Identify Vintage and Type of Sunfish Boat & advice

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by Cai, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Cai

Cai Member

Thank you Wavedancer. I was not very clear indeed with "10. Rudderblade complete with tiller", thanks you for the correction, and probably saving me some money with item 14. Looks like quite a complete list now. Curacao is indeed windy in this time of the year. But of course "Waaigat" is always windy.

Updated list:

Boat parts (in need of replacement)
    1. Drain plug (lost)
    2. Bailer complete (broken)
    3. Hiking strap (too old and torn)

Additional parts (must have)
    4. Complete mast (assume caps are included)
    5. (Quick adjust) Gooseneck
    6. Complete Lower Boom with single bullet blocks
    - Prefer boom set
    - Assume interlocking eyebolds are on it
    7. Complete Upperboom
    - Prefer boom set
    8. Sail (race (white) or recreational (red and white - i hate green ;) )
    9. Main sheet swivel block (already have one but not sure it is still ok)
    10. Rudderblade complete with tiller and tiller extension
    11. Daggerboard complete
    12. Sail Rings (assume 30 pack the amount needed and some extra if possible)
    13. All the lines (line kit)
    - Sunfish Standard Halyard
    - Sunfish Outhaul Line
    - Sunfish Standard Mainsheet Line
    - Sunfish Daggerboard Retaining Line Kit (assuming bummel hook included)
    - Sunfish Daggerboard Safety Line

Optional
    14. Mainsheet Snap or Removable Traveler Block
    15. Bow handle (needs to be fixed if possible)

2. Cai

Cai Member

I had a look at a sunfish that was offered to me including trailer (not dolly which I think is very handy making it possible for me to sail everywhere) and race model sunfish with covers, fiber daggerboard and rudder and everything. Was wondering if anybody can indicate to me if a price of around 2800 dollar is ok. I have no idea how much a trailer normally would cost. The boat was in a good condition only thing is saw was that the mast hole was nicely fixed once and that the I believe the connection point around the "Eye strap" where the main sheet swivel block is connected to seemed had some use and very small cracks were visible. Seems that most of the strain was there. The front of the boat was little (lightly damaged) because they told me of anchoring the boat. For the rest I could not discover any real flaws on the boat. The sail, mast, upper and lowerboom looked ok. The cleat on the mast was a little loose but not anything badly. The rudder was complete and the tiller was made of wood and tiller extension (if i remember correctly) of plastic.

3. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

Very important:
    You need to weigh the hull to see if it has taken on water internally, especially because the boat has been anchored. Acceptable weights range from about 120 to 140 lbs, IMHO.

4. Cai

Cai Member

You are correct, forgot to mention the weight was within the acceptable weight range 129 lbs, but it just rained like hell on the boat. Handy thing was I also checked if the height of the water in the mast hole went down or not to see if it was leaking. Also this was ok.