Jib height/position question

sh2053

Hello,
I have a roller furling forestay and a non-roller jib. I can move the jib up and down on the forestay about 12". Looking at the racing photos on the home page of this site, the jib is positioned down, almost touching the foredeck. Seems to me this position gives little overlap with the main. Would not raising the jib create a larger "window" between the main and jib? I did notice that positioning the jib as high as it will go causes jib/spreader interference. Must be a reason why the racers keep the jib "down".
Any thoughts?

Steve

By having the foot of the jib incontact or bushing the foredeck ,the wind moving accross the two (jib, foredeck) works more efficiently to move the boat forward. If gapped, the wind is allowed to spill off the deck and is not used to move the boat forward.

Raising the sail off the deck won't help the boat upwind , you will be slower and lower in point. The sail makers have designed the main and jib to work together so changing the slot over lap would be counter productive. Fastest is main full up and jib brushing the deck. Dial in maximum forestay length, correct mast rake, traveller height and jib halyard. Balanced "neutral" helm in 5 knots of wind should = fast and high upwind.

Back