Is XD worth the money? **Poll**

Is the full XD rig really worth the money?

• I have XD and it is not worth money

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Kind of depends, I think the vang defently is as it makes things MUCH easier. The outhaul and cunningham is less important though, sure, it's easier with the new systems but it's not needed if you don't have the money to spare.

Slight aside but, I'm buying a Laser this winter. Ages ago when I had a Laser (before all this XD type stuff was allowed) it was really quick to rig - arrive at the club and out in the water in no time. Does the XD stuff take longer to rig (a little longer to much longer or not much difference) ?

Reason I'm thinking now is that it must be cheaper to buy the boat XD'd rather than retro later (and thus have to replace stuff you have already paid for).

Ian​

Deimos said:
Does the XD stuff take longer to rig (a little longer to much longer or not much difference) ?​

Ian

It does take longer to rig. I'm never very speedy at anything I do :( and it takes me a half hour longer than the people throwing an old rig together. Of course, I'm talking to friends and finding my gear from the pile in its bin, too.

Think XD is a definate improvement over the old setup and have upgraded my old 120k with all the Harken goodies, but still think they have missed an opportunity to make it even more user friendly, IMHO only have to look at a Supernova to see where the controls should really be - led to both sides, close to hand.

If I was doing it all again I'd just buy the vang and deck cleats, the rest can be made up from your own line and a few blocks.

nutzuns said:
Think XD is a definate improvement over the old setup and have upgraded my old 120k with all the Harken goodies, but still think they have missed an opportunity to make it even more user friendly, IMHO only have to look at a Supernova to see where the controls should really be - led to both sides, close to hand.

If I was doing it all again I'd just buy the vang and deck cleats, the rest can be made up from your own line and a few blocks.

Is it possible to make up your own custom XD setup?:cool:

Looks like you have an answer.
Adde two cents: The XD's a one time expenditure. :)
My curiosity is anthropological. Why do folks prefer the XD? Other than the way it works in comparison to the ol' schoo' rigging, why do folks prefer it? Could it be, also, a difference between shiny/modern/high-tech compared to ropey/traditional/low-tech? Do new sailors in schools (learning programs) fare differently if they learn to rig both old and new rigs as opposed to just one or the other? What would the Gouv say?

odinsvitskjaldr said:
Why do folks prefer the XD?

I haven't tried the old school stuff, but it's hard enough to put on the vang with the new. . . A friend has the old stuff and never adjusts her outhaul either because it's such a pain. I always catch up with her downwind.

nutzuns said:

Having doublecomands on the laser controles seems kind of dumb to me as it's quite easy to reach them as it is and with doublecomands you have the problem with all of the line ending up on one side. Much more comfortable not to have it.

Back