I now own a Laser!--cold water question

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by henrikdagfinrud, Mar 12, 2008.

1. henrikdagfinrud

henrikdagfinrud New Member

I got my first Laser yesterday. 70's boat, but very well kept.

I have searched this forum, but can't find a good answer; does anyone have experience using a 5/3 mm wetsuit and dry top over that? Would that make it possible to sail in dry suit conditions? I am kind of hoping to get out on the water during easter, but I don't have a dry suit. We're talking below 40 degrees in the water.

What do you guys think? If I pick a calm day, would it be crazy to go out without perfect equipment?

Attached Files:

2. DK Sailor

DK Sailor New Member

Re: I now own a Laser!

i think id be crazy in 10+ winds but still no wind you should have one

3. stick

stick Member

i wouldn't go out alone in those cold conditions. a buddy in another boat is always safer, especially for your first outing.

4. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

Do you already know how to sail?

I'm not sure what a 5/3 mm wetsuit is. When I dove in 55 degree water, I rented a 7mm wetsuit and it was needed.

Regardless, you shouldn't go alone with that water temp.

I'm thinking the short answer is no.

Congrats on getting a Laser! Be patient. You will soon have plenty of time to sail safely.

5. henrikdagfinrud

I've been sailing for all my life, though my last dinghy was a Europe some years ago. A 5/3 is a wetsuit with 5 mm body and 3 mm "flexzones". I was thinking about that and a drytop with solid layering. Of course with people in or near a motor boat for safety.

I guess I'll be looking for a drysuit.

6. Merrily

Yeah, I think your wetsuit is too light. I know people who wear their wetsuit inside of their dry suit when sailing in those water temps.

Anybody else who is experienced have an opinion?

7. Barometer Soup

Barometer Soup New Member

I went into the water in November after bumping into some ice. I was wearing a shorty with 5mil bibs over them and a 5 mil jacket also booties and a wool cap. It took me 5 or 10 minutes to get back to shore. By then my muscles were stiffening up so badly I could barely move. I think another few minutes in the water and I'd be a goner.
    If you are going in that cold of water you need a dry suit or survival suit!
    You could just be patient and wait until the water warms up.

Barometer Soup

8. oldsalt

oldsalt New Member

Your head needs protection, both from cold and trauma. Dont forget a wet suit balaclava, or, alternatively, our local expert ALwAYS wears a helmet when practising alone

9. henrikdagfinrud

Do you guys never go out on a calm day? I mean, I want to take this serious, but on a flat water day with a gentle breeze, do you never want to just glide around? And do you put helmets on to do that?

Another question: Have anyone tried the Typhoon Race drysuit? Is it ok?

10. Merrily

This is the first I've heard of wearing a helmet. I guess it's not a bad idea when sailing alone, but if you are in light air, it would be surprising that you'd need it.

11. Atlas

Atlas New Member

Have alook at
    www.zhik.com

There stuff is light and we sweet wearing it in winter.

12. Martin Brown

Martin Brown New Member

On the Question of the Typhoon Drysuit, I bought one a couple of years ago and have been very happy with it, we sail all winter and need it for those icy days. Managed to wear a hole in the seat and Typhoon repaired it under warranty. Quite impressed as they fixed it and had it back in a week, no hassle.

13. madyottie

madyottie Apprentice

I would have thought a 5/3 suit would be fine, although I really dont know how cold 40 deg f is, as I'm a deg c lad!
    Personally, in the south of england I wear a 3/2 in the spring and autumn, with a dry top over it, and keep warm enough! In mid-winter (around -2 to +5 deg air temp) I also wear a shorty suit underneath, and over-trousers, but thats pretty extreme.
    I've never heard of anyone sailing in a 7mm, I think your movement would be too restricted.
    I hate drysuits though, so I'm a bit biased!

14. Merrily

Just off the top of my head, I think that 40 degrees F is about 3 or 4 degrees C.

15. I break things

I break things New Member

wearing a helmet??? thats the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard, especially in a laser. just wear a hat.

16. Nicko

Nicko New Member

I 've just done a frost bite and nippy fingers series wearing a 5mm long john wet suit, with a t-shirt underneath the suit and a fleece on top, with a spray jacket on top of that with the neck done up on a snood and the wrists tightly done up on some full tribord sailing gloves. Wetsocks and rooster hiking boots on my feet and a fleece hat on my head.
    We went out in winds often reaching 30 knts and wet over several times.
    The only time I got even sightly cold is when I had to sit in the water for a while as the boat came round head to wind. The problem was that water snuck up one of my wrists giving me a bit of a shock to the arm pit!
    Water temps were from 40*F up with air temps a little below that. There was always a safey boat on hand.

17. Merrily

I like your description "and nippy fingers series." Ain't it the truth! Also, thanks for full description of attire in cold water.

18. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

This pretty much describes my "serious cold" weather sailing gear. I also wear a thin thermal layer shirt. I usually end up sweating, but I have never taken a full dip in the water when it is under 50 degrees F either. I would imagine that if you are prone for a swim the dry suit would be the way to go.

19. bromanw

bromanw New Member

go out in your 5/3 with buddy in motor boat and have fun getting stung by the cold water but itll warm up in the suit rather quickly if its a sunny day. Be sure you have good boots and gloves