Idiot owner (leak)

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by rogerkallhovd, May 4, 2015.

1. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

True story: While working at my empty lot, a "bump-steer" Bobcat excavator rolled a really big tubeless tire off the rim. The owner drove off to "buy some hardware". He returned with a book of matches, and a can of carburetor spray. He sprayed inside the rim, waited a few seconds, then threw a match in the tire's general location. POP! :eek: the tire was again firmly on the rim...! :cool: The tire was then returned to its correct pressure.

Don't try this at home! :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Light and Variable Winds

In case I'd left a question mark about using hose clamps to squish the tire onto the bead, here's the hose clamp fix I suggested—as a photograph.

[​IMG]

Note the screwdriver. It's sold by Ace Hardware, has four reversible bits (two shown), plus the ability to adjust hose clamps with its 5/16ths inch (or ¼") nut-driver end. While rugged and long lasting, Ace's replacement bits are less than $4.

At least one other larger size of Ace screwdriver is available.

3. signal charlie

signal charlie Active Member Staff Member

Another way to get a dolly tire reseated is to tie a piece of line around the circumference of the tire, in the middle. Then take a stick and tighten it like a torniquet to compress the middle of the tire and the beads should go out to the rim. Or use a ratchet strap. Only put enough air in to seat the bead, then remove the strap.

4. rogerkallhovd

rogerkallhovd New Member

Hi--
    Thanks again. I get to boat in fits & starts. The advice you (& a couple of others) gave me has worked great todate. Cockpit bailer drilled out--and expansion plug installed. Today I caulked leaking seams with 5200. Now remains to fix dolly tires. Sailing will have to wait till next year.
    Regards
    Roger

5. Light and Variable Winds

It's "Next Year"! :p

In the meantime, I had a tire loosen from the rim on an old garden trailer with four wheels. A new 5-bolt mounted wheel is now $20! :eek: (But watching for a sale).

A new cart is $85. :rolleyes:

So I tried the hose clamp "fix" with my 20-gallon compressor.

[​IMG]

It didn't work because the tire was Florida-sun hardened, so I drilled six equally-spaced ¼-inch holes into the tread, and filled the inside with Great Stuff®. (Using the remainder of an old can—about ½-full—using a coat hanger to clear the spray head). With the help of the other three tires, it's holding up! :)

6. Light and Variable Winds

I did say, "Not to try this at home", right? :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Webfoot1

Webfoot1 Active Member

If the first wheel hub in the video is a split-rim then this is beyond
    stupid.