I'm a laser owner... Again.

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Chuso007, Dec 16, 2017.

1. AlanD

AlanD Former ISAF Laser Measurer

For what it's worth, fake Lasers were being built in USSR / Russia at one stage, one of these making its way to Spain is far more likely than from different continent with the wrong makings

2. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

Yes, and this was one possibility that I had in mind, but not anymore after seeing the pictures. The Soviet version of the Laser was/is called the "Lutz", and in Soviet times they were built in Tallinn, Estonia. I have seen several live, and they're pretty easy to spot, mainly by their curved deck, different anti-skid texture and Harken-ish blocks.

3. Chuso007

Chuso007 Member

You can use my boat...:p
    I'll make a few questions to the previous owner, He's half kiwi, so who knows...

4. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

Thanks, but I think you should race it yourself! And if you don't have all legal/working parts by then, I can bring with me what you need, at a very good price :D

(Ok, there's maybe only a 10 % chance that I'll actually show up. But it would be really cool to sail in your home waters.)

5. Chuso007

Chuso007 Member

OK, I'll pay the first couple of rounds of beer if you come...

6. Chuso007

Chuso007 Member

Just asked the previous owner. The boat was bought second hand here in Spain, so no clue where it comes from.

7. Chuso007

Chuso007 Member

BTW, I have no idea how am I going to get rid of the cunningham padeye that's epoxied to the deck.

Would it be illegal to tie a couple of blocks to it and use it as a plate? Would it work?

8. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

A hammer should do it quite easily :D Some gelcoat will probably come off, but that can always be filled in.
    Yes. But you can run both the cunningham and the outhaul lines through the fairlead! It would be a bit crowded there, though, as you have to have the mast retention line attached there as well.

9. Chuso007

Chuso007 Member

The hammer is a good idea... If I can take the screws out first! I suspect it wont be the case.

I'll see what I can do.

10. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

Don't waste your time, (waiting on parts) and money on class legal parts. Get the aftermarket stuff from someone like Intensity Sails and get on the water! If you decide to get serious, (and LP gets their act together) then start working on the class legal parts. If you do decide to race your local group should not take issue with you using aftermarket parts for the local non-GP events. Have fun!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Chuso007

Chuso007 Member

I got a great deal on an Allen XD Cunningham/outhaul Power pack on a local shop (it looks like it's been there for a few years...) and yesterday I bought a second hand Holt vang system and a bailer...

I need a tiller extension and I think I'm ready to sail with the almost destroyed standard sail that came with the boat. I'll try to find some used radial base and sail in the near future.

In a week or two I'll be sailing, I hope.

Thanks to all of you for the help, although I still don't know which is the correct hull number...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

Excellent work! You can keep it inexpensive AND class legal when you pick up used gear! There's some great opportunities for that on the classifieds section here. Good thinking! You may hit a snag on the "little things" like daggerboard brakes, deck cleats and some of the other small parts that do not lend themselves well on the used item list. That's where you may need to check out the aftermarket parts just to get a part. Keep it up. You'll be on the water in no time.

13. Chuso007

Chuso007 Member

Thanks a lot Rob, I'm going to open another thread regarding some gelcoat work I've noticed is needed on the hull, (no, it won't keep me on the dry...)

14. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

Some of the details which we've discussed above point to a somewhat newer boat, but you might as well go with 106952 when that's all you've got. I thought of another (probably very weak) lead that I could follow; I'll post the results here if anything interesting surfaces.

Do you need a rudder blade/head?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chuso007

Chuso007 Member

I will need one eventually, because mine is illegal. Actually the head is the one on ILCA's website shown as an example of illegal. :D (Nautos Brasil)

And the blade... Judge yourself (sorry for the bad picture)
    IMG_20171213_201211.jpg

16. Emilio Castelli

Emilio Castelli Member

Do flip your top section before you go sailing, especially if the collar has two rivets. Flip it and use one rivet only.
    E

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chuso007

Chuso007 Member

I'm not really sure what you mean...

18. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chuso007

Chuso007 Member

Thanks! I haven't checked if the mast is bent yet, but I will!

20. Emilio Castelli

Emilio Castelli Member

Doesn't matter if it's bent. End to end it anyway, especially if you have two rivets at the collar (2' in the video)
    E

• Like Like x 1