I am thinking of selling my 1986 Capri 14.2

Discussion in 'Capri/Catalina 14 Classified Ads' started by SHNOOL, Jun 8, 2009.

1. SHNOOL

SHNOOL Member

I am thinking of selling my 1986 Capri 14.2, hull number 860. Original sails in OK shape (now missing middle batten - again). I am thinking $800 for the package is quite reasonable... any takers... I can be persuaded to deliver if necessary (you pay my gas - I drive a RAM 2500 now, and that might NOT make a whole lot of sense over GREAT distance!).

I have had her 8 years now, she has been fun. I want bigger though (see my posts on the forum).

Trailer has 4 year old tires (good shape, 95% tread, no dry rot), bearing buddies, new wiring (as of 2 weeks ago), and June registerred (in PA). I had title to boat and to trailer, but I dunno if I can still find it them (but I am sure with persuasion PA DOT can reissue them).

Here is what I did to her in the last year. I stripped the teak, and tiller... clear coated (needs to be done again to both)... put wood blocks on the stern to mount a trolling motor (included in sale Minn Kota 30lbs transom mount motor 2 years old), new jib sheet, new main sheet, new line on traveler, new main halyard, new hiking straps (I had to rig the stern hiking strap, as I didn't want to tear apart the barney to remount it, but all the hardware is there). Also I installed a Minn Kota quick disconnect socket mount at the port side stern, cockpit, to hook up the motor (plug put onto motor as the male end). The battery is a deep cycle battery, but is also about 7 years old, and probably could use another one, but it still holds 50% charge. I also purchased a new bungee for the centerboard, and put a new one on the front hiking straps.

The shrouds might need replaced in the future, but they are not twisted or bent (catalina direct has them $75 for the pair).

Here she is in NO wind, before launch completely configured ON the trailer middle of last year (before all new lines).
    http://www.shnool.com/pictures/capri/100_0180.JPG

2. SHNOOL

SHNOOL Member

Darn... I would have thought there would have been a ton of takers... interesting.

3. c14_Justin

c14_Justin New Member

Maybe you could go for a nice vacation in the Camden / Rockland Maine area with Shnool, Sail the near by Lake Magonticook or Camden, Rockport or Rockland bay. I would definitely be interested if near by.

4. dmdrab

dmdrab New Member

Great Deal!

I am interested.

5. SHNOOL

SHNOOL Member

I am on vacation this week.. But Doylestown is close enough (Nockamixon is a neighbor!)...

email me: shnool @ yahoo.com We can work something out I am sure.

6. SailorTom

SailorTom New Member

I'm interested, too

But dmdrab gets first dibs. I'd be coming from Albany NY area. I have trailer hitch.

7. rayhas

rayhas New Member

Not asking enough

HI SHnool,

I kinda hope you don't sell for 2 reasons. I will miss your posts on the forum and you are not asking enough. I paid $600 for mine and have been repairing it for 6 months. I had to replace all of the gel coat as there were just too many scratches to let it go. Most of the scratches were through into the glass. Yours looks ready to sail now. Well worth the money you are asking.

8. santij

santij New Member

Julio Santiago

Is your boat still for sale ........................at 800.00 I'm interested.

9. javarob

javarob New Member

capri for sale

as was asked in a previous post... is she still for sale?

10. santij

santij New Member

Please response or remove ed........

11. SHNOOL

SHNOOL Member

The boat is still for sale... I have been waiting on a member here, for later this week to come look at it... He has first dibs, and he would be travelling from Albany NY... so I feel obligated to give him first crack at it.

He has to invest in a hitch for his tow vehicle, so I figured I'd give him the time to do so. I will let everyone know in 1 week if he decides not to purchase.

12. SHNOOL

SHNOOL Member

I do have scratches, and they are minor, and only gelcoat surface scratches. it also has some road rash (gravel kickup while on the trailer) which I had previously thought were osmosis blistering (they are way to small for that).

I have sailed it, actually acout 2 weeks ago. It is water ready, but a long way from Race ready (would need sails and a complete fairing, sanding and waxing)... It probably needs new shrouds, but they aren't going to fail, they are just due. Otherwise she is pretty bristol... A coat of varnish on the teak, and away we go.

13. jrmacris

jrmacris New Member

Still for Sale?

I am interested. Please contact me at jrmacris@hotmail.com, 410-693-6913. Best regards,
    Jeff Macris, Annapolis

14. SHNOOL

SHNOOL Member

I am on hold to see what unfolds this week.. boat might be sold.

I am on hold to see what unfolds this week.. boat might be sold.

Will update this post if for some reason it does not sell.

15. SHNOOL

SHNOOL Member

Boat is sold... thank you.

Boat is sold... thank you.

16. jcorliss78

jcorliss78 New Member

Boat sold

Congrats on the sale. Planning on remaining active on the forums? I've seen many a useful post come from you.

17. SHNOOL

SHNOOL Member

Once a sailor, always a sailor.

I will lurk around. Going through some rough stuff with a divorce right now. But plans are to upgrade to a Capri 22. I'd like to go bigger than that, but it isn't real practical now for me to think Blue water (which is ultimately what I want 32-36 foot).

A nice, brandy new go-fast, keel-boat would be an entertaining upgrade. The Ram 2500 is plenty of truck to pull it too (pull horses with it, why not?). Probably get a summer dock at Wallenpaupack (man made PP&L lake in PA).

I love the Capri 14.2, and I am sure I can still offer help to those starting out. Plus I want to stick with Catalina, as they have been wonderful to work with.

Also, keep in mind, the gentleman I sold it too, found it here on the board, I made him promise me he'd post his experiences here for all to share. I guarantee he'll have his own spin on rigging, and running.

Thanks everyone!