Laser #1172

TekExpert

I have a "classic" Laser, #1172, which we have outgrown as a family. Is there any collectors' value to it? It is in good condition, original sail in very good condition -- no modifications other than an approved sail window. Any thoughts on its value?

Hi
My opinion is: Yes. Such old Lasers have an imaginary worth. The only problem is: to find that people, who are interested in such old boats.
I guess, there are Laserites outside somewhere on this globe, that pay a lot of money for Lasers of the 1st year of production or so - and some of them never would give such a Laser away.
But, the one that sold his/her Laser "#190" at ebay, a couple of weeks ago, not had luck to find the right one, I think. He/she (the related archive-side at ebay tells it) only got 535 US$, which, I think, is by far to few.
Others, perhaps very competitive sailors without any sense for "history-boats" say: " that 535 US$ is 300 US$ to much etc. etc. etc. ...". But, I would ask such Laserites: "Why then the inventor of the Laser, Bruce Kirby, did gave his Laser-prototype to a museeum for watersports-history somewhere at the US-Eastcoast...? ;)

Ciao
LooserLu

TekExpert said:
I have a "classic" Laser, #1172, which we have outgrown as a family. Is there any collectors' value to it? It is in good condition, original sail in very good condition -- no modifications other than an approved sail window. Any thoughts on its value?

Well, I've heard that any Laser with a usable hull and all the parts should not go for under $1000, because if you sell the parts individually, you can get that much on eBay.

i'd say it depends on what group you open the sale to, a club, it'll be worth a few hundred dollars becaue some guy will buy it to beat it around at his cottage. if you find a collector you could get much more for it, also probably depends on how long you can keep it before you sell it, i'd guess the longer you look, the higher an offer you'll find

Back