Inspection port threads combined!!!!!

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by DJ_GAFFA, Oct 24, 2007.

1. DJ_GAFFA

DJ_GAFFA New Member

Hi all,

I know it has been covered over and over in other threads, but I just wanted to ask some advice.

I have a 2003 boat, solid, no issues. A guy down the club has told me it would be a good idea to put in an inspection port. (I obviously don't have one currently).

What would be the benefit/drawback of adding one. I know it gives access etc, but is it worth it, or will it drop the value of my boat???

Thanks.

2. GBR 134

GBR 134 Member

Re: Inspection port again!!!!!

As a general rule if you don't need one don't put one in - but where else do you keep your cigarettes?

3. Deimos

Deimos Member

I had always assumed that if they were such a good idea then new boats would come with them pre-fitted in the "best" location. I would imagine that the "best" location might depend on what you are wanting to inspect or repair.

Ian

4. StephenIles

StephenIles New Member

Inspection port again!!!!!

If it ain't broke .........

5. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

I put one in because I feel it helps the boat stay dry when not in use. You take the cover off and it helps the hull air out while being stored.

6. StephenIles

StephenIles New Member

I just take the drain plug out and leave it in my boots bag. Yes, I have forgotten to put in back in - only once though.:eek:

7. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

Funny. I always leave my drain plug in. I get worried about loosing it or forgetting it. The inspectiuon port cover is too big to loose. Just shows how we all do things a little differently like the main sheet management discussion.

8. TheBoathouse

TheBoathouse New Member

The manufacturer stopped installing them with new boats because it was the #1 source of leaks. Also many a knee has been put through the screw hatch. If your boat is dry and doesn't need internal surgery no need to add one....

9. DJ_GAFFA

DJ_GAFFA New Member

Thanks all for your advice, I think I'll hold off until it needs it.

10. Reon

Reon New Member

good idea ;)

11. yumandco

yumandco New Member

I put one in my boat because it was in need of a repair to the mast support. It has been very handy for the extra safety lines etc that the coast guard makes us carry in canada - also not a bad place to keep the lunch and beer when the wind dies down - I have not put one in my other boat yet as it is still dry after any amount of sailing - the first boat is a 78 and second an 84

12. adamant

adamant New Member

I put one in my boat at the beginning of this season. Never had a problem with water in the boat before, and still is dry even after sailing in strong conditions with the occasional capsize. Boat was built around 1984ish. Probably wouldn't have bothered with a hatch, but I needed somewhere to put the car keys while sailing (key has the electronic bits in it that dont like getting wet - so attaching key to PFD as previous was not an option). I put silicone under the edges of the inspection hatch when installing to ensure there were no leaks there. I guess the rubber seal on the lid might be the weak point once it gets older......

13. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

And that is replaceable.

14. Hoffy

Hoffy New Member

I think you should consider one. Everyone in my fleet puts one in. The veterans swear by them. My boat is a 2002 and has been "dry" all its life. I put mine in this season and when I cut the boat open, then entire hull was damp on the inside. By the end of the day, with the port hole in it, the entire hull was dry. Over the long term, I think that equates to a lighter, stiffer boat than one that hasn't been relieved of that light mist inside the boat. I managed my extras onboard without the storage bag but will get one for convenience next year.

15. Bungo Pete

Bungo Pete Member

From a structural standpoint, A round hole in the deck of one of these boats is not a liability. If properly installed and maintained, an inspection port should not be a source of leaks either. A buddy of mine has a boat from the 1984 Worlds which had a port bedded and riveted in . For my 1979 and his other (1980) boat, we chose bedding and through-bolting with good quality stainless hardware.

Cutting a hole in anything you love, especially if it is going to be seen, is not an easy thing, but as mentioned above, it is essential if you want to keep the inside of the hull dry. Also, with a digital camera, you can get a very good look inside.

Hope this helps.

16. XtSurfMogulXt

XtSurfMogulXt Member

Why install inspection ports?

I'm looking at buying a boat and a few of the ones I've come across have had inspection ports. I've seen them by the mast, which might indicate a mast step repair (right?). I've also seen one with a port next to the daggerboard trunk slot. Would this necessarily mean there was a problem with the trunk? Could it just be for storage? I've heard of some people 'airing out' their boat via a port--is that valid? Will it detract from the structural strength and/or stiffness of the boat? Thanks in advance.

17. Eric_R

Eric_R D10 Secretary

Re: Why install inspection ports?

You can use it for a few things:

Airing out the boat when trailering, storing extra snacks, water, clothes, easy access should something bad happen to the hill, etc.

18. captainJack987

captainJack987 New Member

Re: Why install inspection ports?

I recently bought a laser with the an inspection port by the daggerboard trunk, they converted it into a small watertight storage space, for a allet or cell phone

19. captainJack987

captainJack987 New Member

i have a 1981 laser and it looks like there is an inspection prt on the right of the degerboard slot but its a waterproof compartment, i dont know if it doubles as an inspection port, but was it factory installed or not??

20. Bungo Pete

Bungo Pete Member

I cannot tell you much about it without some pics. Is the "waterproof compartment" removable? Is it rigid?