The stringers are inside the boat and minimize hull flex. It's highly doubtful that anyone is ever going to race a 1971 hull seriously, and that modification/fix really put some life back into the boat. If you want/need more information, let me know, and I will open a separate thread. The velcro you see is the peel and stick kind, and I use it to mount a small compasses on either side of the boat. There are actually two pieces fore and aft on either side, so depending on different conditions, I will use one or the other. The compasses were left over from a different boat, so I decided to put them back to work on the Sunfish. You will also notice the anti-skid tape on the deck. I found that after cleaning the boat the side deck was just too slippery, and so I added two strips on either side and that solved the problem. It was a bear to get the arcs just right, but if I do say so, I think they look pretty good now.