Just bought a Sunfish. (lots of pics.)

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by chau8238, Apr 14, 2010.

1. chau8238

chau8238 67 Sunfish

Thank you for the information, now I was wondering, where would the serial for my boat be at? Was it located in the same area, meaning it is no longer there?

2. Wayne

Wayne Member Emeritus

For your generation Sunfish, it was on a metal tag fastened to the deck about here . . .

Attached Files:

3. chau8238

chau8238 67 Sunfish

Yea, I think that plate is gone. I'll check it tonight, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing there.

4. chau8238

chau8238 67 Sunfish

I was just thinking, are all of the paints I'd use on my boat roll on application? Because I have a spray gun, and would be interested in using it if possible. So do they make marine paints that can be sprayed with the gun? The gun i have is a cheap one, and I know you have to thin the paint a bit to use it.

5. Wayne

Wayne Member Emeritus

Here’s what Interlux says for their Brightsides paint (one frequently chosen for painting Sunfish)
    Other brands have similar, but sometimes slightly different requirements. It’s best to follow the specific instructions for the brand paint you select.

[ from the Interlux Brightsides Data Sheet ]

6. chau8238

chau8238 67 Sunfish

Well I took it out twice this weekend, looks like I may need a new bailer plug, mine seems to seep around it. But otherwise, it works and I didn't have any problems, both sails work fine and the boat didn't take on too much water. So this weekend was a success, now I just need to buy some more pulleys and set up a rigging system thats better to use.

7. beldar boathead

beldar boathead Well-Known Member

Regarding painting stripes on the deck - getting free paint from a boat shop is best. But I have had success with painting stripes on after a repair with hardware store spray paints, which are probably $5 per can. I used an enamel, but have heard Krylon will work too. To get a good bond with the deck, get the very deck clean, then swab it with acetone, then put on masking tape, then spray. I have had my boom drag across my painted stripes many times with no problem. Just be sure the paint is designed for indoor-outdoor use.

BB

8. chau8238

chau8238 67 Sunfish

Hopefully this weekend I will get around to installing the port hole and new cleat I just bought. I will also check the inside while I'm at it and see if everything it good or not.

9. chau8238

chau8238 67 Sunfish

Well, this weekend has been a very expensive weekend for me. I bought Paint! I bought a quart of "West Marine" primer for $30. West Marine is the store I went to. And then I bought a quart of Red Interlux Brightside and a quart of White Interlux Brightside, each quart was $30. I plan on painting the top red and the bottom white for now. I also ended buying a gallon of "west marine" resin for $30 and a package of fiberglass cloth. So $140 later I have resin and paint.

This week I plan on adding at least one port hole, to check the inside. Then I will dry the hull out and start sanding the bottom.

Would it be okay to resin the entire bottom? Or I may use a lot of resin to make the bottom smooth. As you can see in the pics, it's been patched a bit and I'd like to make it smooth at least. I'm not too worried about weight since I'm recreational only.

Then I plan on using a roller and applying primer and then the paint to the bottom. Do the same thing on the top. I may even remove the trim and resin the holes and then rerivet the trim on. I need to do this to the inside trim since it's starting to come off already.

BTW: I bought a gallon of resin because it was only $10 more than a quart and I figured I'd be able to use it somehow.

Also, if anyone has links to a really inexpensive sail, I'm checking out options right now. It doesn't need to be class legal.

Thanks for the help guys, I really love this forum. I spend way too much time on here and my s10forum.

10. chau8238

chau8238 67 Sunfish

Well, here is my plan of action as of now.

1. I'm going to remove the trim, both on the cockpit and on the outer lip of the boat.
    2. Sand down the entire top and bottom.
    3. Cut holes for port holes and do mock up.
    4. Resin the boat, fix small holes and smooth bottom and top. Also add resin around the mast tube.
    5. Primer the boat.
    6. Paint the top of the boat red and the bottom white.
    7. Reinstall the trim.
    8. Install new cleat, pulley, port holes etc.....
    9. Hopefully sail it.

I've got a lot of work ahead of me, so does anyone know if I'll be okay with putting a thing layer of resin on the bottom, the complete thing? I want to give the hull a little extra protection, which is why I ask. Thanks.

11. Wayne

Wayne Member Emeritus

Just painting on a coat of resin is not recommended. Without reinforcement and only an adhesive bond to the underlying ... what, gelcoat, bare structural fiberglass ... it will crack away in a short time.

I think you would be more successful laying down an epoxy paint under coat.

[​IMG]

12. chau8238

chau8238 67 Sunfish

Interesting, well, for now I'll just sand and see how everything looks, I did buy fiberglass cloth. I mainly want to smooth the areas that have been patched so the bottom flows more evenly.