Is this old Sunfish worth it?

ChadLarson

I found a sunfish... actually I think its a minifish. (man claims its only 10 ft long)
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/5034426853.html
And I can get it for a great price. The sail is ripped. The rudder and daggerboard are in pretty rough shape. IT has the old style rudder connection I think. (will it be hard to convert it?)
I dont know the condition of the hull yet.
Is it worth it? What should I look out for? How would you look at it when you buy it?
Thanks!

If it weighs more than 150 lbs I'd pass. You can probably refinish the rudder and board, but you will need to spend $125 or so on an aftermarket sail. That boat is ancient, but certainly sailable if not waterlogged.

The pictures aren't clear enough to be absolutely positive but it looks like the halyard block is missing. Even if the hull is the correct weight with no leaks you'd need to put in an inspection port to fix that.

This looks like a boat for someone who takes pleasure in restoring antiques. It does look like a fairly early fiberglass hull: no stripes on the foredeck. The serial number plate might still be on it. The pictures hint at it behind the splash guard.

Enlarging the three views, it appears the halyard block is in place. (And leaning towards the mast step).

Nice shiny deck finish, except there's a garden hose keeping everything wet! :rolleyes:

'Wonder if the deck was originally red? Older red finishes don't hold up well, lose their shine, and change to other shades.

I found a sunfish... actually I think its a minifish. (man claims its only 10 ft long)
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/5034426853.html
And I can get it for a great price. The sail is ripped. The rudder and daggerboard are in pretty rough shape. IT has the old style rudder connection I think. (will it be hard to convert it?)
I dont know the condition of the hull yet.
Is it worth it? What should I look out for? How would you look at it when you buy it?
Thanks!

If it has the mast and spars and does not weigh over 150ish, it is worth it because you live out on the West Coast, they get scarce out there. Look at the hull, check the mast step and daggerboard trunk for big holes. You should be able to lift at least one end. Look at the spars and mast for straightness and corrosion. Ask the seller to show you how the rudder connects.

It is not hard to convert the rudder, but will cost 200-500 dollars for used-new parts. You can get a nice aftermarket sail fo 150-200, or good used Sunfish sail for under 200.

A Sunfish is almost 14 feet, so you'll need a trailer to haul it.

Good luck
Kent

Back