Is it worth it

TJL

I own a 1978 hull 575 boat which is in need of work. I club raced it this year with success but found the boat to have a wet deck and leaked through the toe rail. All the old hardware needs replacing and rebedding. The old hatches need replacing. This is adding up to be a $10,000 ordeal. I quickly see myself puting too much money into an old boat. Is this what everyone does? Should i expect to spend more on the boat then i will get back when i sell it?

I fixed my old boat a little at a time. Took most of the original hardware off and never put it back on. If it sails well, just make it safe and have fun! If a deal comes around for a boat in a bit better condition then upgrade. Sell or give your boat to another guy so he can join in too. Maybe if enough people do this you'll have a fleet to race against. Its a great boat! Keep it alive!

Dean Travis
J/24 1977 Hull# 16

I own a 1978 hull 575 boat which is in need of work. I club raced it this year with success but found the boat to have a wet deck and leaked through the toe rail. All the old hardware needs replacing and rebedding. The old hatches need replacing. This is adding up to be a $10,000 ordeal. I quickly see myself puting too much money into an old boat. Is this what everyone does? Should i expect to spend more on the boat then i will get back when i sell it?
One thing about a J24 is thanks to the number made I can't think of a less expensive boat to repair. Any part can be ordered, no custom fabrication required. Lots of used parts available. Loose the mast on your J24 and you can find a used one, lose it on a Luna or a Kirby and you are in allot more trouble.

Back