If I had an old Laser I'd--

Merrily

Administrator
Murphs said:
if i had an old laser i'd chop her up and use it for a hiking bench, but cant seem to find anyone with one to get rid of

If I had an old Laser and a big house with a big rec room, I'd saw the boat in half from bow to stern, put it on a stand and put glass on top, and use it for a bar.

How about you? What would you do with an old, not salvageable, Laser?

Merrily

The "filling the hull with helium" feasability study would be tempting, but I think I would attach ice skates on the bottom for the November to April sailing season.

i like the wheels idea, might want to wear motorcycle leathers for that one, and have a very wide wheelbase

go out in the ocean in 30 knots and see how well i can cartwheel the boat by nosediving

sail it in front of a ferry on sydney harbour and watch it get demolished

attempt to surf at a beach on my laser

anything else where my boat or i would most likely get hurt

if i had an old laser (given that the hull was sound) i would wax it up well and make a mold out of it, and then lay the mold with carbon fiber and make a laser that a kid could lift with one hand..... what do you guys think?

Brendan

I'd like a carbon fiber laser. Can you make it under 30 lbs? That thing would plane in anything. They should really look into a carbon fiber dinghy, that'd be pretty sweet.

kch88 said:
I'd like a carbon fiber laser. Can you make it under 30 lbs?

Seems to me that it would be so light that it would fall over, so you'd have to use a trapeze. That would be sweet.

Merrily

As a matter of fact, they do make a carbon fiber dinghy. There is one at my club. it is a Stevens design and it is completely carbon fiber. GORGEOUS! i am aware that there are only 9 in the world and that you can obtain plans and materials to build your own or have a yard in Rhode Island build it. very expensive though.

Brendan

Murphs said:
cant see how it would 'fall over' merrily

I got it backward. A 30 pound hull would move the center of balance way up with the weight of the spars and sail and skipper. The boat would fall toward you unless you stayed close to the centerline or you had a mighty wind to counterbalance your weight. You'd have to hike less, and it sounds to me like it would be unstable.

M

sailor327 said:
Are you sayin there is a carbon laser brendan? Who owns it.

There can't be a carbon Laser, unless the maker in North America paid for a license from Vanguard or got some other kind of dispensation--say for research. Besides, Brendan said a Steven's design dinghy.

Merrily

no, i never said that there was a carbon laser in production, believe me if there was i would have one... i was simply saying that there is a dinghy made completely out of carbon fiber... sorry for the misunderstanding.

Brendan

Another note, i was just saying that it would be easy to make a carbon fiber laser if you had, say a mid 80's hull in good condition that you dont want. then all you would need to do is wax the hull really well and make a mold out of it. after that, you just need to lay the gelcoat, epoxy, and carbon fiber in the place of fiberglass. all it really is, is "Set it and forget it". once its dry pop in out and you have a carbon laser. Sorry for any bad spelling or punctuation, i am in a rush to get to a regatta as i type this.

Best wishes,
Brendan

id start with an extremely well waxed layer of particle board, then id lay it up with west systems epoxy and a very very light fareing putty. sound good? i actually think im going to do this over the summer because im just a freshman in highschool. i will probably just use it to goof off in but it will be fun... i hope!

Brendan

to be honest, it's stupid, but I'd like to get one of those small rocket motors and see what happened.

actually, check that. I'd get a bunch of small ones. Go out sailing, and then it'd be like a nitro button.

*push* FWWSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

One nitro per wave only though!

WestCoast said:
to be honest, it's stupid, but I'd like to get one of those small rocket motors and see what happened.

actually, check that. I'd get a bunch of small ones. Go out sailing, and then it'd be like a nitro button.

Stupid?? how? it might be a waste of money and good carbon fiber, but afterwords id have the lightest laser.... ever! and although i cant use it in regatta's, i can probably end up selling it to bill koch (he lives right near me) for an outrageous ammount of money for his sailing museum in his house.

PressureDropBG said:
Stupid?? .

Brendan,
Just to be clear, West Coast was referring to his own idea of adding rockets to a Laser. George/West Coast would never be rude.

Merrily

ok yikes, sorry pressuredrop, I see how what I said could be confusing!

I think the thread is great, lots of interesting ideas!

I was of course trying to refer to my own idea of putting rocket motors on a laser as stupid! Sorry for the way I wrote it.

And Merrily, you made me blush.

WestCoast said:

I like the way you think. rockets, now that would be sweet.:)

Originally Posted by Murphs
"if i had an old laser i'd chop her up and use it for a hiking bench, but cant seem to find anyone with one to get rid of"

If one were to use an old Laser to make a hiking bench, how would you do it? Attach it to some kind of stand so it won't tip over when you hike way out? Any ideas for the stand?

Merrily

P.S. can't seem to get rid of the Italic. Hmm. Bold works fine. Underlining too.But Italic won't go away.

If i had an old laser i'd go sail it in the biggest blow and swell i could find and ask someone to film it.. :p that would be cool!
also the beach surfing idea looks pretty cool ;)
i'd also like to have half (bow to stern) of the boat sticked to the wall of my bedroom! ;)

all_ratone said:
If i had an old laser i'd go sail it in the biggest blow and swell i could find and ask someone to film it.. :p that would be cool!
also the beach surfing idea looks pretty cool ;)
i'd also like to have half (bow to stern) of the boat sticked to the wall of my bedroom! ;)

I like 'em all! :D

Merrily

Back