Inspection Ports/Deck Plates

Swede

Hello: Is there any generally agreed upon size that is preferable? Small (4") less intrusive, but can you get your hand/arm in near when needed for repairs? Large (6") more finger roomy, but noticeably larger. Or do most folks go with the 5" compromise size? My 1966 boat should be ready to take to the water next Wednesday for the first time under my ownership. I plan on installing 1 or 2 ports at end of summer to get the last moisture out and to have for some in hull work later. Leads to the question where to cut one in order to replace the bow handle backing block, obviously it can't be in the "ideal" location behind the spray skirt, maybe 2? 3? John

I haven't had to mess with that bow handle area yet.

As for the size, I did a 4" and kind of wish that I had done a 6", live and learn.

Enjoy your new boat.

The first fish I ported I used a pair of 4" on either side of the daggerboard. Every one since them I've went with 6 incher in front of the daggerboard; AND if I have any work to do inside the hull I don't mount the port until the work is done to get that extra room that the port inself takes up.

Is there any generally agreed upon size that is preferable?
Not that I am aware of. It depends on the job to be done through the port. I use the smallest possible diameter for the task and as Mike does I leave the ring off for more working room until the repair is finished. Tape those raw edges.

I plan on installing 1 or 2 ports... , maybe 2? 3?
I wouldn't put any more holes in the deck than is absolutely necessary. I fix bow handles through a 4" port on center about 4" back of the handle. I don't mess with a new wood piece I use a drilled stainless plate epoxied to the underside. Bigger hands require bigger ports. I put in a central 5" port between splash guard and daggerboard for general drying. You can always go bigger later. Going smaller has additional challenges.

Swede,

Like Dan, 4" port for bow handle repairs or installing a hiking strap on a pre '71 SF in the rear cockpit wall, I prefer a 6" between the DB Well and Splashguard and a 5" for the rudder upgrade. From the 6" port, I was able to resecure the bulls eye next to the mast and the cleat for the halyard, install the front strap for the hiking strap as well as reset the foam blocks. From the 5" port, I replaced the backing blocks for the bridle eyestraps (had to cut some foam) and upgraded the rudder system. I used aluminum backer plates instead of stainless or wood. Keep the number of ports to the minimum if you can, do repairs before installing the port ring (tape the hole edges), I use 3M Marine Silicon to seal (can be cut easily if the port needs to be removed for additional repairs) and thru bolt the ring. These three locations cover most of the common repairs on a SF. Good luck

Hi , I also was wondering about inspection ports and was wondering if anyone has a good clean photo of the port on the boat. I used the search and got a rough idea where to place them, but a pic would reassure me. It would be more for stowage than repair like a cell phone, wallet etc. I hate losing them things!:)

Fish,

Here are some photos for you;

P1 – 6” port between splash guard and dagger board well
P2 – 4” port in rear wall of cockpit for Hiking Strap installation (pre 1971 boats) to install backing plate and nuts on bolts.
P3 – 5” port at stern for rudder upgrade
P4 – 5” port installed to repair hole in hull at transom before rudder upgrade (pre 1972 boats. In this location, you may hit a foam block (forward edge inside of port), no problem; just remove the foam to do the work needed, no need to replace any removed foam. New bracket has been installed since repair.
P5 – Photo showing relationship of wood rudder mount backing block (pre 1972 boats) and relative locations of 5” ports. Yellow string is just a marker between the forward ends of the bridle eyes

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• m_IMG_0019a.jpg
    m_IMG_0019a.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 134
  • m_IMG_1183a.jpg
    m_IMG_1183a.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 131
  • m_IMG_0037a.jpg
    m_IMG_0037a.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 114
  • m_IMG_1020.JPG
    m_IMG_1020.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 102
  • m_IMG_1151.JPG
    m_IMG_1151.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 118
I was getting online to post the same question.

I was wondering if an 8'' port between the coaming and the dagger board would be to much? West marine sells the 6'' and the 8'' that you can also buy cat bags for so I want to go with one of those two sizes for that location. I've never heard of anyone going over a 6'' port so I think it might be over kill. Any thoughts?

The deck has a curve. It's more on newer boats. 6" just barely fit with the lid keeping a seal. Warping an 8" to the curve might be too much.

:)Thank you all, that is exactly what I needed to see! Swede, I hope that helps you too, thanks supercub for the pics!

Thanks all, most excellent thoughts and photos. Two days until my wife and I test how many times we can accidentally jibe without suffering concussions or boom impalement.....:D John

I used three of the clear 6" ports from Jamestown Distributors. They were cheap and high quality. I truly needed all six, (foam block resetting).

I was a bit nervous to make my first inspection port last year on my 1969 'Fish. After all, I was doing a hole in my boat! It was 6 inch port behind the splash guard. Finally, it is not difficult. Important: put a new blade on your jig saw. Cutting will be much faster and easier.

This summer, I installed an inspection port at the back to repair the rudder. It went completely pull off last year under medium air! The backing plate was soaked and rotten, so the screws got loose. So beware!

I have put a 4 inch port at the back but a bit too much forward, so I have trouble to put my arm in the boat because of the lack of depth of the boat. I had trouble to reach under the top plate of the rudder to put to put the nuts. My children had hepl me, they have shorter arms!The place shown on Supercub picture seems OK to avoid that problem.

blueberry,

I have found that a 5" port in the rudder area is all that is needed in either rudder access location. I have upgraded a couple of boats and found that I can get my arm inside with the port ring NOT installed. You can always put a bigger port in where you have a small port.

As Dan mentioned the 8" is too big, a 6" works just fine behind the splash guard. I can reach the mast well, bulls eye (or pulley), most of the foam blocks up front (to Re-set) and the front cockpit wall with out much problem, again with out the port ring installed.

Tip #1 - The lid can be used to draw the cut line for the port. Use a "Sharpie" marker and cut right down the middle of the line and the ring should fit just right.

Tip #2 - Have one port with a clear lid (I have it on the rear port). Any time there is moisture in the hull, it will condense on the underside of the lid where you can see it. Open the ports and let the inside dry out.

Aa.,

The clear lid will show the condensation on the bottom side, but you usually can't see the hull bottom to see if there is any water in the hull, but it only takes a couple seconds to open the lid and look inside.

I'll agree with Cubbie, the clear port still doesn't let enough light through and isn't distorsion free enough to see the hull floor to check for water infiltration.
Besides if you use a Cat bag; which is very useful storage in case of capsize; in the port that would block any view.

Doesn't having a catbag defeat the function of a clear port to see condensation? Or are cat bags not water tight from the inside?

The port lid, o-ring, port ring are what keeps things dry. The cat/fat bags are not water proof, just uncoated nylon (similar in weight to the sail), and will let water condence on the bottom of the lid. You need to use a ziplock type baggie if you really want to keep stuff dry. Double them up (2 baggies, one inside the other) for extra security/dryness. If the bag is inplace and you see water condencing, take everything out and dry the bag and other stuff, mold could form on the bag if it remains damp.

Only one lid needs to be clear (mine is the back 5" port), the front can be solid.

Here are four photos of my rear port;

1 - Lid, no bag
2 - No lid, no bag
3 - Bag, no lid
4 - Bag and Lid

As you can see from picture 3, the cat bag has just a drawsting closure that is in no way water tight.

Attachments

• m_IMG_0239.JPG
    m_IMG_0239.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 80
  • m_IMG_0243.JPG
    m_IMG_0243.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 77
  • m_IMG_0244.JPG
    m_IMG_0244.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 71
  • m_IMG_0245.JPG
    m_IMG_0245.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 70
I used the pop-in type ports in six inch size—they're cheaper.

The fit is too tight to pull out by hand, so I drilled the port for a plastic loop and sealed the drilled holes from underneath the lid. I put a glob of lube under the lid to keep the seal supple each time it's used.

I'll have to try a six-inch-diameter plastic bag to store my camera. It would be sealed by the port lid. Maybe that will work wonders with both problems.

Now I remember what I was going to say.

If you have the option of a rough surface or smooth surface for the lid, go for the textured surface. There's too much sliding around as it is.

Why textured? The port in front of the daggerboard is too far forward to sit on and the rudder port is too far back. All the texture does is trap dirt and look ugly.

Saving a couple of bucks by getting the snap in style does not make "cents". You had to modify them to put a handle on them to be able to use them. The screw in type require no mods, extra tools or anything to open, check and close, much easier to use.

Why textured? The port in front of the daggerboard is too far forward to sit on and the rudder port is too far back. All the texture does is trap dirt and look ugly.
After capsizing, I crawl back aboard over the transom. My port is fully to the rear where I get some initial traction. Then I can skid myself forward. Most other times, I need more "grip" than "skid". They do trap dirt. :(

Saving a couple of bucks by getting the snap in style does not make "cents".
I bank the bucks towards a new sail! :)

You had to modify them to put a handle on them to be able to use them. The screw in type require no mods, extra tools or anything to open, check and close, much easier to use.
Among my three presently-owned catamarans, I have both types in three sizes.

I don't know whether the screw-in types froze or got stepped on, but the clear ones have cracked. They don't leak through the cracks, but they look unsightly. The pop-ins are designed to be removed with a pry tool, but there never seems to be a pry tool around when I need—say—the paddle stored inside the hull. For ease of access, I modified them with a bendy handle. None have cracked.

Another feature:
Where I sail, there are a lot of 80-MPH+ speedboats. I keep a discarded CD handy to use as a mirror. Upon the distant, but direct approach of one, it is surprisingly effective on the skipper. As of yesterday, I found that the CD can be glued onto the underside of the 6" pop-in for emergency signaling.

The pop-ins are very tight, whereas the screw-ins aren't all that tight.
The screw-ins can also bind. On those, I use the wrong end of a pair of pliers (the handles), and twist it open with a big screwdriver.

It's a good idea to put Vasoline or some mineral grease around the black part of the seal at any opportunity.

Just my 2 ¢. (OK, maybe 3 :D )

You might want to find out where the older boat has internal supports or spars. If you are putting in more than one for ventalation and niether are on the centerline consider putting them on opposite sides. This way you can have slightly more airflow over your boat.

BTW does anyone know what the inside of a scorpion looks like? I am also trying to figure out where to put in some ports.

BrainCorrel
________
the volcano vaporizer

I've heard of using a CD for an emergency signal, but never thought about it on a boat. Not a bad idea. Heck might even turn a hobbi float into a mirrored ball just for safty. It would also double as a party starter with some spreader lights pointed on it at night. Can you tell I'm packing to go to the lake right now. I got the fever in my blood.

"...I've heard of using a CD for an emergency signal, but never thought about it on a boat. Not a bad idea..."
I hadn't thought of the spreader lights, but that can't hurt if you've been reading of some sailboat/powerboat events in Canada—and BoaterEd.com's topics.

The "performance boats" all say, "We can't see kayaks". :eek:

Well, what do they see when a Sunfish sail is pointed into their line of sight?
Ans: Not much more than a kayak. (Or in my case, not pointing a sail anywhere—while capsized :eek: ).

The CD doesn't work on cloudy days (like today), but I think I'll "brave the waters" anyway. ;)

Remember, "A Sunfish in the harbor is safe, but that's not what Sunfish were made for!"

:cool:

Porpoise2,

OK, I climb back in over the side by the cockpit, there I have the cockpit rim, hiking strap and top of the daggerboard for places to grip and pull myself on (haven't had any problems with the SF wanting to turn over "again"). No port in the way to crawl over. And we both agree that the textured ports trap dirt.

Haven't had any problems with the screw lids jambing up, except when the mounting ring was tightened too tight to the deck and bent. I don't crank on the lid either, just snug it up (no water ingress, even turned turtle or playing submarine with power boat wakes). Vaseline on the "O" ring seems to help. Seldom open the port on the water, mostly just use them for ventalation to keep the hull dry inside. The CD "signal mirror" is not a bad idea.

It's going to take a lot of ports to get a new sail :).

I can see why you modified the ports with a handle to make them "no tools needed". It is hard to keep a pry tool handy on a SF (or Cat) just to open the ports, one of the reasons I prefer the screw lid. My paddle (5' wood from Wal-mart), I store on the fore deck with a Velcro wrap at the bow handle and flat bungee across the deck in front of the splashguard. The 5' paddle does make paddling easier than trying to use the daggerboard, praddle or short paddle.

Haven't had a screw lid crack, either in white or clear. Have lost :mad: the "rudder" lid by forgetting to put it back in place and driving away with the SF on the trailer (Duct tape allowed me to sail that day). The "daggerboard" lid ended up in the cockpit (lucky there).

Just different outlooks on what works for us. Cheers.

It's going to take a lot of ports to get a new sail...Just different outlooks on what works for us. Cheers.

True enough.

Catamarans aren't normally stored in garages or upside-down, so expanding ice on the screw-in ports is only a problem for boats stored outdoors in half of the continent.

Hardly anybody stands on Sunfish decks to break the clear lids either, but it could happen when dropped or stored. My Hobie screw-ins—usually snugged by hand—frequently are discovered to be jammed shut, so it's a tie for "ready access". The pop-in ports are resoundingly watertight.

Nobody (no body) is built the same, nor do they have the same re-boarding technique after a capsize.

Back