ISCA Website...

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by foggy_notion, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Gail

Gail 24186

This forum is open for people to post results. They simply don't. The newsletter editor BEGS for stories. People don't send them. Even major regatta hosts are often difficult to pry stories from. When I attend, I write 'em up. I can't make everything ...

2. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

So how come the Laser class are able to a better job with their newsletter and their websites (though they have plenty of room for improvement in both respects)? What can we learn from them?

3. ClintonEdwards

ClintonEdwards New Member

Website

Instead of bashing the website, as old as it is, please make simple suggestions (1 sentence, 20 words) in what YOU want to see in the new website. Are YOU willing to maintain, support, and contribute to the website?

1. Look and feel...
    2. Content
    3. Private/Public sections
    4. Electronic Version of Windward Leg
    5. Anything else?

Clinton Edwards

4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

Re: Website

I want a website that is attractive, relevant, current, stylish, exciting, informative, educational, visual, dynamic, promotional, newsy, authoritative and responsive. (I think that's 20 words.)

Yes, I am willing to support and maintain it - through what I pay the class to be a member. I cannot think of a better purpose to spend my dues on than for a 21st century kick-ass website. If we can't find a savvy kid to do the job for nothing, then pay one. If we can't afford it within our current budget then scrap the Windward Leg and use the money from that. With a good website we wouldn't need a dead tree newsletter. And if it's set up so members can contribute notices of regattas, news articles, regattas reports, tips, advice etc. then yes I will contribute.

5. Esteroali

Esteroali Member

I agree, scrap the Windward Leg, get with the 21st century, save some trees, and disseminate information more quickly. Damien

6. mike4947

mike4947 Member

I hate to say it but there's more money in Laser folks than Fish folks. Not to mention that being an Olympic class draws a lot of attention/money.

7. 58984 EW

58984 EW Member

Maybe we should have a volunteer coordinator? I keep seeing people offer to volunteer on here but then nothing comes of it. Is that the president's job? Class office?

8. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

It costs $35 a year to join the USSCA or $40 a year to join the NA Laser Class. Does $5 a year make all the difference?

9. scap114

scap114 Member

I guess it would depend on how many $5 we are talking about. Does anyone have an figure on the membership numbers in each class?

10. mike4947

mike4947 Member

Nope, but there are quite a few large "contributions" to the laser organization. Like I said being an "Olympic" class draws money like flies to honey.
    US sailing and other national organizations, as well as businesses do sponser work for individual laser class sailers at the Olympic level. This tends to put "pressure" on the class organization as well as moneys coming in to the class to "protect" the sponser investments.
    You only have to look at NASCAR to see the effect of sponsers on a sport. The "locked in 35 drivers" was NASCAR's response to team/sponser demands that their "investment" got more gaurnateed coverage.
    For a entity as small as a sailing class the budget for a 10 second TV commercial could fund the class for years. Providing "stipends" for volunteers, etc.
    Just a couple of "big spenders" giving what to them is "pocket change" would create the difference between what you see in Fish and Laser class organiztions.

11. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

Pictures; we really need pix; preferably rotating, so we don't always get to look at the same one.

One font, and get rid of the blue background

Make Windward Leg available on the web, but not the very last issue (there should be some incentive to become a Class member and I don't want to spend all my time at the computer)

As others have mentioned, the North American Laser Class site has much to recommend (even though there have been complaints about that one as well)

Thanks for all the good work in the past, but now is the time to upgrade the site to one Sunfishers can be proud of.

12. oompanyc

oompanyc Member

Clinton:

When you going to give me a buzz about the website? Maybe we can discuss it at the midwinters...

13. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

The last published accounts of the North American Laser Class show that they have 3 major sources of income...
    a) membership dues - well over half the total income
    b) sales of ads in their newsletter and on their website
    c) payments from Vanguard. (Does the Sunfish class get any money from Vanguard?)

No sign of any mystery sponsors.

14. 58984 EW

58984 EW Member

Yes! If Brian is willing to take this on, I'd volunteer my services in the area of usablity, editorial skills and whatever is needed. Someone needs to be in charge, however, otherwise it's a bunch of people throwing ideas around and nothing to catch them.

Brian, just say the word and I'll do what's needed.

Eric Woodman

15. Bradley

Bradley Administrator Staff Member

Of course, you can count me in to provide whatever assistance is necessary.