Injection Molded Sunfish

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by Tillerman, Apr 22, 2016.

1. mixmkr

mixmkr Active Member

I'm kinda surprised the Chinese haven't made a "counterfeit" Sunfish. Sooooo many other items they have, down to replicating logos. But like mentioned, the market isn't there for something like that. Les Paul guitars.... well.....

2. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

That's how I took it...:) I think we already covered using Helium in the mast and spars. ;)

But my term, "tweaking the hull" could mean stiffening the hull using any number of fiberglass repairs. :oops:

My present 1976 Sunfish may already be illegal for racing! :eek:

3. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

Don't tell racer Lyn St. James, but I used "The Rules" to my benefit. :cool:

"The Rules" required us to tape over the headlights. (To keep any broken glass off the racetrack surface).

In my first race, I carefully trimmed the Contact Paper I'd used to fit the headlight itself. The Contact Paper was exactly the same color as my car, so it looked pretty professional. :cool: Upon the occasion of my second race, I was a bit hurried, and covered the headlight and the surrounding bezel with the same Contact Paper. That one step made the fenders more aerodynamic, and I achieved a top speed faster than everyone else. (108-MPH "indicated", on a closed track :eek:). 'Course, my car wasn't the fastest in the corners, where races are won.

I don't know about Sunfish racing, but I suspect "The Rules" can be bent. :rolleyes:

4. water rat

water rat Member

Having been a wilderness kayak tour company owner I am familar with items made in China. The golden rule for turning out a good product is to have your own people on the floor in the factory.Flying there off and on on your own dime is a ticket to disaster. Most of the quality outdoor goods with U.S. badges are made in China,Korea,and Viet Nam. by companies who have their own people supervising production in the factories.. . Not by hit or miss inspection.

5. sailcraftri

sailcraftri Well-Known Member

I was told that the Chinese company making the Sunfish also makes the Zim Sailing boats.

6. Webfoot1

Webfoot1 Active Member

2015 International Rules

3.1.4 There are no restrictions as to the type of finish applied to the hull so long as the finish is applied in liquid form. Materials applied in solid or sheet form are
    specifically forbidden. Modification of the hull to improve the shape or performance beyond the original is forbidden.

Yep, One Design Class, no Development Class mods allowed. That said the amount of cheap used Sunfish around make it perfect
    for repurposing. Check out some of the Sunfish on the web converted to Layout and Duck boats. There is a vid on YouTube of
    someone who joined to Sunfish Hulls together and made a Catamaran. Crazy Stuff!

Anyone who is foolish enough to think the illegal modifications is going to make up for lack of racing skills risks being banned
    from racing. Even with modifications I doubt it you take you very far up the ranks but it could hurt someone you've knocked
    out of qualification.

Kind of bummed that one of the 40 best things made in America is now made in China. Sign of the times.