Laser 2 Age?

TIMO

How Do I Find The Year Of Manufacture Of My Laser 2???
Isthere A Suffix In The Serial Number??

pretty much the same way as on every boat manufactured since 1978. There shold be a bunch of numbers and letters imbedded in the transome. The last four digits will read something like M78C. The 78 in this case would be the year of manufacture. Below is a serial number thing about lasers. It is pretty much true for Laser twos as well.

THE SERIAL NUMBER:

Check the transom of the boat for the serial number, it'll look something like this! PFS 800000779

The first three characters denote the builder as follows. This is from memory but it's fairly accurate:

PFS - Performance Sailcraft in Montreal. Boats built from about 1971-82

ZFS - Performance Sailcraft in Montreal after they went bankrupt and refinanced. Boats built from about 1982-85.

ZID - Performance Sailcraft in Hawkesbury, Ontario, after they went bankrupt and refinanced again. Boats built from about 1985-89.

PSB - Pearson Small Boats, Portsmouth, Rhode Island, after another bankruptcy by Performance Sailcraft. Boats built from about 1989-91.

SLI - Sunfish Laser Inc., Portsmouth, Rhode Island, after Pearson Yachts and Pearson Small Boats declared bankruptcy. Boats built from about June 1991 - March 1997.

OQT - Vanguard Sailboats Inc., Portsmouth, Rhode Island took over building Lasers and Sunfish from Sunfish Laser.

The next five characters are the sail number, in this case 80000, which was my first Laser. If the first character is a letter than the sail number is over 100,000. A=10, B=11, C=12, etc. followed by the next four numbers.

The last four characters denote the month and year the boat was built.

also. I don't know how long this page will remain accessible so visit it soon and copy and paste it to your own computer>>>

http://cerebus.winsite.com/laser/laser/tipson2s.html

Back