Inspection Ports

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by Walter Cotting, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

There should be a piece of wood to back up the cleat, but other than that there's nothing in the way.
    See
    Sunfish Construction | SailingForums.com

Alan Glos likes a 6" port installed on the centerline (post #4). A bigger port will make it easier to replace the pulley. Just cut the hole and install the port once the work is done. Tape the hole temporarily so you don't get fiberglass on your arms etc.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  2. signal charlie

signal charlie Active Member Staff Member

You can see it, it's just a long way up there. With the 6 inch port and some type of stick/tape/wedge you might be able to hold something in place long enough to get 2 screws in, and use adhesive to set the block first and let it dry.

3. signal charlie

The foam on the sides starts about 3 rivets/screws from the tips of the splashguard and it is about 3 inches wide. The center, forward block is ahead of the mast tube.

4. signal charlie

I don't see any advantage to an off center port. And leave the ring off until work is complete, that gives you more wiggle room. I suggest long sleeves as well.

5. signal charlie

• Like Like x 1
  6. Webfoot1

Webfoot1 Active Member

Hi,

There is a Youtube vid on popping the front deck to get at the stuff in front of the boat. This would allow you to replace the cleat, bow handle and pully screws with nuts and bolts. Two part foam is needed to glue the center block back down to the deck but this seems easy in this situation. Then you could put your port behind the splash rail where it is most useful for sucking water out of the boat and storing lines and such. In fact, that's what I'm going to do to mine since the deck is already split from the hull.