Laser 4000 or 5000?

ShiftSport

Can anyone tell me if there is any thoughts of having the Laser 4000 or 5000 classes here in North America?

I am new to Laser sailing and like the high performance skiff type.

I don't think so, as many people are only slighly familiar with what the boats are.

Double Post...It was posted in 2 forums that were later combined.

Don't think the RS range are available in the USA, I don't know about the laser thousands though. Its Vanguard who own the laser rights in the US so if they don't sell them (which they don't according to their website) they are not available. There must be other skiff type assymetrics around in the US. For those lucky sailors in the UK, details for buying these fast (but expensive - 4 to 5 new race spec lasers = cheap skiff...) boats, the links will take you to the manufacturers.

Click Here for the Laser Family of Performance Boats

Click Here for the RS Range of Assymetrics by LDC

Click Here for the Laser 4000

Click Here for the Laser 5000

Click Here for the Laser 4000 Class Association (UK)

Click Here for the RS Range Combined Class Association (UK)

Just a thought - there must be 49ers in the US because they are an olympic class. If you have 49ers, you might also have 29ers, the 49ers smaller cousin for the younger sailors. (29ers are an official youth class in the UK.)

Click Here for the 49er International Class Association

Laser 5000s are not being made any more, people have bought the RS 800 instead and PSE are no longer selling new boats. However, 4000s are proving very popular with a strong racing circuit in the UK.

I think you should buy a 4000. I have one and it is so fun. But if you are not just going for a laser you should get a 49er. I tried it once. It is harder but alot faster.

lol. As a Vanguard dealer it says "inquire for price" and "special order" on its dealer info. We are talking about $10,000 U.S. for a good racing boat.

there's alot of kit and ropes on those boats.
Plus extra gear like trapeze harnesses etc.
Imagine paying for a carbon tiller three times as long as a laser extension...

5000s are almost obsolete in the UK because they are so heavy. (GRP, non-carbon hull and non-carbon rig.) Compared to other double trapeze assymetrics on the market, they are slow. A 5000 can be bought second hand for less than a 5 year old Laser I!

Back