Laser 2 rigging questions

MagicalLobster

This seems like the best section for this class, Sorry if it isnt.

Continuing on, I started sailing a bit late to be involved in the days of the L2 fleet and had no actual training on how to rig them. So now that I own one of these artifacts from '05(?) and want to get it race spec. Problem is I have no rigging guide and by the looks of things, the previous owner didnt set up the deck correctly. Was hoping someone here who raced these things could help?

First off this fairlead at the bow.
2014-07-26%2017.40.51.jpg

No guides I've seen mention it which leads me to believe it is the one that is supposed to be near the foot of the mast. Which may explain why the block for the trapeze bungie is backwards.

Second the eye for the spinpole seems bent, it supposed to be this way?
2014-07-26%2017.42.42.jpg

The runners for the jibsheet cleats seem sideways, just doesnt make sense this way
2014-07-26%2017.40.34.jpg

These cleats supposed to be here?
2014-07-26%2017.43.47.jpg

How does this uphaul downhaul even?
2014-07-26%2017.41.11.jpg

The spinpole uses the block and line system to attach to the boom if that helps

Other than that,

-What is traveler theory for these boats? laser tight or 420 bridle?
-Diamond wire tension

The jib and main cunnno aren't rigged right now but I have those down. Missing a line bag, any idea who might still make those?

1st pic: the jib cunningham is permanent. The small white line on the tack of the jib is the Cunningham. You should put the job shackle onto the bow eye as the eye the shackle is currently attached to is for a cow catcher to prevent a spinnaker sheet keelhaul. The jib then becomes the forestay and the forestay should be slack.
2nd pic: It happens
3rd pic: The new jib fairleads move fore and aft to open and close the jib-main slot, just less than it did before. The old runners did more than was really necessary.
4th pic: the cleat is fore the spinnaker sheet. The cleat directly in front of the shroud is for the spinnaker guy. Rhyme: every TACKy GUY LUFFS his POLE. These words are on the same side usually starboard, but changes when you gybe. Rhyme: holy SHEET! I have no CLEW where the LEECH is. Usually port side, switches when you gybe.
5th pic: The shackle attached to the boom can suffice. But if you use a line about 4' works. Tie a bowline around the boom eye closest to the mast, where the shackle currently is located. Put the other end of the line through the bottom tack eye in the sail. If you are looking towards the bow, put the line through the right side of the sail. The line then goes through the left side of the boom eye where the bowline is, then up to the top tack eye in the sail, again through from right to left to prevent overlap of the line. It then goes straight down through the black cleat with the blue writing. Tie an 8 knot or another large knot in the end to make it easy to grab.

Should be all set

TL2

Back