Introducing the New Official Class Sail

Discussion in 'Laser Class Politics' started by gouvernail, Jan 1, 2011.

1. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

To tell the truth, my home waters aren't known to be a high-wind venue. And I plan to sail this year only two three-day regattas (the Nationals and the local Eurocup) plus one or at most two two-day regattas. I will be busy with the Lightning class the rest of the time.

2. AlanD

AlanD Former ISAF Laser Measurer

No issue at all lasting 2 + seasons. Buy a new sail, for the two seasons only use it at regattas. Next two season use it for club races that are important for you if you want, and in the 5 and 6 season use it in the other club races, and trading. After two years, buy another new sail for regattas and begin the process again. You do not need a new sail for club racing. It means that you have possibly 3 sails in use at any one time, one effectively new, one in good condition and one that has seen better days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AlanD

AlanD Former ISAF Laser Measurer

:rolleyes:

4. Deimos

Deimos Member

I think there are two aspects to this discussion:

1. The situation we now find ourselves in, where clubs allow pretty well any gear in their Laser Class to help get the numbers at the start line. It may not be a true Laser Class according to the rules, but most clubs call it a Laser Class and in my experience there are often more 3rd party sails than class legal sails. It is what happens, certainly in some areas (I clearly cannot speak of all clubs worldwide !!).

2. Why we are here and how we get out of this and restore a significant aspect of the class (true one design). And I believe it is the issues with the current sail (price and longevity) that have created the situation where 3rd party sails have become effective and popular. The slow reaction by the class/builder/ISAF. People have been complaining for years (just look back over this forum). And despite having a new sail, etc. it still is not available. The situation beggars belief and nobody is being told why we are stuck in this situation. The membership needs to be told where the blockage is so we can do something about it and get the new sail available. And it is the Class Association that should be accountable to the membership and should be telling us what is going on. We (the many many club sailors) are the ones who spend the money that enables the builders, class, sailmakers, etc. to stay in business. Without us there would be no Laser Olympic class (because nobody would be building Lasers). We actually have the power. So if it's a builder blockage, tell us and we'll have an e-mail campaign telling the builders to sort it out or lose out business and their income. If it's the ISAF, then we can flood their inboxes telling the how their elite minority costing are costing the grass roots and damaging the class. But we must be told.

Ian

5. Emilio Castelli

Emilio Castelli Member

They last even longer if you don't use them at all....
    One good week end of racing on SF cityfront will make your new sail slower.
    E

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

Agreed!

A world-class (Laser and Star) sailor and sailmaker told me that one weekend regatta with 20 + mph winds and 30 mph gusts would irreversibly damage my sail.
    Yes, I was there, considerably behind that world-class sailor (and swimming some of the time).
    :(

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  7. Tillerman

Tillerman Member

In the Spring issue of The Laser Sailor (North American class newsletter) hitting our mailboxes this week, Andy Roy (NA President) makes it very clear who is holding up the release of the new sail…

"PSA (Australia) although apparently in full support of the new sail originally, has been refusing to sign off on the Laser Construction Manual (LCM) change strictly in a retaliatory move towards another party to the LCM."

8. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

LP blames ISAF.
    ILCA blames PSA.

Conclusion: ILCA and ISAF are out of the lawsuit, while the builders are still bound by court order/agreement to not say bad things of one another.

The immediate reason for the new sail/topmast delay is likely as Andy Roy says, but of course that isn't the whole story.

Would be interesting to hear the PSA view. I doubt that any kind of consumer activity would have any effect, though.

9. Andy B

Andy B Member

And back to the point – how does the MK2 sail.

My first outings were at a large club on a stretch of open water but there was no Laser sailing over Easter so I went to my local puddle where they are the friendliest bunch you have ever met.

The new sail was much more challenging in a nice way. The kicker adjustment is really sensitive, you don’t need to let it off so much because there is more luff roach and you don’t need to pull it on so hard because two blocking flattens it quite nicely. On the puddle it meant it was very difficult to set up the sail for optimum speed quickly and you then had to adjust every minute or so because a characteristic of the water is, over the length of the leg, it can turn from a beat to a reach, its the valley and the trees. I’m thinking about taking a purchase out of the kicker to help with the adjustment. The overall feel of the sail reminded me very much of the RS Aero which also has a fine kicker adjustment.

As a club sailor I am looking forward to a proper review from professionals like Emmett and Cockerill so I can pick up a few tips.

I think the MK2 will change the game a bit and for the better.

• Informative Informative x 1