is this a laser?

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by joecffv, May 27, 2017.

1. joecffv

joecffv New Member

just bought this buy on identification no title etc. guy said it might be about 20 + years old ????

I'd like to know what is is so i can figure out what to check on it and how to rig it etc. it has a main sail and a jib . i do not now anything about sailing ....... yet :)

darn i have to figure out how to add the pictures lol

Thanks

2. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

A Laser doesn't have a jib.

Could be a Laser 2, or some other sloop-rigged boat built by a Laser builder.

Waiting for the pictures.

3. joecffv

joecffv New Member

IMG_1743.JPG IMG_1744.JPG IMG_1745.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2017
  4. joecffv

joecffv New Member

still trying to figure out the pictures i think it's about 12ft. My concern, the guy told me it was a monohull ( all sealed ) but do i need to worry about rotten stringers, rotten transom , water logged foam, etc.

5. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

It's nothing that was ever built by a Laser manufacturer. (Maybe this should be moved to the general forum.)

It's at least 20 years old, probably much more. Germans came up with boats like this in the 1970s. (As did everyone else, but that was my first impression anyway.)

Let's roll out the mainsail next. Insignia, numbers?

And what do the plates/stickers on the transom and forward bulkhead say?

6. AlanD

AlanD Former ISAF Laser Measurer

It looks like a Spiral, which was designed in New Zealand and still raced in Australia. By the late 70's, there were dozens of Laser rip of classes, designed and built by people wanting to cash in on the Laser success. None have been really successful beyond isolated pockets.

7. Leslie of Saratoga

Leslie of Saratoga New Member

Is it a SKY lark?
    we used to sail one in the 70's ..

8. joecffv

joecffv New Member

thanks for the imput . A couple more pics IMG_1749.JPG IMG_1749.JPG IMG_1752.JPG IMG_1748.JPG tag on the stern parts i dont think the sail is orginal

9. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

This one is not a Laser ripoff, but an obviously doublehanded boat with a stayed sloop rig.
    The only "Skylark" I can find is a curious tunnel-hulled boat with a una rig. Not the one you sailed, I assume. This one does look somewhat like a Lark (without the Sky), but the cockpit is different, and the freeboard appears lower.
    The "11 72" on the transom plate is likely the building month and year. The "73" stamped on the mainsail makes then sense, too. Why wouldn't the sail be original? The patina on the cringles certainly matches the age of the hull. No other markings on the sail?

Interesting rudder head design. (Evolutionary dead ends are always interesting. Easy to see why this never became popular, though.)

All in all, it looks like quite a modern boat for its time. Have you measured it yet? Overall length and max beam would certainly help with the detective work.

Next pictures: the whole mainsail, a profile of the hull (midship at right angles to the centreline at deck level; bow profile is important), and the whole transom directly from behind.

10. AlanD

AlanD Former ISAF Laser Measurer

By "Laser ripoff", I mean the concept of lasers, off the shelf mass produced. Most of the designs that came out were single handlers, but some were multi handlers.

11. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

Ok, fine. In my definition, a "ripoff" would be something like a near-copy, necessarily featuring most key technical solutions. Anyway, the Single Manufacturer One-Design concept was already out there by 1971, thanks to Sunfish and Hobie Alter (and even Paul Elvstrøm), although the Laser was the first with a worldwide spread.

I don't think the boat in this thread is part of the Laser wave of dinghy design, but rather the European (mainly French) based/inspired doublehanded culture, which peaked a few years before the Laser did.

12. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

I think I found it!

It's a Sesame.

The Sesame is a singlehanded sloop designed by former aerospace engineer Allan J. Arnold in Lakewood, California, in 1971. Arnold designed also the Sea Spray cat, which is still raced in parts of Western Canada and the US.

Some 80 Sesames were built by 1974 by Seahorse Sailboats in Downey, CA. Obviously it was no great success. The hull looks very nice, but the rig was a weird choice for a singlehander.

Sources: sailboats '74 by Yacht Racing magazine, January 1974 issue of Motor Boating & Sailing magazine, and sailboatdata.com.

13. torrid

torrid Just sailing

That's some good detective work. Even with the name of the boat and the builder, I'm coming up with zip online.

14. joecffv

joecffv New Member

That's very kind of you and thank you for taking your time to do that, will look up the info. and i'm sure it will be helpful

15. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

You're welcome, but I have to say that there isn't much more available than what I already wrote - it's a very obscure little class from half a lifetime back.

The complete information on sailboats '74 is:

SESAME
    Allan J. Arnold 1971
    LOA: 12'0" BEAM: 4'6"
    DRAFT: 0'3"
    SAIL AREAS IN SQ. FT.: 68 + 32 = 100
    CLASS WEIGHT: 90 lbs.
    CONSTRUCTION:
    HULL: fiberglass
    SPARS: aluminum
    FLOTATION:foam
    Self bailing, stern flaps
    CREW: 1
    HIKING ASSIST: straps
    PRICE NEW: $695*
    USED PRICE: $450 - 550
    NUMBER IN U.S.: 80
    NUMBER WORLDWIDE: 80
    AREAS: 2, 4, 7, 13**
    NATIONAL ASSOCIATION:
    F. R. Arnold
    20542 Vendale Dr.
    Lakewood, CA 90713

A Californian-built Laser cost $795 at the time.
    ** This means that some boats were sold outside Southern California: the New York City area, Florida +neighbouring states, and the Lake Michigan area.

The other magazine shows a small profile drawing: MotorBoating

That's all. If you need help with rigging/tuning/boathandling, etc. you will have to rely on general dinghy sloop knowledge. Hopefully the boat doesn't have any unsolvable idiosyncrasies.