Jib halyard

Discussion in 'Capri/Catalina 14 Talk' started by Hope_to_Sail, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Hope_to_Sail

Hope_to_Sail New Member

Im replacing every wire and rope on my boat. After looking at the handbook i came to realize i dont have the jib block. So my question is do i actually need this block inorder to pull jib up or just make long enough rope?

2. Al W

Al W Member

Can I assume that "jib Block" is a pulley on the front of the mast to run the jib halyard through? If you have a hank on jib, you need one. Roller furler does not have one.

3. Hope_to_Sail

Hope_to_Sail New Member

20170701_202302.jpg I have no furing jib. I have the main pulley up by the forestay but when i looked at the handbook the jib has a pennant measurement and then halyard block measurement. Like im sure i could just pull the jib up and cleat it off but whats the point of the bottom pulley

4. Al W

Al W Member

Is this the pulley you are talking about? If so, that is the down haul for the boom (boom vang) For normal sailing around the lake, I never rig a "boom vang
    "

Attached Files:

5. Al W

Al W Member

My jib is rigged as shown. Yes you can raise with the halyard and cleat it off, no pulley near the mast step. I looked at the specs and do see what you are talking about. Not needed.

Attached Files:

6. Hope_to_Sail

Hope_to_Sail New Member

On the port side the jib pennant

Attached Files:

7. Al W

Al W Member

That is what I found also. Big question is why? Without a block and tackle you can tension the jib halyard very easily. I have not seen any blocks on other 14.2 that I have seen. Maybe someone who races can chime in and see if necessary. I lake sail and don't need one.

Attached Files:

8. Hope_to_Sail

Hope_to_Sail New Member

Just making sure that i didnt really need it

9. woodbark

woodbark Member

Thanks for bringing this up,
    I took mine out several years ago and kept it in the bag .... I was completely new to sailing back then and did not understand the importance of proper "luff tension" ..... now I do and will be putting it back into the equation.

Here's my reason: Since the 14.2 does not have a "backstay" it is up to the "shrouds" to maintain tension on the "forestay", which is next to impossible! ..... Obviously, the experts realized this and thus, the tensionable "jib luff-rope" .... and since the Jib relies completely on the "luff rope" for tension, the Halyard becomes the key, to properly setting the luff tension ...... I now believe, the extra purchase via this "block" should make the task easier and more accurate.

Just my 2 cents worth :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hope_to_Sail

Hope_to_Sail New Member

Sounds good to me! Thank you

• Like Like x 1