Humming daggerboard

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by mixmkr, Jul 24, 2017.

1. mixmkr

mixmkr Active Member

I have the original 69 wood board that has been epoxied, faired, gelcoated as needed. Its a pretty tight fit in the slot. Yesterday I put two vertical Velcro soft sided strips on each side...for and aft. Board still slide in ok but was a little tighter. Still hummed like a bad boy.
    Well...gonna fair it out more hydrodynamically when there's time as a last resort before a new glass one. Oh well....it's only $$$ on this free fish. :-/

2. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

As mentioned in other threads, the boat is singing to you because it's happy going fast.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Webfoot1

Webfoot1 Active Member

4. mixmkr

mixmkr Active Member

Thats the shape. Will leave what's in trunk alone when fully down. At worst case will become a barn door rudder when I get the glass board

5. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

Or, as member sailflow mentioned, the board may be warped.

Mine certainly is, and a bad varnish brush job has made the vibrating even more apparent.

(But the nice speed turns me happy again). :)

6. beldar boathead

beldar boathead Well-Known Member

Mine used to hum, and I was fine with it. But then it started just humming "it's a small world after all" from Disney World. That was driving me nuts so then I fixed it to stop humming.

7. Eddie_E

Eddie_E Member

Don't run a sharp trailing edge. Take a sanding block and sand the trailing edge 1/8" thick with a 20 degree taper by sanding that side more. It will not hum after that. so the back will be I/ as opposed to V

8. mixmkr

mixmkr Active Member

I love that song!! ;-D