when it broke. I would guess there are many people out there with pre-sleeve booms who might want to retrofit them (I know I would have, if I'd known there wasn't one in there...).