Laser Bahia

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Hanskie1001, May 11, 2011.

1. Miodrag Milovancevic

Miodrag Milovancevic New Member

You are all welcome. Once again I had a lot of problems rigging and learning about my boat because of poor support by Laser. Construction of this boat has changed and they offer no explanation about it, not even an updated version of parts locator... So if anyone needs help of any kind don't hesitate to ask

2. nuck123

nuck123 New Member

Hi
    I just got a new one. I have noticed the finish is pretty rough in places it's a bit like sand paper. I checked the other boats at Performance Laser and they were the same. I'm used to polished boats. Has anyone else noticed this?

Just rigging myself the gennaker sock seems to have changed the way it's attached.

3. Miodrag Milovancevic

Bahia is not a performance boat in that term so it is made of different kind of plastic, in fact it was made in a mould as a single piece. As a result, boat is rigid but twice as heavy. My friends 470 weighs roughly 120Kg and my Bahia is arround 200 maybe 220Kg. Once last summer we vent sailing on a lake not too far from where we live, it was two of us on a boat and since that was an artificial lake, water level was a bit higher so bank where we wanted to chill was flooded meadow. Since I did not want us to walk trough grass I charged to the shore with full sails on and beached us! You could never do this with plexy boat...

Bahia is supertough...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2014
  4. nuck123

nuck123 New Member

Hi
    It's not the build it's the finish I was questioning. Most of the surface is shiny and polished but there are rough areas. I was wondering if the others were the same and if anyone had polished them out. If so what did they use. Laser need to change my centre board as it seems to be cracked on the top and the bottom was very chipped.

The rest I love.

5. nuck123

nuck123 New Member

How did you attach your gennaker sock?

6. Miodrag Milovancevic

My bahia is "older model" and main difference from what I have seen are lower shrouds, older model has those and new one does not. I got it as demonstration boat and sock was already in place.

I was explaining the way it was made because it actually has no finish. Polyester boats are made in a way that you make the surface and then you apply coats of different stuff to make it slick and shiny. This boats surface is made of same stuff inside is also on the surface. If you scratch polyester boat, you are going to see inside layers but if you scratch Bahia, you will see same white plastic. Particles that look like sand and feel like sand are one kind of sand and purpose of those is to stabilize molten polyethylene in some way and also protect from UV influence(I got this from reading prior to purchase).

It should be possible to polish this or smooth-en in some way but I think it would not make much of a difference in therms of performance because it is the same surface as a boat twice as light...

7. Miodrag Milovancevic

If someone can answer, please do! How did you setup the spreaders? Have you followed the instructions in the rigging manual or not, also how did you adjust the shrouds, is the vernier adjuster place number 7 used to tension the shroud or not?

I am asking this because when sailing is more extreme outer shroud is always loose to the point where it is swinging almost 5cm from side to side... and I can't get more tension on it, or I am doing something wrong?

8. nuck123

nuck123 New Member

Hi I am struggling to rig the Vang do you have any pictures. I have a yellow rope from the blocks on the boom that passes through the whole in the boom with nothing on the end. I have a block arrangement lick a laser kicker that does not seem to lend itself to attaching to anything????

9. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

Hi there. I am new to the Bahia. Can you share how you made the swim ladder and how you attached it to the boat. Since I have the storage box at the back some children encountered difficulty in coming aboard.

Also have you ever had the storage box lid come loose upon a capsize? Am looking for a more secure way of securing the lid because I have lost some equipment and almost a trapeze harness with a capsize yesterday.

10. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

Can you tell me how you resolved getting into the boat? Was the rope with the step secured to the beam or to the back and how was it secured inside the boat?
    Also did you ever encounter problems with the storage box lid coming undone during a capsize? It has happened at soem point or another on each time I capsize and I am looking for something more secure.

11. RayG

RayG New Member

I am also new to Bahia, and I've had some problems figuring out the rigging. Does anyone have pictures of what the jib purchase system should look like? I also can't figure out the lower shrouds, so I'd appreciate any help with that as well.

12. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

Here the Bahia's rigging manual. See page 12 for lower shrouds and page 15 for jib purchase system

Attached Files:

13. gosootygo

gosootygo New Member

Hello everyone!

I have a Bahia, second season now and chuffed with it! I live in Scotland, but the boat is used in Greece in the summer.

I think it's a fantastic boat. I never sail with an engine or oars, but the wind is pretty reliable in Greece in August and I know the local conditions well, so I am getting some amazing trips island-hopping.

Only issue I have is that I can't reliably recover from a capsize when sailing solo. I am quite heavy (100kg) and I am definitely doing the right thing, so I was pretty surprised. But it's not an issue usually, as I'm either with company, or sailing pretty conservatively when solo.

I noticed above that folk are recovering from solo capsizes without problems. What are you doing? I uncleat all sheets, stand on the capsized hull's edge and pull on the centreboard, then stand at the edge of the centreboard once at the 90deg. But I can't get it past that point! The manual gives a minimum crew weight for recovery: I think 150kg. Maybe a bit more tasty souvlaki?

14. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

You should be able to right the Bahia on your own on the centreboard. I actually right it and scoop someone inside the boat from the lower side and it sights easily. If you can only right it up with two people pulling on the centreboard something must be wrong. I would check if there is any water in the ballast tanks of the hull. When the hull is empty the capsized boat sits high on the surface and the righting is really easy. Another help could be holding on to a rope so that you can lean back further out when on centre board.

15. gosootygo

gosootygo New Member

The hull is totally dry on the inside, so it must be something else. Maybe I need to give more time for the mast to drain of water. Thanks for the idea on the righting lines, I'll go and try that today!

16. Rob Hair

Rob Hair Member

I have no experience with the Bahia but many boats, including the Hobie 16 which I do own, have sealed masts. For righting the Hobie its vital to make sure the mast sealing is intact. If your mast takes on water I would get it sealed. Make sure all water is out first!

17. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

I would try baklava; worked for me (older Laser sailor)...

18. DOSailing

DOSailing New Member

Laser Bahia owners,
    I bought a used 2009 Laser Bahia this summer and I am having trouble getting the up haul and downhaul lines on the tiller/rudder setup correctly. Could someone post a diagram or photo of what has worked for you.

19. gosootygo

gosootygo New Member

Hey, I'm with my boat now, so I'll get you a pic if you still need them. But I think it's the exact same way a Laser 1's rudder is rigged, identical mentality. If there is one of those around, have a look.

20. gosootygo

gosootygo New Member

Jib halyard damage;

This is the second time I am changing the jib halyard in 3 years on the Bahia. This one lasted just a few days. I am not doing something wrong and using original parts. But I think the block it's going over has a very low D/d ratio (block diameter/ wire diameter), and it's overstressing the wire as it's bending.

Does anybody else have problems with broken wire strands around the area of the block where the jib halyard enters the mast and turns a 180 towards the deck? I am about to get another replacement, but I think the only permanent solution would be to either replace the block with a bigger one, or replace the halyard with something like a 5mm amsteel dyneema line. For info, for running rigging, the recommended minimum D/d ratio for block/wire is I think 15, so this looks like a design problem.