Is there a bearing buddy for older "crown nut and cotterpin" trailer bearing set?

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by Repete, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Fred P

Fred P Member

A dust cap is usually press fitted into the rim surrounding the nut. on your pix it looks like one might fit?

Fred

2. spsccw

spsccw Craig White - Simsbury CT

You might want to take a look at www.northerntool.com and go to the trailer section. Lots of parts. Might be better to replace the hubs completely.

Craig

3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

I have always found the Trailex people extremely helpful with advice on maintenance and repair of their trailers. Give them a call.

4. Repete

Repete Sunfish1909

Update.......................I took my axle and bearings to a few marine and trailer dealers in my area. I live a few miles from American Axle here in Michigan too. I had three identical descriptions that I have an antique. It dates back to the sixties and is only a single bearing and race set-up. It also was designed to be exposed. This set-up was also used as a conveyor belt fixture too. The downside to all of this is all of the recommendations were to not try to remove the outer seal. New grease could be pumped in through the fitting to push out the old, but a roadside failure could occur do to age. The outer seal part would be to hard to find again and I would have to have one custom made from a mold. Long story short...............I have a new axle, hubs, brackets, and U-bolts on order for only $85.00 from a local Father and Son dealer that custom build trailers and their axles. I will be able to get my SF to water this spring. Thanks for all of the replys.

5. Repete

Repete Sunfish1909

I spoke to "Bill" at Trailex Trailers and then sent him the photos as well as one actual leaf spring bushing to get a match for replacement. Bill was very helpful and very appreciative of the photos of my trailer as well as the old axle. He spoke of the SF forum and he does get questions from us who have the Trailex trailers. He is sending me the new parts as well as my old originals back. He is also throwing in the parts diagrams and archive photo of my "old" trailer when it was in production back when. Thanks for the recommendations to call the original manufacturer. Like the Sunfish, Bill said the Trailex trailer has had little modifications over the years and will practically last forever too.