Just Published: The Sunfish Owner's Manual by Kent Lewis

Discussion in 'Sunfish For Sale' started by signal charlie, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. signal charlie

signal charlie Active Member Staff Member

Just in time for the Holidays, I wrote and published The Sunfish Owner's Manual, 140 pages of info with 230 color photographs pulled together from years of Sunfish sailing and restorations. I picked Alan Glos' brain along the way so he gets Contributing Author credit, and a First Edition copy, thanks Alan!

Get your copy today at Createspace: https://www.createspace.com/4286071?ref=1147694&utm_id=6026

There is an extensive chapter on Restoration, plus History, plus chapters on how to Buy, Rig, Sail, Maintain, Store, Transport and Sell the World's most popular boat, and a Resources chapter.

The funnest chapter to write was the Illustrated Glossary, all the nautical and Sunfish terms you need to know, with a little bit of humor thrown in :)

Enjoy, and thanks for reading!

FairWinds,
    Kent

https://www.createspace.com/4286071?ref=1147694&utm_id=6026

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  2. signal charlie

Createspace is owned by Amazon, so I guess they discount it and take it out of their profit as well as mine actually I'm doing math right now and it all comes out of my cut :) But the benefit to me is their massive web presence.

I like that the Manuals are printed in SC or CA and drop shipped, mine came in 5 days.

Another benefit of buying on Amazon is that if you want a Kindle copy, they have a program called Match Book where a Kindle copy is only an additional $2.99. The pics in the print version are very nice, the pics in Kindle are awesome, but the Kindle format needs tweaking because of their conversion software, I'll fix that next week and republish the ebook version.

Happy Holidays!
    Kent

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  3. wardie

wardie Member

Kent just orderd and had them ship book to my house from Barnes & noble!

4. signal charlie

Hi Wardie, that's great, I think you'll like it, and they ship pretty quick . I got copies yesterday for Alan and Howie, they answered a lot of questions along the way and sent me parts and clamps, lots of clamps :)

Too excited to sleep, waiting for kids to wake up, so now I have quiet time to reformat a version for kindle.

Happy Holidays
    Kent and Audrey

5. tag

tag my2fish

Kent, just ordered a copy. Looking forward to reading it!

Cheers,
    tag (my2fish)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alan S. Glos

Alan S. Glos Active Member

Kent,

I just received your Sunfish Owner's Manual and read it cover to cover in one sitting. It is a "must have" for anybody who owns a Sunfish (especially an older one), wants to buy a used boat or plans to make repairs to an existing Sunfish. The photos alone are worth the price of admission, but the text is also interesting, witty and easy to digest. Well done! The late Wayne
    Carney must be smiling.

Alan Glos
    Cazenovia, NY

• Like Like x 1
  7. signal charlie

Hi Alan
    You gave some great advice, incorporated into the manual, I especially liked ( and used) your "beach banger" definition. The Skipper was disappointed that she was only in 45 of the 240 photos :)

Wayne got a shout out in the Foam Block section, he collected a lot of great info that has helped many, and it is an honor to be entrusted with the Yahoo Group.

For an encore, a Manual on building a wooden Sunfish maybe?

Happy 2014!!
    Kent and Audrey

PS: We are building a race committee boat for the fleet, a Penobscot 14!

Attached Files:

8. signal charlie

9. signal charlie

90 manuals shipped, Amazon currently has the priced at $29.34!

The Sunfish Owner's Manual

Now shipping the Second Edition, we added a section on boatyard safety, pictures of Merci and a few more parts resources (Dinghy Shop and Sunfish Direct).

Hope y'all have a great Summer!

Kent and Audrey

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  10. Ingeo

Ingeo New Member

Looking forward to getting my hands on this book once it arrives in the mail!

Cheers,
    Adam.

• Like Like x 1
  11. signal charlie

12. signal charlie

Sold 100 copies!

• Like Like x 1
  13. signal charlie

14. Ingeo

Ingeo New Member

My copy arrived last Friday ^_-

• Like Like x 1
  15. signal charlie

Hope you liked it, we had a blast putting it together. We are working on Owner's Manuals for the Drascombe Lugger, Penobscot 14 and Capri 18 now, and have long range plans for a Wooden Sunfish Builder's Guide.

k

16. upnorthduck

upnorthduck New Member

Just arrived in the mail from Amazon. Looks great! Now to put it to use on fishes #5 & #6 (all my children and the Dad have to sail, right ;)) acquired on Craigslist for...$300. Bargain of the year. :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. signal charlie

Great! Congrats on the "new" boats, got any pictures to share?

Kent and Audrey

18. signal charlie

175 copies out the door, woot!

Kent and Audrey

19. Stache

Stache Member

Congratulations on your effort and getting it published.
    I have a couple good friends that have published books and I know it is a long, involved and trying process.
    I have a copy I purchased off eBay for $32 including postage.
    Let me preface this by saying I acquired a 1971 or '72 AMF Alcort Sunfish with a storage compartment aft of cockpit and a Gen 1 rudder mount. There is no plate on the deck or hull number on the stern. I was looking for information to date my boat and what to do with it.
    Not to be mean, but in the light of constructive criticism, the book was nowhere near what I had hoped for in terms of basic information for a new Sunfish owner.
    The History section could have been much more expanded including the differences between years and manufacturers and generations of rudders, dagger boards, and sails.
    Many photos were too distant to see exactly what I wanted to see (rudder, dagger board, sail rigging).
    Much of it was more geared to deeper restoration than a "normal" owner would ever attempt.
    Organization was somewhat haphazard jumping from one topic to another and back.
    Again, my expectation was for an Owner's Manual like you get with a new car, this read more like your diary (which was interesting and informative) perhaps a different title would have set a different expectation.
    FWIW I also purchased The Sunfish Bible and found much of what I was looking for there but also found it too geared toward racing for someone, like myself, who acquired a discarded Sunfish and was looking for information on how to get it back in use.

20. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

To belabor the obvious, this Forum has a wealth of info, but one has to look for it; the Search function (upper right) does work.
    As far as a timeline is concerned, a really nice one can be found in the Sunfish Knowledge Base:
    http://sailingforums.com/resources/sunfish-history.8/
    and open the pdf (thanks Wayne!)

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.