Just an idea

water rat

Has any one ever put together a ..best places to sail ..eat and sleep when you come to .(Name Your State City..etc.).Having been in the kayak touring business I often heard people say words to the effect.."I'd like to paddle there but I don't know much about it.". I think this could translate to sunfish sailors. Even though I live in Florida and can sail year around there are many other places I would like to try but can't find any information about things like..best lakes..good campgrounds, places to eat and the list is endless. Bottom line: Time to brag about your area...or is there a site where you have already done it.Want to drag the fish to Florida. I can help with info on the mid west coast. and...the keys..the surf crashes on the east coast..but in mid state there are tons of lake I known nothing about.... Like the header says...just an idea.

I have a friend with a house and an acre of shaded space on Big Pine Key, Florida.

Rent-- for however long--would be expected in advance. A day or a season, RV or tent--surrounded by a 5-foot fence to keep pesky BPK deer from grabbing the celery from your grocery bag.

The "back country" is quiet, or you could launch from a nearby ramp to discover a nearby stretch of relatively quiet ocean. One of the world's 10-best beaches will rent you a kayak.

I have a friend with a house and an acre of shaded space on Big Pine Key, Florida.

Rent-- for however long--would be expected in advance. A day or a season, RV or tent--surrounded by a 5-foot fence to keep pesky BPK deer from grabbing the celery from your grocery bag.

The "back country" is quiet, or you could launch from a nearby ramp to discover a nearby stretch of relatively quiet ocean. One of the world's 10-best beaches will rent you a kayak.
Many Thanks oddly enough
Big Pine is my second home. For those with a fish..back country has alot of shallow water . The wind can really kick during the winter months. The best campground in my estimation is Big Pine Hunting and Fishing Lodge About $48 plus tax for a tent and around $63 plus tax for an RV. Find out what the taxes are prior to going. If the wind will allow launch from the tent portion ..go out about 30 yards and hang a right to the ocean . Follow the coast down to Big Munson. You will be inside the reef which should knock down the seas. There are patch reefs to snorkle and dive off Big Munson which is where PT 109 was shot...It is now owned by the Boy Scouts but usualy vacant during the week. Highway put-ins are far and few between. Bill Keough a long time keys guide is author of the Florida Keys Paddling Guide and has a place just before going over the bridge to No Name Key. He can clue you in on other good put ins . So can the campground people. Kayaking The Keys is another good guide with directions to put ins that might work. Two important things NEVER GO TO THE KEYS WITHOUT A RESERVATION and IF YOU WILL NEED IT TAKE IT WITH YOU. P.S The No Name Pub on Big Pine is where the drug dealers hung out in the 80's and papered the walls and ceiling with dollar bills. Vored year after year as having the best pizza .

Just re-read your msg. With ever increaseing rates that sounds like another possibility for Sun fishers..Tell us more. Power for RV? toilet facilities? If he has those he could very well attract those who think campground rates are to high. No license..no sweat..they just good old friends of his.

Kentucky Lake is a really great place for boating. It's almost too big for a Sunfish is some way, in that you'll not cover much of it in the fish, but maybe a favorite cove or two, if just day sailing for the afternoon. PLENTY of camping and cottages or whatever. Inexpensive as well, staring at about $18 for camping right on the lake, typically with boat ramps very near or launch-able shore lines for board boats. Lake front cottages at about $100 to start...but really great views and such. Season is mid-March thru mid November....and extended if you sail with a wetsuit, etc. for board sailing. Plenty to do in the area and near interstates. Lake is about 3 miles by 40 miles long, with coves typically 2-3 miles long as well with unlimited cove fingers. It's a great place for much larger boats and anchoring, but is a weekend lake and empty during the week. Holiday weekends are busy and many, many marinas as well. 3 foot water visability and typically very good, constant sailing winds (shifty near cove entrances, etc), with July and August sometimes being the "hot" swimming months instead. Kentucky Lake is part of the "inland waterway" as it is the Tennessee River flowing north into the Ohio. Following the Tennessee up river thru the various TVA locks, you can eventually make it to Mobile Bay....about 600 miles. Popular trip for many, many boaters, coming from Chicago, etc... going to Florida...or up and around the Florida keys.
Highly recommended.

Kentucky Lake is a really great place for boating. It's almost too big for a Sunfish is some way, in that you'll not cover much of it in the fish, but maybe a favorite cove or two, if just day sailing for the afternoon. PLENTY of camping and cottages or whatever. Inexpensive as well, staring at about $18 for camping right on the lake, typically with boat ramps very near or launch-able shore lines for board boats. Lake front cottages at about $100 to start...but really great views and such. Season is mid-March thru mid November....and extended if you sail with a wetsuit, etc. for board sailing. Plenty to do in the area and near interstates. Lake is about 3 miles by 40 miles long, with coves typically 2-3 miles long as well with unlimited cove fingers. It's a great place for much larger boats and anchoring, but is a weekend lake and empty during the week. Holiday weekends are busy and many, many marinas as well. 3 foot water visability and typically very good, constant sailing winds (shifty near cove entrances, etc), with July and August sometimes being the "hot" swimming months instead. Kentucky Lake is part of the "inland waterway" as it is the Tennessee River flowing north into the Ohio. Following the Tennessee up river thru the various TVA locks, you can eventually make it to Mobile Bay....about 600 miles. Popular trip for many, many boaters, coming from Chicago, etc... going to Florida...or up and around the Florida keys.
Highly recommended.
Great report and I for one plan to sail it in 2017

A Kentucky Lake waterfront cottage rental @ $100 doesn't sound too bad. If you don't arrive on motorcycles, Seniors would be desirable renters, so check with the landlord to see if you can get a cheaper rental, and split it with the other(s) in your group.

(Just an other idea)... :cool:

Is it a place others might be interested in? If so where. What are the good things.

Jenkins Sound, NJ

- at high tide you can still stand in most places if you tip over, bottom is solid so the mast doesn't get stuck

- wind almost always blowing

- depending on wind conditions there are plenty of channels to do races or just cruise around different waterways

I have an app on my phone that tracks my sailing, I'll try to load it on here so others can see.

1472329924-1472335833.jpg

raceQs

A Kentucky Lake waterfront cottage rental @ $100 doesn't sound too bad. If you don't arrive on motorcycles, Seniors would be desirable renters, so check with the landlord to see if you can get a cheaper rental, and split it with the other(s) in your group.

(Just an other idea)... :cool:
Good idea but when I'm draging a fish I usualy use a tent.

Plenty of camping for sure. Many are the "loop" camping, but there's plenty of backwoods stuff too... or you can sail to your campsite... if you're fish is carrying a modest amount.

Jenkins Sound, NJ

- at high tide you can still stand in most places if you tip over, bottom is solid so the mast doesn't get stuck

- wind almost always blowing

- depending on wind conditions there are plenty of channels to do races or just cruise around different waterways

I have an app on my phone that tracks my sailing, I'll try to load it on here so others can see.

1472329924-1472335833.jpg

raceQs

I replied several weeks ago but must have hit the wrong button. I am familer with the Cape May area having done summer stock there in the 50's.Great place..Diamonds in the sand at the point and Mario Lanza serving pizza at his aunt and uncles place. Hope it hasn't turned into another Wildwood. A must on my summer trip list. Pls post ur photos.

I replied several weeks ago but must have hit the wrong button. I am familer with the Cape May area having done summer stock there in the 50's.Great place..Diamonds in the sand at the point and Mario Lanza serving pizza at his aunt and uncles place. Hope it hasn't turned into another Wildwood. A must on my summer trip list. Pls post ur photos.

BIL also launches his cat from 126th street stone harbor. I prefer the sunfish to the cat since the sunfish can actually turn and tack, the cat is much more limited to wind direction and back/forth sailing.

Back