If I had an old Laser I'd--

Discussion in 'The Dockhouse' started by Merrily, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

If I had an old Laser and a big house with a big rec room, I'd saw the boat in half from bow to stern, put it on a stand and put glass on top, and use it for a bar.

How about you? What would you do with an old, not salvageable, Laser?

Merrily

2. sailor327

sailor327 New Member

If it was super soft i would chuck it off a really high bridge and see what happens.

3. Georg W.F.

Georg W.F. Member

If I had an old laser I would become an Olympic Gold Medalist!

GWF

4. waterdown@bellsouth.net

waterdown@bellsouth.net New Member

I would put wheels on it and sail around the parking lot.

5. jim anderson

jim anderson New Member

The "filling the hull with helium" feasability study would be tempting, but I think I would attach ice skates on the bottom for the November to April sailing season.

6. Murphs

Murphs New Member

i like the wheels idea, might want to wear motorcycle leathers for that one, and have a very wide wheelbase

7. rock steady

rock steady New Member

Go in a Laser Demolition Derby in 25kts.

8. Murphs

Murphs New Member

go out in the ocean in 30 knots and see how well i can cartwheel the boat by nosediving

sail it in front of a ferry on sydney harbour and watch it get demolished

attempt to surf at a beach on my laser

anything else where my boat or i would most likely get hurt

9. PressureDropBG

PressureDropBG New Member

if i had an old laser (given that the hull was sound) i would wax it up well and make a mold out of it, and then lay the mold with carbon fiber and make a laser that a kid could lift with one hand..... what do you guys think?

Brendan

10. kch88

kch88 New Member

I'd like a carbon fiber laser. Can you make it under 30 lbs? That thing would plane in anything. They should really look into a carbon fiber dinghy, that'd be pretty sweet.

11. Merrily

Seems to me that it would be so light that it would fall over, so you'd have to use a trapeze. That would be sweet.

Merrily

12. PressureDropBG

As a matter of fact, they do make a carbon fiber dinghy. There is one at my club. it is a Stevens design and it is completely carbon fiber. GORGEOUS! i am aware that there are only 9 in the world and that you can obtain plans and materials to build your own or have a yard in Rhode Island build it. very expensive though.

Brendan

13. Murphs

Murphs New Member

cant see how it would 'fall over' merrily

14. Merrily

I got it backward. A 30 pound hull would move the center of balance way up with the weight of the spars and sail and skipper. The boat would fall toward you unless you stayed close to the centerline or you had a mighty wind to counterbalance your weight. You'd have to hike less, and it sounds to me like it would be unstable.

M

15. sailor327

sailor327 New Member

Are you sayin there is a carbon laser brendan? Who owns it.

16. Merrily

There can't be a carbon Laser, unless the maker in North America paid for a license from Vanguard or got some other kind of dispensation--say for research. Besides, Brendan said a Steven's design dinghy.

Merrily

17. PressureDropBG

no, i never said that there was a carbon laser in production, believe me if there was i would have one... i was simply saying that there is a dinghy made completely out of carbon fiber... sorry for the misunderstanding.

Brendan

18. PressureDropBG

Another note, i was just saying that it would be easy to make a carbon fiber laser if you had, say a mid 80's hull in good condition that you dont want. then all you would need to do is wax the hull really well and make a mold out of it. after that, you just need to lay the gelcoat, epoxy, and carbon fiber in the place of fiberglass. all it really is, is "Set it and forget it". once its dry pop in out and you have a carbon laser. Sorry for any bad spelling or punctuation, i am in a rush to get to a regatta as i type this.

Best wishes,
    Brendan

19. Merrily

What material would you use for the mold?

M

20. PressureDropBG

id start with an extremely well waxed layer of particle board, then id lay it up with west systems epoxy and a very very light fareing putty. sound good? i actually think im going to do this over the summer because im just a freshman in highschool. i will probably just use it to goof off in but it will be fun... i hope!

Brendan